Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that you’ve probably had to make a lot of excuses for Clarko this year, but does it really need to be explained that a senior couch is held to a higher level of expected behavior?

There’s lots of supporters who aren’t fans of the Hawks who think Ken was being a dickhead. Seemingly the AFL too, now that he’s copped the $20k fine.
Ahh the AFL the fine upholders of integrity.

Yes, they did.

But I think everyone knew it was there, and their antics have reeked of immaturity - so I'm not sure it was exposed as much as it was just verified.

What was more concerning for Hawthorn was that their game style was found out.

Swarm the ball carrier.

It crippled them. Made their good players that have had good seasons look like duds.

There were discussions on here relatively recently about how Hawthorn would look once the opposition put work into them. Well we saw that last night. They didn't have the answers.

Port took away their ball movement, which killed them.

That's the part that was exposed. And that's the part that will be interesting to see how and if Hawthorn can overcome it.

Port's success against Hawthorn wasn’t some revelation or exposure of a fundamental flaw that can be easily replicated by the rest of the competition. Port’s ability to execute that specific game plan—dominate stoppages, win territory, apply relentless forward pressure, and cut off Hawthorn’s ball movement—is a combination of both strategy and personnel, and few teams can match that level of discipline and consistency.

Clarkson himself has long pointed out that beating Hawthorn requires forcing them into long, predictable kicks down the line by applying aggressive pressure at the stoppages and in the midfield. However, knowing what needs to be done and executing it at a high level are two different things. Teams like Port Adelaide, who already comprise a well-drilled midfield and structured pressure game, have the tools to pull it off, but it's not a sustainable strategy for many other teams in the competition.

Port's strength lies in their ability to apply consistent pressure across all four quarters. Few teams can do that as effectively. When you look at how 12 of 18 teams in the AFL don’t have the midfield strength to convincingly beat Hawthorn at the stoppages, it becomes clear that replicating Port's blueprint is far from straightforward. The disciplined, sustained intensity Port brings is a hallmark of their game plan, but the vast majority of teams either lack the personnel or the tactical organisation to execute that same pressure game effectively for an entire match.

Moreover, Hawthorn’s ability to stay in the game despite having their run nullified demonstrates resilience. A lesser team would have crumbled, but Hawthorn almost pinched the win despite being on the back foot for most of the game. This doesn't indicate a mentally fragile team; in fact, it shows they have the mental fortitude to stay competitive, even when their preferred style of play is disrupted. Contrast that with Port’s capitulation against Geelong when they couldn't get the game on their terms – that’s a clearer example of mental fragility.

Calling Hawthorn “exposed” is an oversimplification. Teams like Port will always have the ability to stifle their game plan, but most of the competition lacks the capacity to apply that level of relentless pressure for four quarters. The real test will be whether Hawthorn can tweak their approach to avoid being stifled by the handful of teams that can, but as of now, they remain well-positioned to continue their strong performances against the majority of the league.

A 57 year old baiting a 21 year old- what pillock. Kenny showing disturbing signs of an imminent mental breakdown.
And will cry at the drop of a hat and play the “be kind… mental health card”.
Bloke is 99% fried.

His own supporters boo him to tears. He was so sad they didn’t like him he howled on live TV for attention.

I’ve never known so many power supporters who were happy to win and happy to lose if it meant they’d be rid of “daddy donuts”

They deface Alberton with “Sack Hinkley” signs.

They walk out on their team…

The media questions his ability/tenure and the physicality of their leaders…

Yet Kenny with his pissant finals record used an Insta post to fuel them….

What a weak mob they are.

Stinkley will use anything to deflect deflect deflect

I reckon the “Wiz” needs to be reminded he’s a mere neophyte apprentice
Maybe a real Wizard might actually make his head disappear next time he ducks for a free

You're right it's not their job to celebrate Luke Breust, it's Hawks job to beat Port by 10 goals every game from now on.

Exactly. Finish 2nd and look the goods, fall apart week 1 then revive yourself based on a Twitter post by a kid?

Swans must be salivating at the thought of destroying Port. How ****ing fragile.

So we shouldn’t expect sportmanship from Port once the siren is sounded in the sporting field, but we should definitely go hard at Ginnivan for writing a throw away comment on Instagram.

You’re having a laugh.
About the Ginnivan Situation, Probably not the best thing to do with that instagram post and declaring that prediction 2 weeks out.

If this was the 1970s or 1980s or even the 1990s, this would of never existed. The internet was in its infancy in the 1990s. Bigfooty has existed since the 2000s.

As far as Breusts 300th game. Yeah regardless of his character, he should be Chaired off. But yeah it was a cut throat final, an important final with a lot on the line.

I mean come to think of it, There wasnt many Dramas or crazy moments when Silk Burgoyne made it to 400 AFL games. Regardless of what club he played for, I respected Silk Burgoyne and clapped him off from my local pub when he was chaired off in his 400th game.

And will cry at the drop of a hat and play the “be kind… mental health card”.
Bloke is 99% fried.

His own supporters boo him to tears. He was so sad they didn’t like him he howled on live TV for attention.

I’ve never known so many power supporters who were happy to win and happy to lose if it meant they’d be rid of “daddy donuts”

They deface Alberton with “Sack Hinkley” signs.

They walk out on their team…

The media questions his ability/tenure and the physicality of their leaders…

Yet Kenny with his pissant finals record used an Insta post to fuel them….

What a weak mob they are.

Stinkley will use anything to deflect deflect deflect
Yet they were somehow able to dismantle Hawthorn's game.

With half their backline missing
Yeah sure he carried on like a prat post game did Ken, but he had the better of Mitchell Friday night
They dominated the midfield so we struggled to get clean entries forward. Their great pressure around the ball managed to minimise their weakness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With half their backline missing
Yeah sure he carried on like a prat post game did Ken, but he had the better of Mitchell Friday night
And still nearly lost.

I don't know the answer to the question posed. And I am not sure if this has been brought up here or elsewhere. But I just want to see Hawthorn v Port on a Friday night at the MCG in round 1. Is that too much to ask?
Not going to happen in Round 1 but will no doubt be early in the season.
I would guess we are playing in Opening Round next season, then Essendon in Round 1 and then potentially Port round 2 (depending on if Ken is still in the job)

The fact that you're happy to post child abuse on a public forum says everything about you

It’s just a video game, it’s ok. The world’s not ending. You must be outraged with what is posted on the video games subforum on this site, videos of people being murdered!

It's a video game? If a video game had sexual abuse of a child, that's fine too? It's simulating child abuse and you posted it.

You’ve become hysterical. You should go over to the video games sun forum and complain that their games simulate murder, slavery, abuse etc etc. oh lawdy.

You’ve become hysterical. You should go over to the video games sun forum and complain that their games simulate murder, slavery, abuse etc etc. oh lawdy.
Yeah we know there's all sorts of stuff going on in video games that isn't real, but when you go those forums there's a context around it. I don't think posting that here is a good reading of the room. It's a bit fvcked.

Yeah we know there's all sorts of stuff going on in video games that isn't real, but when you go those forums there's a context around it. I don't think posting that here is a good reading of the room. It's a bit fvcked.

Meh I don’t want to derail this great thread so I’ll leave it there. But his level of outrage was clearly a matter of convenience rather than him genuinely getting upset at a video game (and he doesn’t seem to have realised that it was a video game).

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back