D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, its within the rules. All a bit of laugh after the game, but may have been different if we lost because of it.
Only team officials in the bench area can have 50's paid against them. Supporters not. I'm pretty sure the umpire can request a official to speak to them. Looks to me they probably paid the wrong decision and doubled down on a 50 to exercise "control". Seen a few games this year, the standard has been horrible from the men in yellow

Indeed. There will always be anomalies. This year Ivanhoe actually haven't got it too bad. They have Kew and Preston. Royal Park and Glenroy are close-ish. They do however have to travel to Carnegie, Oakleigh, East Malvern and Mount Martha !!

If Kinglake win the flag, and Lower Plenty come down, and Ivanhoe moved leagues, next year they would have West Heidelberg, Lower, Laurimar, Mernda, Eltham, Preston (Fitzroy Stars), Kilmore, Reservoir and Lalor (it might only be once if the latter two merge). It's true that most of these clubs are not right on Ivanhoe's doorstep, in fact Division3 is probably the most spread out, but they are all north of the river and the NFNL seems to have more rivalries than the VAFA does.

I'm not anti-VAFA. Far from it. I am however realistic that the landscape of the local footy has changed, is changing, and clubs have to change with it.

Surely if Ivanhoe went to the NFNL it won’t be to scrap around in Div 3 for too long - in my opinion that will kill off the club .. like what nearly happened to Parkside.. they will need a plan to hit Div 1 so they can have the big games. And that will take plenty cash to get there. Not sure the links with the junior club are strong .. similar to Northcote who have no link at all and are now back in Div 2 with very little community support.
Be careful what you wish for I guess…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Surely if Ivanhoe went to the NFNL it won’t be to scrap around in Div 3 for too long - in my opinion that will kill off the club .. like what nearly happened to Parkside.. they will need a plan to hit Div 1 so they can have the big games. And that will take plenty cash to get there. Not sure the links with the junior club are strong .. similar to Northcote who have no link at all and are now back in Div 2 with very little community support.

I don't speak for Ivanhoe, but I think it goes without saying their expectations will be to progress up the grades. That would be the same for any club. The reality is that they would likely be there for two or three years so they'd plan for that. It's harder to move up in the NFNL because it's only the premier that gets promoted. Knowing Ivanhoe as little as I do, I'd be shocked if they haven't taken all that into account.

As for Northcote Park, didn't they get most of their money from the pub / pubs with pokies ? Once the local council pulled that revenue source from under them, it was probably a shock to the bottom line.

Womack - do you work for the VAFA? LOL.

I think ALL clubs want to find a way to play at the highest level they possibly can, but suggesting Ivanhoe would be pushing for Div 1 in NFNL inside a significant time is like suggesting we could make Premier A in the same way. Like most things you 'find your level' and compete in that as best you can in an environment that gives you an opportunity to grow. Right now, THAT is very, very difficult - for a host of reasons - IF we stay in the VAFA.

Further to that, Eltham Turtles are doing just fine and working at rebuilding their club who was in pretty big strife just before they left the VAFA. They got some very hard working people in, reset the goals for the club and have been getting stronger each year within their 'current level'. Nothing wrong with that approach I would have thought? Then you have Banyule who have absolutely knocked it out of the park so far and will get stronger in the next 5 years.

Lastly, believe it or not the Parkside situation is VERY different to ours, even though we are only a few Klms apart - great junior program and relationship, the schools that the vast majority of the junior/younger players go to, the change in the area around Alphington and leveraging off that sense of community are some of those differences. They are doing very, very well and I expect them to play off in the GF this year and be very competitive up in D1 next year. Well done to all involved.

So hold a little on the doom and gloom IF our club makes a move, I am sure everyone is looking at ALL the options and thinking about what can best support the club moving forward. I am told the committee spoke about this with the players at the club last Thursday night and the conversation continues.

Chump :trophy:

Last edited:
To my knowledge you should only pay a 50 if supporters are near coaches box.

Generally umpires cannot pay 50s for crowd behavior, unless rules have changed since 2020!
I got a bloke at De La last year.

He stood by himself. And let fly. De La coach asked me at quarter time what the GO.

Let’s say the game was quieter after that.

Last edited:

I think ALL clubs want to find a way to play at the highest level they possibly can, but suggesting Ivanhoe would be pushing for Div 1 in NFNL inside a significant time is like suggesting we could make Premier A in the same way. Like most things you 'find your level' and compete in that as best you can in an environment that gives you an opportunity to grow. Right now, THAT is very, very difficult - for a host of reasons - IF we stay in the VAFA.

Further to that, Eltham Turtles are doing just fine and working at rebuilding their club who was in pretty big strife just before they left the VAFA. They got some very hard working people in, reset the goals for the club and have been getting stronger each year within their 'current level'. Nothing wrong with that approach I would have thought? Then you have Banyule who have absolutely knocked it out of the park so far and will get stronger in the next 5 years.

