Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts
Sep 10, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seagulls, Bushrangers
What are your thoughts on the gun key position player? Is he provided value for the team so far, or is there something more needed?

I think he is a great young player - very versatile and something any club would want, but I think he has been disappointing as there is not really any signs of more improvement. Only 6 goals in the first 6 games playing forward mostly and not really having the impact I would personally like to see.

But I guess you can think of me as a Collingwood supporter. :rolleyes: :) , but I would just like to know the opinion of you Crows Supporters.

Cheers, LF50

Very valid point Lonie.

Hentschel's 2004 season was amazing. Many of us (including me) has doubted his ability prior to 2004, but he really showed his class last year.

Naturally we all expected him to improve and become a real force this year, but he has admittedly stalled in his process. He's flunctuated in and out of games and I've been a little disappointed with his attack on the ball.

Perhaps the most concerning thing is his development in the forward line. To be honest he's done little in the forward 50 this year and as a result has been repeatedly moved into defence, which we don't need because we need his marking ability near our goals.

I reckon he'll turn it around sooner rather than later, but Lonie I have to agree with you that he has been a little disappointing this year.

SpringChoke said:
Looks timid and lost in the forward line. However, looks all class when down back. Unforuntaley for us, the last thing we need is another backman.

Put him down back to rebuild his confidence as at the moment he has completely lost it & is very close to being labeled a player with "heaps of potential but a touch on the soft side".

Wayne's-World said:
Needs to strengthen his mental approach to the game - can he? TWT

I also think he has to bulk up a bit more as he has the frame for it.
He should be a big KPP that takes strong marks, we have enough of tall fast young player with the x factor that looks good sometimes. If there is one club crying out for a typical strong marking forward it is us and we need to make him one instread of keeping him as he is.

But get him down back now that Stiffy has gone for a couple of months.

Markthirtytwo said:
I also think he has to bulk up a bit more as he has the frame for it.
He should be a big KPP that takes strong marks, we have enough of tall fast young player with the x factor that looks good sometimes. If there is one club crying out for a typical strong marking forward it is us and we need to make him one instread of keeping him as he is.

But get him down back now that Stiffy has gone for a couple of months.
Yeah I though that would also improve him as a player.

BUT he is showing no signs of knowing how, or wanting to use his body in a contest.

Adding weight and muscle to a player who doesn't use it will result in another Biglands (Meh!)

Now put some muscle on Gibson who apparently loves the physical stuff and we have ourselves a lethal weapon.

Big Big difference IMO ;)

Lonie_from_50 said:
What are your thoughts on the gun key position player? Is he provided value for the team so far, or is there something more needed?
What is needed is the same weights programme that Tarrant is on he does not seem to have filled out like i was hopping he would.Still gets to the contest but pushed of the ball to easily.

PS:Good post and observation even though you did abuse me for asking for anzac day tickets on your board which i got by the way.

i was dissapointed, mainly coz i had some dollars on him kicking the first goal, hes normal very reliable and wtf does he do ob on the full......great

I think Hentschel is suffering from the "second year blues" This is really his second year of AFL footy considering the number games he has played.

I mentioned late last year that I was a bit fearfull of this happening. Everyone saw last year that the kid is a class player and naturally he will get paid more attention this year than he did last year.

Now its up to Trent to tell is if he can accept the challenge and step up to the plate. We need him to develop as a forward and so far this year he has looked lost on most occasions when he played there. I though he was VERY VERY good against Port but apart from that game he has been average.

Stiffy_18 said:
I think Hentschel is suffering from the "second year blues" This is really his second year of AFL footy considering the number games he has played.

I mentioned late last year that I was a bit fearfull of this happening. Everyone saw last year that the kid is a class player and naturally he will get paid more attention this year than he did last year.

