Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

• Yes

Votes: 90 64.7%
  • No

Votes: 49 35.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting going forward how Port look for external motivations when booing, mocking, defacing alberton with “Sack Hinkley”… the abuse of their captain or pushing Kenny to crying on live tv doesnt evoke any passion or response.

Any other team and any other coach I would have said, meh was probably raised during the week but wouldn’t have impacted much.

Ken and port? Ken would have used this as a focal point in shifting their mentality and getting them up for the hawks game. It’s his MO. Wines even alluded to it after the game. I think the hawks fans who think it was barely used are living in fantasy land.

Hawthorn has been showboating, taking selfies on field with the opposition in view

You mean they celebrated a win? This isn't taunting or gloating it is celebrating. What Hinkley did, not so much.

and carrying on with social media all season. This is twisting the knife, but because its a young team, they were winning and neutrals were on board (with the stupid "hokball" shit) it was just "oh the young fellas just having a bit of fun"

Twisting the knife. Hahahahahaha. You're as unhinged as Hinkley. I don't think you understand social media very well.

Look at all these knife twisters: How dare they celebrate a win:

image.jpg

Now that it has bitten them on the arse it's all of a sudden a huge issue and a different ballpark? No, taunting takes many forms and Hawthorn has been doing it all season.

No they haven't. As for bitten on the arse, I think your thumping of Port had a lot more to do with how they came out in their final against us than "see you in 14 days".

Cop it on the chin and move on, use it as fuel next year or whatever, but this act that Hawthorns coach, captain and now apparently fans is performing is just embarrassing to watch as a neutral.

"Neutral", now I know you're trolling.

Last edited:
Any other team and any other coach I would have said, meh was probably raised during the week but wouldn’t have impacted much.

Ken and port? Ken would have used this as a focal point in shifting their mentality and getting them up for the hawks game. It’s his MO. Wines even alluded to it after the game. I think the hawks fans who think it was barely used are living in fantasy land.
No. I absolutely hated the reply to an insta post. Stupid. Invited the karma bus.

On field go for your life at Ginnivan. Fans boo him… absolutely deserved.

A coach 5 mins post siren mocking a losing side after an outstanding contest where Port were clearly the better side (but very easily could have lost) is classless. It is unhinged from the senior coach. And he does have form. Win or lose.

I didnt like Mitchells use of Ginnis age.
But i did like Sicily backing his side in an emotional time.

I go by the great Jack Cahill… “lose… say little.. win say even less”.

Last edited:

No. I absolutely hated the reply to an insta post. Stupid. Invited the karma bus.

On field go for your life at Ginnivan. Fans boo him… absolutely deserved.

A coach 5 mins post siren mocking a losing side after an outstanding contest where Port were clearly the better side (but very easily could have lost) is classless. It is unhinged from the senior coach. And he does have form. Win or lose.

I didnt like Mitchells use of Ginnis age.
But i did like Sicily backing his side in an emotional time.

I do by the great Jack Cahill… “lose… say little.. win say even less”.

I love your avatar by the way

Cue the mental pygmies performing their mental gymnastics.

Ginnivan comment bad sportsmanship.
Hinkley comment good banter.
Both good (cringeworthy, ultimately harmless) banter. Should've been "Oh Ken you silly git", everyone laughs it off and we move on. It was well known Ginnivan wouldn't have cared.

The faux outrage and hysterics have turned it into a story. People are more interested in the reactions than either "incident" itself.

Both good (cringeworthy, ultimately harmless) banter.

We know what Ginni posted. What did Hinkley say? Hinkley refused to tell us in the presser when asked. How can you call it harmless when we you don't even know the content? Was it harmless when Clarko called the Saints player a ********er? Hopefully you don't think it was. Without knowing exactly what Hinkley said, I don't see how you can say it was harmless. I suspect the AFL knows what he said, and that there is a reason their fines were the same.

We know what Ginni posted. What did Hinkley say? Hinkley refused to tell us in the presser when asked. How can you call it harmless when we you don't even know the content? Was it harmless when Clarko called the Saints player a ********er? Hopefully you don't think it was. Without knowing exactly what Hinkley said, I don't see how you can say it was harmless. I suspect the AFL knows what he said, and that there is a reason their fines were the same.
We know the gist of it, if a "****wit" or "dickhead" was thrown in there, it's nothing most Aussie blokes haven't heard here and there. Oh but it's a work place and an older man was involved! I wish I could pretend to get worked up about that, I really do.

As much as I'd love to hear 30 more paragraphs on what unknown words I may or may not believe are harmless, hopefully you can find someone else to continue that discussion with. If you want to "guess" that you should be outraged, I welcome you to it.

His presser was more embarrassing to be honest. Went Dutton when asked why Hinkley ‘see you next week’ before game is any different. Moved on to ‘anyway let’s talk about what was a very good game’

We know the gist of it, if a "****wit" or "dickhead" was thrown in there, it's nothing most Aussie blokes haven't heard here and there. Oh but it's a work place and an older man was involved! I wish I could pretend to get worked up about that, I really do.

As much as I'd love to hear 30 more paragraphs on what unknown words I may or may not believe are harmless, hopefully you can find someone else to continue that discussion with. If you want to "guess" that you should be outraged, I welcome you to it.
Referencing typical Aussie blokes is probably a good explanation. If someone calls you a ****wit or dickhead, you probably just laugh it off, but if someone calls your mate that, most blokes will fire up and return serve. So given that, it's quite amusing that everyone is calling Sic a sook for standing up for a mate, when just about everyone would do the same.