Lastly, believe it or not the Parkside situation is VERY different to ours, even though we are only a few Klms apart - great junior program and relationship, the schools that the vast majority of the junior/younger players go to, the change in the area around Alphington and leveraging off that sense of community are some of those differences. They are doing very, very well and I expect them to play off in the GF this year and be very competitive up in D1 next year. Well done to all involved.

So hold a little on the doom and gloom IF our club makes a move, I am sure everyone is looking at ALL the options and thinking about what can best support the club moving forward. I am told the committee spoke about this with the players at the club last Thursday night and the conversation continues.

No doom and gloom Chump .. I just find it interesting having seen what Parkside went through and how in my opinion it would have resulted in the death of the club if they stayed in the NFL .. but just an opinion!

Looking at the clubs that have left the VAFA...

Bentleigh - Division 1 of SFNL (albeit down the bottom end). Left the VAFA top of D3
Banyule - Division 1 NFNL (first season after winning the flag last year). Left the VAFA second-last in C grade and relegated.
Eltham Collegians - Division 3 NFNL - sitting 4th in their 3rd, or maybe 4th season. Left the VAFA last in D2 and relegated.
Point Cook - Division 1 WRFL - sitting second Left the VAFA third-last in D3
Rupertswood - Division 2 EDFL - sitting third (won the flag in the Riddell League in 2019). Left the VAFA third-last in C grade.
Thomastown - Division 2 NFNL - sitting mid table. Left the VAFA mid table in D2

Based on those stats, the clubs were all around the fourth to sixth rung of the VAFA. It's historically very hard to go up the charts from there. Very, very few have done it. It's also very hard to stay there without the Old Boys connections. CYs and Fitzroy have, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and well done to them.

I'll say it again, I'm not VAFA, far from it. It's just that history doesn't always dictate what the future holds. I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all of those clubs may not be around if they'd stayed. It's not necessarily a reflection of the league and the way it's run, but that those clubs didn't see their future in an amateur comp. I commend them on deciding what was best for their club.

Parkside on the other hand did come back, and they are flying. Having seen them first hand, I reckon they'd more than compete in D1 and well done to them. Going to the VAFA was the right move for them. Swings and roundabouts.

Looking at the clubs that have left the VAFA...

Bentleigh - Division 1 of SFNL (albeit down the bottom end). Left the VAFA top of D3
Banyule - Division 1 NFNL (first season after winning the flag last year). Left the VAFA second-last in C grade and relegated.
Eltham Collegians - Division 3 NFNL - sitting 4th in their 3rd, or maybe 4th season. Left the VAFA last in D2 and relegated.
Point Cook - Division 1 WRFL - sitting second Left the VAFA third-last in D3
Rupertswood - Division 2 EDFL - sitting third (won the flag in the Riddell League in 2019). Left the VAFA third-last in C grade.
Thomastown - Division 2 NFNL - sitting mid table. Left the VAFA mid table in D2

Based on those stats, the clubs were all around the fourth to sixth rung of the VAFA. It's historically very hard to go up the charts from there. Very, very few have done it. It's also very hard to stay there without the Old Boys connections. CYs and Fitzroy have, but they are the exception rather than the rule, and well done to them.

I'll say it again, I'm not VAFA, far from it. It's just that history doesn't always dictate what the future holds. I'd hazard a guess that most, if not all of those clubs may not be around if they'd stayed. It's not necessarily a reflection of the league and the way it's run, but that those clubs didn't see their future in an amateur comp. I commend them on deciding what was best for their club.

Parkside on the other hand did come back, and they are flying. Having seen them first hand, I reckon they'd more than compete in D1 and well done to them. Going to the VAFA was the right move for them. Swings and roundabouts.

I see that - and all those clubs fit comfortably into the geography of the leagues they have gone to .. that’s all I’ll say !

Only team officials in the bench area can have 50's paid against them. Supporters not. I'm pretty sure the umpire can request a official to speak to them. Looks to me they probably paid the wrong decision and doubled down on a 50 to exercise "control". Seen a few games this year, the standard has been horrible from the men in yellow
They wear green!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Hoe Park fenced in? You’d want to be able to take a gate if you move to a paid league I reckon.
Residents won’t allow it. They won’t let us out padding on the goals if it has the school’s emblem on it. They buy house next to sporting ovals and then complain about sporting ovals being used as sporting ovals.

Is Hoe Park fenced in? You’d want to be able to take a gate if you move to a paid league I reckon.
Pretty much a thing of the past in NFNL these days as Mappa pointed out. Also no way council would allow it, rightly so as it's not that sort of facility.

The lead in salary cap in the NFNL and EFNL is pretty low (so I'm told) so it's only when you go up the grades it gets over 100k. Now I understand not all clubs stay within that, but just highlighting the actual info I was told re levels set by AFL Vic.

If I think about what some coaches and support staff are getting paid in Prem A and B ammo's the 'salary' bill may not be that different. 🤷

Chump 🏆

Last edited:
Prahran v Oakleigh
GE
v OP
Kew v Preston
Therry v Uhsvu
WB v Ivanhoe

Remove this Banner Ad

D1 Division 1 - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back