Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone notice the amount of times Grundy from a ruck contest around the ground dropped the ball into spots where none of our onballers were even close to. He was winning clearly and it just seemed they weren’t switched on.
I noticed that apart from Pendlebury, our midfielders stand flat footed at ruck contests. It could be possible that they don’t actually know how it works. When was the last time Treloar actually roved the ball from either a tap out or off a pack?

Given the midfielders we have, including those players that can rotate in, I’m wondering if we should be reviewing the midfield coach’s position. It seems Longmuir is gone whether it be as coach of Freo or an assistant at Carlton. We need to see what it would take to get someone like Mitchell from Hawthorn to run the midfield.

I'm at peace with it, it's a fair result.

We could have won and would have deserved it after that comeback; despite a bad day we did what good teams do, find a way to get back into it.

Many of our boys had quiet ones but Darcy deserves a shout out, he was brilliant.

I'm at peace with it, it's a fair result.

We could have won and would have deserved it after that comeback; despite a bad day we did what good teams do, find a way to get back into it.

Many of our boys had quiet ones but Darcy deserves a shout out, he was brilliant.
As was Howe. The defence has been underrated all year imo.

Why did he keep tapping BACK towards the GWS goal?!?

That was clearly a pre-planned tactic - we continually tried to go out the back to get time and space but GWS read the play and were swarming all over us, causing fumbles, turnovers and no-look hack kicks.

By contrast, GWS just tried to get the ball forward by any means - ugly, precise, whatever, just get it forward. And it worked. We finally cottoned-on and did the same thing in Q4 out of desperation and, surprise surprise, it worked for us too. Shame it took us three quarters to abandon the slow stodgy predictable timid rubbish that dug us into an unrecoverable hole.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

True.
But we need to move on.
Varcoe will be let go.
We need better options for the best 22 but Varcoe should be kept for depth. He can still play a role and is durable. Would prefer he be the first option to come in when there is injury over someone like Crocker.

Couldnt care less about the other clubs.

As I said in an earlier post, we have played in 22 prelims for 2 flags in my lifetime. There is always someone better than us. We are never THE team. We will never have an era.
Time for bed....

Darcy Fogarty? (Plus extras)
Apparently Grundy is looking at going home?

I'm a pragmatic kinda guy. If we don't want to give him 7 years, trade him. If he doesn't want to stay, trade him. If he does want to stay, sign him asap.

But realistically a Fogarty probably isn't going to make the difference. Cameron would. Lynch would. Brown might. But you need genuine difference makers.

I'd take Bruce in a heartbeat.

Seems on the move from St Kilda. I think he’d be a great fit for you - mobile, strong and can even pinch hit in the ruck to relieve Grundy.

Couldnt care less about the other clubs.

As I said in an earlier post, we have played in 22 prelims for 2 flags in my lifetime. There is always someone better than us. We are never THE team. We will never have an era.

Yes, absolutely correct, yet we are apparently the biggest club in the land with the best resources. We have a great coach (admit I was a critic at first).
I think our recruiting team need to do better. We struggle recruiting the big ones. Missed out on Lynch so maybe Cameron. Wells, Beams cost us big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we found out a little bit about our list today. Not all bad in my view.

Hard to win a prelim without your best ballistic beast out there. JDG won games for us in 2018. We’ll never know whether he would have played in the GF but let’s face it, it wasn’t great prep. We need him playing 18 H&A and hitting form and fitness well before the eve of finals. Not flying to freekin Munich on a Hail Mary in mid-September. He would have thrived in today’s conditions if fit.
Martin is a great example; he had a poor start to the year, but returned to his best in the second half of the year to lift the tigs into the top 4 and another GF.

Noble needs a pre-season. He may end up being ok. It is unfortunate that we didn’t have any other similar types (e.g. Appleby was injured most of the year and struggled when his chance came / IQ injured late / Murphy injured all year). I can’t really fault Bucks for playing him as there weren’t too many fit speedy half backs waiting in the wings.
Noble exceeded my expectations this year, not sure he's a defender longterm, but a pre-season learning the role will give him a better chance.

Don’t think the single game in 29 days suited Mihocek. He is a workhorse and thrives on touch.
Reid and Mihocek also lacked cohesion and often lead for the same footy.

WHE needs a big pre-season and needs to lift.

The one major positive for me this finals series was Darcy. I loved his dad as a player and have a real soft spot for him. He towelled up Cameron (a great player) today whose goals came when Darcy was not on him. His huge mark on the wing in the last quarter was one of the best marks I’ve seen given the moment in the game. I’m thrilled for the kid. I think he’s loyal to Collingwood and we may have seen him just turn a critical corner in his career. As his star rises, he will take his team with him.
As much as I would liked to see Moore switched forward in the last quarter, he took some important marks in the last to send as forward again. Played All Australian quality form this year and if it wasn't for injury he should have been in the 40 man squad at the very least.

One thing is clear - we need a harder, more ruthless edge. I think it’s time for Pendles to hand over the Captaincy to Adams or Maynard - someone who won’t ever take a backward step and will demand nothing short total commitment from team-mates.

12 clangers today. That’s what we want from a captain. Someone who leads from the front like that.

I noticed that apart from Pendlebury, our midfielders stand flat footed at ruck contests. It could be possible that they don’t actually know how it works. When was the last time Treloar actually roved the ball from either a tap out or off a pack?

Given the midfielders we have, including those players that can rotate in, I’m wondering if we should be reviewing the midfield coach’s position. It seems Longmuir is gone whether it be as coach of Freo or an assistant at Carlton. We need to see what it would take to get someone like Mitchell from Hawthorn to run the midfield.
I hope we can fast track Tyler Brown next year. While he hasn't won a heap of footy at VFL level he's always on the move at stoppages and looks to engage/bounce off his direct opponent to create space and burst through the contest.

We're one forward away from being the best team imo. I am positive for next year. People need to remember that flags often take a few years to get it right. Hawthorn lost to us and then Sydney before getting it right. West coast followed a similar pathway. We have so many guns coming into their prime. Keep the faith. We're close.

It's hard to tell and shout when the other team are getting repeat clearances and repeat inside 50 entries.
Pendlebury's goal that was belatedly called touched certainly brought the crowd alive and my sense is it my have been a game changer. We'll never know, but if we got that goal and another before half time it may have opened the game up in our favour with 80K 'pies fans up and about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back