List Mgmt. DFA targets

Remove this Banner Ad

hearing a little bit of Lachlan Dalgleish's name tbh, make of it what use will.

That would be a bit left field. Only 3 games in a couple of seasons due to injury.

Only 22yo and would provide outside run and carry which we do still need. What I liked reading on his AFL live app bio was that he is a great ball user with speed and damaging disposal. On the downside it says that he needs to improve his running patterns to find more of the ball.

So good user of the ball but may not be a high possession winner. Isaac Smith type?

Either or
The move is to simply buy low and sell high (a NBA / NFL trick) so if there is room on the senior list...remember, you're hoping for a 12 month investment
Love His Speed and something we need.

So might be worth a Shot on the Cheap
Not enough spots on the senior list for all the players we are after but he is worth the risk.

Gorringe and Dalgliesh for mine. Both young. Big and quick respectively. Great depth as well.

Adcock - old, but experience and can teach the youngsters off half back.

Pass on White, Simpkin and any others listed.

If premiership window was open would have a serious look at Stokes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dalgleish or Darley, **** we need pace.

Also Mitch Brown was delisted and now everybody wants him.

Dalgleish or Darley, **** we need pace.

Also Mitch Brown was delisted and now everybody wants him.
Mitch Brown will be last years version of Liam Jones. Had an impact at VFL level playing on small defenders, which is not the sort of test that would warrant a AFL list recall.

Gorringe and Dalgliesh for mine. Both young. Big and quick respectively. Great depth as well.

Adcock - old, but experience and can teach the youngsters off half back.

Pass on White, Simpkin and any others listed.

If premiership window was open would have a serious look at Stokes.

It is terribly hard to get excited about what is out there this year. I agree with your suggestions there both are worth a look, I would think Gorringe gets taken before we get a sniff though.

I do like Ahmed Saad, mainly because we need a quick small forward and he foots the bill better than most, not an inspiring choice but none the less serves a purpose in an area where we are barren.

Adcock I do think has something to offer (leadership amongst them). But it all depends on what we want to do with these selections.

Do we want hail mary project players like Spencer White or do we want solid depth players? I for one am over project players we have enough. I think we need to shore up our depth. Guys who can come in and know how to play at AFL level if we (as usual) have an injury crisis at some point. For that reason Adcock, Saad, Farren Ray, Stokes & Jonathon Simpkin should be looked at. They may only stay on list for a 2 years but they provide some certainty and depth.

There is a bunch being delisted who have great potential but been destroyed by injury. Woodward is one but I am not sure its worth the risk as sad as that is.

Matthew Watson is worth a conversation. Many will scoff, i scoffed at myself, but then I did think he spent 5 years at a club that more than likely stuffed his development right up. He has some very good tools. Not sure he makes best 22 but he is one that can play both ends in case of an emergency which makes him great depth. If it was a Carlton development thing then we could hit the jackpot like every other club that picks up ex Carlton players - they seem to thrive away from Optus Oval (yes I still call it that).

Kieren Harper is one that won't get much attention. This guy has serious ability. He has had injuries and I suspect he has had work rate/discipline issues - his skills are no doubt AFL quality. Perhaps he is not cut out for the modern game. However he has the potential to be a very dangerous forward.

Given that we've now lost Abbott and as usual we'll be in the position that if Cloke goes down we're thin on KPF options; I think Mitch Brown might be worth a shot and maybe even Daw. The potential for these two to break out and surprise everyone and become best 22 is there. Stokes could also be useful for a year to teach Fasolo and Elliot how to play like a small forward but that's about it. Gorringe will be gone early but he'd be a good get for future trading options if he somehow fell to us. Big NO on anyone else unless they are young and talented enough to have a genuine chance of pushing best 22. I am firmly of the belief that you NEVER recruit for depth and injury cover if you don't believe a player could get into best 22 on his own merits and doesn't fit your age profile.. eg Farren Ray, Simpkin, Adcock etc.

Given that we've now lost Abbott and as usual we'll be in the position that if Cloke goes down we're thin on KPF options; I think Mitch Brown might be worth a shot and maybe even Daw. The potential for these two to break out and surprise everyone and become best 22 is there. Stokes could also be useful for a year to teach Fasolo and Elliot how to play like a small forward but that's about it. Gorringe will be gone early but he'd be a good get for future trading options if he somehow fell to us. Big NO on anyone else unless they are young and talented enough to have a genuine chance of pushing best 22. I am firmly of the belief that you NEVER recruit for depth and injury cover if you don't believe a player could get into best 22 on his own merits and doesn't fit your age profile.. eg Farren Ray, Simpkin, Adcock etc.
Carlton under Ratten recruited for depth because the Carlton powerbrokers demanded results. 3 years later with a couple of retirements they are talent riddened and going know where. Recruiting for depth is messing with danger hence why most teams make so many list changers each year looking for the next big thing.

Dalgleish and Gorringe then run away like weve.robbed a bank
I look forward in seeing what the club does. I hope we have the chance to list these players, but I don't think the club sees them in the same light as we do.

Some conflicting statements in there. I don't think there is hard and fast rules on recruiting strategy. You have to recruit based on where you are and where you want to be. Horses for courses. Depth and injury cover is integral if you want to have any hope of being a flag threat ever, unless you have Jesus on your medical team.

I think we now are approaching a fine best 22, however as you pointed out we have some areas like key forward and backs that if we get injuries we in big trouble. Mitch Brown is an ideal depth player but not best 22 for us, however he could become vital if the worst happens - he would be an example of recruiting for depth and injury cover, although he likely will go before we get a chance.

This is a year where there is simply not a lot of talent about so you are really going to be lucky to find the next big thing in a DFA and even the draft this year. Its a time where we should look for players that are going to fill holes in our depth chart (and we have quite a few), rather than give opportunities to unlikely risky prospects that may succeed but most likely end up on the delisted list and contributing nothing. I think every player picked up should serve a purpose in the overall direction of the club.

Age profile is an important factor but as you say a Stokes who is going to be 30 next year could perform a mentor role whilst serving as a fall back for the senior team, Adcock and Ray similarly.They are all unlikely to be best 22 or in our next flag - but they may provide a temporary experience fix and some education/leadership.

We have loaded up on a lot of youth and a lot of top end talent in the last few years, I expect we will soon be taking the next step (which started in this years trade period) in targeting players who will round the team off in areas of deficiency. Hawthorn & Geelong have done this for years to maintain success and support the quality youth it drafted in originally.

So what's the go with DFAs? Do they go straight onto the main list with the offset being 1 less draft pick per added player?

Or do we just nominate them (like Frost) and then add them via a late draft pick?

It's been very quiet on the DFA front. Very little news from any clubs being linked to players. Seeing it's been open since Saturday I would have thought there would be a few rumours floating around considering it's a weak draft year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. DFA targets