Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 hurts more, but 2019 annoys me more. At least last year we gave our all and came up short instead of being eliminated on the back of just one good quarter of footy. The giants worried me going in, but if we played the level of footy displayed in the last quarter earlier it would been an easy win. Suspect the GF would have been a struggle given our form, however anything could have happened.

It's losses like this that just kill you. I hate being attached to this club so closely sometimes, makes you just wonder what the hells the point of it all.

Maybe one day all this pain will be worth it, I dunno.

They were terrible for three quarters, no hiding from it. Couldn’t fumble more if they tried.

I wonder if the week off before the finals and after the qualifying final played a role in that? Not a lot of footy to maintain touch.

De Goey and Stephenson are best in the forward line, and Sier is no good.

De Goey would have played a fair bit in the midfield yesterday -- when we were getting smashed (again) out of the middle. Stephenson will probably play wing more, I think. The jury is out on Sier, yes.

I feel for the crap Brown is taking on this board. Because he shouldn't have been put in that position -- he hasn't been in form for 8 weeks. A lot of us called it before the game. So that's on the coaches.

I do share your concerns though. I think Pendlebury and Sidebottom are definitely teetering on the cliff. I expect yesterday will be the new norm for them next year.

Please help me understand how continually bleating the obvious changes anything.

Why do you want to burden our poor historical performance on our current playing group? Because that’s exactly what you’re doing with the irrelevant references to our history.
Might be irrelevant to the current players - not irrelevant to the club or to those supporters who have lived through it - don't think I've named or bagged current players specifically--more twds posters who are blind to our mediocre finals performance

Last edited:
Fox footy going on about the Thomas goal non review and having a big whinge. How about the Grundy push in the back?

2 flags since 1958 let that sink in and you wonder why we demand success. I’ll say it, bucks is an ok coach but I wonder if we need to be on the look out.

If an SA club offers a gold mine of picks for Grundy do we take it and I mean an absolute gold mine of picks. I’d hate to lose him for nothing under free agency.
I would. Yesterday proved that ruck dominance matters little if you don’t have the foot soldiers. We got smashed in the contest and the middle.

Ok ... boundary umpire called it out not on the full and it was right in front of him so I guess that probably settles it. Ironically another heroic smother from Elliot from behind but prob wouldn't have gone OOF anyway if he hadn't smothered. Looked at it in super slo-mo and still couldn't tell.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

De Goey would have played a fair bit in the midfield yesterday -- when we were getting smashed (again) out of the middle. Stephenson will probably play wing more, I think. The jury is out on Sier, yes.

I feel for the crap Brown is taking on this board. Because he shouldn't have been put in that position -- he hasn't been in form for 8 weeks. A lot of us called it before the game. So that's on the coaches.

I do share your concerns though. I think Pendlebury and Sidebottom are definitely teetering on the cliff. I expect yesterday will be the new norm for them next year.

Wing players need to have elite endurance, not sure Stevo is ready to play there, or if he'll ever be a wing player.

Brown isn't a 1st year kid anymore, he's been in the system for a while now and when he regularly plays like this all of a sudden his spot on our list isn't even secure. Tiny player with mediocre skills, not a good combination.

Our collective youth with him Daicos T.Brown Murphy Crocker Appleby is a concern, we've sold our future with how many 1st and 2nd round draft picks we've given away over the past few years and it's now going to back to bite us, hard. 2020 will probably be the last roll of the dice with this current group and I just don't see where improvement is going to come from. Our midfield is carried by guys in the 26-30 age bracket and they are going to slow down, not improve.

Last edited:
Wing players need to have elite endurance, not sure Stevo is ready to play there, or if he'll ever be a wing player.

Brown isn't a 1st year kid anymore, he's been in the system for a while now and when he regularly plays like this all of a sudden his spot on our list isn't even secure. Tiny player with mediocre skills, not a good combination.

Yeah, I reckon Brown will face an uphill battle. His skills are fine but he only kick 40 meters. And he's not a marking threat. I think he's a role player, and will sit forever around the edge of the 22. Reminds me a lot of Blair, tbh. He'll get another couple of years but he's up against it. He'll probably be saved by the retirements in the next couple of years.

On that note -- damn we missed Greenwood yesterday. His hardness would have been vital.

It's losses like this that just kill you. I hate being attached to this club so closely sometimes, makes you just wonder what the hells the point of it all.

Maybe one day all this pain will be worth it, I dunno.
It’s worth it, even if you don’t see another flag.

Waking up this morning to the realisation we aren’t in the Grand Final feels worse than yesterday.
It's hard but it sorta feels like 2007 in a weird way.

I just hope the club make an honest assessment of our list and takes no short cuts moving forward. Clearly when we recruited Wells and Beams it was for the 'here and now' moment. I love both players but we've been close two years running and for two years (Beams one year) they have both been missing. If we are going to recruit any mature players I hope we get that one right moving forward. BTW Beams is an important player to keep over the next 2-3 years and I hope he comes good.

We also need to get our soft tissue injuries right. We have sent 3 players to that guy in Germany. Seriously? Has any other sporting club in the world sent 3 players to this guy? Does he have a Flybuys systems for earning points if you keep sending players to him or something because we need it moving forward.

I have seen to many losing GF to care about next week. What I do know is GWS cleaned us up big time yesterday both coaching and playing. Make no mistake, with the amount of players they had out coming off 2 hard finals, the scoreline was flattering.

Get our injury list right and invest in our kids, we'll be right.

Go Pies

Recruiting WHE was a mistake.

Recruiting Mayne was a huge mistake

Recruiting Wells was a huge mistake

Recruiting Beams was a huge mistake

Not having a single good KP forward was a mistake

Not having a coordinated midfield despite the best ruckmen this decade was a mistake.

Having no rebounding defender was a mistake

Buckley being the longest coach to never win a flag will be a mistake
So but for a dogleg bounce of a ball Malthouse would be a mistake.
But for a non call on a shepard Buckley wouldnt be.

Honestly, theres a bloody lot of luck in this game.

Was really hoping for a pies win and a classic between Collingwood and Richmond, as a neutral supporter I reckon the pies lost by only playing “ wet weather” footy “ for 1 qrtr. Didn’t play to the conditions for most of the match, Bucks is a good coach but his philosophy was wrong yesterday and it’s now handed Richmond a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Destiny awaits another season - Magpies lose by 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back