Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
It was quite evident that Hawthorn players and coaches didn't react well to Hinkley's post game comments last night and it definitely got under their skin. Hinkley claimed Ginnivan's comments earlier in the week were the trigger for his actions. It wasn't a good look for Hinkley but for Hawthorn it seems like a classic case of being able to dish it, but can't take it when it comes your way.

The questions is - Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility that's going to hurt them next year or even years from now? There's no doubt that teams are going to look to get under their skin again after what they saw last night.

What are your thoughts?

It was quite evident that Hawthorn players and coaches didn't react well to Hinkley's post game comments last night and it definitely got under their skin. Hinkley claimed Ginnivan's comments earlier in the week were the trigger for his actions. It wasn't a good look for Hinkley but for Hawthorn it seems like a classic case of being able to dish it, but can't take it when it comes your way.

The questions is - Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility that's going to hurt them next year or even years from now? There's no doubt that teams are going to look to get under their skin again after what they saw last night.

What are your thoughts?
Yes, they did.

But I think everyone knew it was there, and their antics have reeked of immaturity - so I'm not sure it was exposed as much as it was just verified.

What was more concerning for Hawthorn was that their game style was found out.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

Port took away their ball movement, which killed them.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.

Yes, they did.

But I think everyone knew it was there, and their antics have reeked of immaturity - so I'm not sure it was exposed as much as it was just verified.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.
The type of football that you get more exposure to come finals time, as Port Adelaide well knows to its detriment.

Hawks have had a year to be proud of, and yet Sam Mitchell got one thing spot on, they finish at the edge of the top 6. Their last 5 losses have been against the top 4 teams, which paints the same picture.

Will need to take another step up to legitimately challenge for a flag.

Wonder if Josh was watching?
Wondering if he’ll ever get to play a final?
(Just kidding, I like the talk, just has to back it up)
I agree players talking is fine they gotta go out and back it up (or try to) ginni wasn't amazing but had an OK game...

Coach that doesn't have to back it up, talking shite after the fact at a time they're meant to be honouring another player career... see previous post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes Hawthorn have a younger playing group who were very emotionally invested, but that's what you want.

Wouldn't call it a "mental fragility". Without it, they would've stayed bottom 4. They came home with a wet sail because of that internal vibe they are generating. Wouldn't change a thing for next year, just use the SF loss to burn harder.

FWIW, wouldn't overread into the Hinkley situation either. Wind back the clock 20-30 years and there would've been a massive all-in brawl at some point in the game. Players know they can't lose their shit like that anymore without reaping the consequences. So it bubbles over with a few post-game words. Move on.

Nope
Sicily is a hothead and Hinkley wanted to have a go back at someone after holding his cool after being a punching bag non stop so long.

Oh, and Ginnivan is a bit of a wa.ker
Think that about it.

Yes, they did.

Swarm the ball carrier.

Missing Day and Mackenzie made that look even worse. Day has the ability to escape more often than not, Mackenzie has that bit of class ball in hand

Can we stop pretending like “see u in 14 days” comment to a Swans player, not even referencing Ken or Port is somehow equal to a coach deciding to tee-off on an opposition player after the game?

Hawks players celebrating goals or getting around each other after wins seems to have really upset a few.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.

Yes, they did.

Swarm the ball carrier.

Was the margin 3 points or 12 goals.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

What are your thoughts?

What does this question even mean when you consider the timing of the incident?

All of this took place after the final siren when our season was confirmed to be at an end. Even if you believe there were signs of 'mental fragility', how can any of that be used in the context of in-season competition? There's no next week to use as basis for the impact it could have.

The biggest takeaway from all of this is that a 57 year old man, who is meant to be a leader of young men, acted with far more immaturity than the 21 year old player who clearly lived rent free in his mind all week.

On top of this, he proved to be an ungracious winner, while taking the moment away from his own team to address his own personal insecurity.

But the WORST part was that due to his selfishness, a moment that is usually shared and celebrated between two sides (the chairing off of a 300 game player), was reduced to an awkward afterthought.

James Sicily, by comparison, tried his best to compose himself to shift the focus to Luke Breust.
An emotional Sam Mitchell followed up in the press conference with humility, ensuring the situation was addressed with honesty but never veering into circus territory. Ken could learn a thing or two.

I'm proud of the way my club handelled the situation.
I'm also beyond proud that they were the width of a goalpost away from a preliminary final appearance after starting the season 0-5.

Bring on 2025.

But there’s a reason the AFL has given Ken a please explain.

Ginnivan stuff is harmless, as was Hinkley.

Providing there's no homophobic, racist or overtly violent conduct, the occasional banter is fine.

Even if there's a please explain, the AFL and networks are going to flog it in the lead up to when Hawthorn and Port presumably face each other in the early rounds next year.

Last edited:
I would argue the opposite. Port were brilliant in their commitment, intensity and planning from the start of the match and our backline held up really well early. At no stage did we really have the match in our control but the whole side persisted really well, under the pump for 3 quarters and then could have won it with a minute left.

Hawthorn got dragged into the trenches and were absolutely up for it. Anyone who actually watched the game with a clear head would recognise it. Finals often don’t get played on your terms and this one wasn’t. Quite often a team will wilt like that but no way it happened with Hawthorn.

Typical BigFooty. Just give Port credit instead of clutching for non-existent subplots

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back