Now its up to Trent to tell is if he can accept the challenge and step up to the plate. We need him to develop as a forward and so far this year he has looked lost on most occasions when he played there. I though he was VERY VERY good against Port but apart from that game he has been average.
Stiffy, his work rate is not up to it - jogged when he should have sprinted, stood still when he should have been moving - is lacking the "hunger"

It's not a skill thing as he is highly skilled, it's a mental hurdle he has to overcome - and how much does he want it

He looks like he's starting to believe his own publicity - always a dangerous thing to do. And he's got to get another nickname, "Potential" is a real shocker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the Adelaide Football Club is to evolve into a premiership contender Trent Hentschel has to be played as that centre half back position and Ken McGregor has to be played some where else, possibly as a third tall defender meaning Nathan Bassett lose his spot. Ken McGregor is dower defender not an offensive attacking defender in the mould of Chad Cornes; Trent Hentschel is that player we need. One of NC philosophies is to start offence from the defensive end (sorry about the USA terminology) and Trent Hentschel will play that role perfectly

Back six should be

FB McGregor Rutten Bassett

Hb McLeod Hentschel Hart

Stiffy to be played as a small forward and occasionally moved onto the ball.

cro_Magnum said:
He looks like he's starting to believe his own publicity - always a dangerous thing to do. And he's got to get another nickname, "Potential" is a real shocker.
Can you please explain you’re rational behind this question? Do you know him; have you heard his speak like he is has a big head? He is struggling simply because he is not a natural forward and playing as the number one forward after 25 game. He is getting the opposition’s number one forward each week and he just isn’t good enough yet, he is an attacking defender with poise and class and the form he showed last season as a defender is enough to backup that label ‘potential’

crows98 said:
Can you please explain you’re rational behind this question? Do you know him; have you heard his speak like he is has a big head? He is struggling simply because he is not a natural forward and playing as the number one forward after 25 game. He is getting the opposition’s number one forward each week and he just isn’t good enough yet, he is an attacking defender with poise and class and the form he showed last season as a defender is enough to backup that label ‘potential’
How can a player kick 78 goals from CHF as an 18 year old playing against men in a premiership side not be a natural forward??????

just maybe said:
Daniel Schell...

That's funny...I was thinking yesterday that if Schell had of played the way Hentschel has, he would have copped heaps.

I agree with waynes world (surprise!) and cro magnum. He needs to put a stop to the Potential tag.

Second year blues - didn't he debut in 2003? He had almost a full season of SANFl footy in 2003 (inc finals), and a full year of AFL footy last year. He really should be hitting his straps this year.

He really has to make his mark as a forward. The back six is fine. Putting him to defence is the easy option.

Stiffy_18 said:
How can a player kick 78 goals from CHF as an 18 year old playing against men in a premiership side not be a natural forward??????

Ability of competition.

How can Daniel Shell dominate the SANFL as a key forward in the premiership side and not be classed as a natural forward, the NTFL is a level lower than the SANFL, and age is irrelevant

Jerome said:
That's funny...I was thinking yesterday that if Schell had of played the way Hentschel has, he would have copped heaps.

Schell kicked 10 goals for Centrals yesterday.

;)

crows98 said:
Ability of competition.

How can Daniel Shell dominate the SANFL as a key forward in the premiership side and not be classed as a natural forward, the NTFL is a level lower than the SANFL, and age is irrelevant
Ability of competition is not the issue here. If you are not a natural forward how can you possibly kick 78 goals including 9 in a grand final in a reasonable competition??????

So you are saying if he could kick that many in SANFL he would be a natural forward????? :confused:

Whether or not he is a natural forward is not determined by the competition he plays against its whether or not he has an instict of a forward. Does he know where to lead and when to lead and how does he time his leads????? Can he create something out of nothing and end up kicking a goal????? Those are the things that tell us if someone is a natural forward or not.

Hentschel is a natural forward but people think he isn't because he hasn't produced it on consistent basis. He has an instict of a forward.

Majority of KPP are better backmen than they are asa forwards because its much easier to play as a key defender than it is as a key forward. As a defener you are the hunter but as a forward you are being hunted. We won't solve anything playing Hentschel as a regular CHB because we need key forwards and he happens to be the one that has an instict of a forward.

We need to develop him as a forward because thats our greatest need. The last thing we need is another key defender. We got a few of those coming through the ranks. We need key forwards, Hentschel and Watts are the only ones that are capable of playing in that position.

crows98 said:

My rationale is that anyone who has got the publicity he has at that age will start to believe it, perhaps subconsciously. It doesn't mean he has a big head, it's just something he has to deal with and hopefully the coaching staff will help him do that. I don't think he is going in as hard as he can at the moment, just like Port Power who also seem to be sucked up in their own publicity of everyone telling them how good they are (were).

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed in Hentschel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back