It's also a pretty weird thing to dismiss the workplace argument. If we called someone a ******** at work, there'd be strong repercussions. Given Hinkley was fined 20k (the same as Clarko), it's more than just a guess that he did similar.

Fair play to him, there's vision of him laughing when Ken is talking to him. Ken laughs back, he walks off and that was the end of it - until Sicily stuck his head in and got salty.
Siciliy had just hit the post - I'm sure his emotions were on edge at the time. Which is exactly why you don't do it. It is poor form by Hinkley.

Fair play to him, there's vision of him laughing when Ken is talking to him. Ken laughs back, he walks off and that was the end of it - until Sicily stuck his head in and got salty.
Good on ya captain Siss thought he was pretty composed given the situation and trust me has changed his ways a lot from when he started!

We will all continue to go around in circles but Ken was the instigator and very provocative straight after the final siren. No one can deny this which is why he was fined as it could have escalated very quickly which is being overlooked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. mouth off all week leading up and all game if you want. ken could have even commented that he used it as motivation afterwards - go for your life. Ken could have raised it in his press conference. He could have made a point of it to the media during the week.

Instead he chose to pick out Ginivan and have a crack when it is all over. It was premeditated and deliberate and frankly pissweak given there is no way to respond after a game - unless someone loses their head which luckily didn't happen.

As the saying goes the only thing worse than a sore loser is an ungracious winner.
And if Sicily hadn’t made a big thing of it, who would have known?

How many such comments do you reckon come about after a footy game, and no one knows because no one decides to get all high and mighty about it?

And if you say “none”, then you live an extremely sheltered life.

Yeah, why would they want a senior coach to behave after the siren. So rich of the AFL to expect they.

Derp.
It made for great theatre, look at the positives, you’ve got a new rival.

I just hope a few of you Hawks supporters can pick yourselves up off the canvas to see it next year. Kenny flying an aeroplane around at Adelaide Oval really has you guys just about knocked out.

Derp.

It made for great theatre, look at the positives, you’ve got a new rival.

I just hope a few of you Hawks supporters can pick yourselves up off the canvas to see it next year. Kenny flying an aeroplane around at Adelaide Oval really has you guys just about knocked out.

Derp.
We’re not the ones flailing about pretending like what Ken did was A-ok because those big bad Hawks kids had it coming for celebrating goals too much.

Siciliy had just hit the post - I'm sure his emotions were on edge at the time. Which is exactly why you don't do it. It is poor form by Hinkley.
So Sicily is justified in having his emotions on edge for missing a shot, but Hinkley who's job was on the line can't be afforded the same benefit?

So composed he almost dropped his 300 game player because he was too busy yelling at Ken, who had already moved on.
Oh now I get it so it’s King Kenny who should call all the shots of when he can mouth off be provocative straight after the final siren and then when it should end so we all move on ……. sorry to say but it doesn’t work that way. While Bruest was being carried off King Kenny should have carried off Ginni for helping him save his job!

How many such comments do you reckon come about after a footy game, and no one knows because no one decides to get all high and mighty about it?

The question is, why wouldn't Sicily respond? Name a Captain who wouldn't stand up to an opposition coach who is abusing one of their players? Maybe Rozee wouldn't, but Boak certainly would have.

Hell, if someone was abusing your mate, you'd stand up for them yeh?

We’re not the ones flailing about pretending like what Ken did was A-ok because those big bad Hawks kids had it coming for celebrating goals too much.
I think consensus is Ken misunderstood Instagram, and used what was harmless fun as motivation: its dumb footy stuff, but he's old.

I'm pretty sure Jack laughed off Ken's "aggressive words". Is that fair? Or are we that dug in we can't call the incident as it appears?

The question is, why wouldn't Sicily respond? Name a Captain who wouldn't stand up to an opposition coach who is abusing one of their players? Maybe Rozee wouldn't, but Boak certainly would have.

Hell, if someone was abusing your mate, you'd stand up for them yeh?
Yes of course (and Mitchell stood up for Sicily too), but there's reacting, and there's raving while you're chairing a 300 gamer off. It was overdone.

He played a great game, he's improved as a player and as a person, but that was too much.

I think the input from Lewis and Hodge has raised a few laughs, but it got Port a fine which is a head scratcher. Yes the League is touchy after idiot McCartney bumped that Swan idiot, but as I said in the other thread, Sicily was third man in on a clash that was over. Where's his fine?

Again, if you can’t line your team up for the Bruest thing and hold off for a few minutes, don’t line your team up at all.

Never used to happen (opponents) unless the player had a connection to the opponents.

The opponents now line up to say ‘look what good sports we are’

In this case they weren’t, they went the cheap shot. ken was the opposite of ‘good sports’

I think consensus is Ken misunderstood Instagram, and used what was harmless fun as motivation: its dumb footy stuff, but he's old.

I'm pretty sure Jack laughed off Ken's "aggressive words". Is that fair? Or are we that dug in we can't call the incident as it appears?

Yes of course (and Mitchell stood up for Sicily too), but there's reacting, and there's raving while you're chairing a 300 gamer off. It was overdone.

He played a great game, he's improved as a player and as a person, but that was too much.

I think the input from Lewis and Hodge has raised a few laughs, but it got Port a fine which is a head scratcher. Yes the League is touchy after idiot McCartney bumped that Swan idiot, but as I said in the other thread, Sicily was third man in on a clash that was over. Where's his fine?

Ken back pedalling almost immediately tells you he was aware of what would happen not much to do with hodge and lewis

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Did Hawthorn just expose a mental fragility?

Back