D2 Division 2 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stand corrected. 5 minutes, no minutes not much difference. Why did Eltham allow St Marys to have 2 loose men in defence? That tactic is easily countered.

The more people in your forward line the more crowded it is, and obviously harder to score, especially on a ground that size. Was just an ugly game to watch, looking forward to prahran on the wide open spaces of the turtle dome

Pretty boring on here of late. I reckon the four is set, can't see parade catching prahran in third, and the only threat to parade is therry I believe. But they have a poorer percentage. I don't think monash will win enough games to make the four. The only movement I think will come in the top 3 obviously depending on results. Should be interesting with the three sides battling for the top two spots.
Interesting battle in the relegation zone also. I think sth Melbourne will do enough to avoid the drop, although they are 6 points behind St Mary's. Latrobe definately to drop having to make up 12 points and percentage and rely on results. I think St Mary's and Emmaus will be fighting it out to stay up, and the rd17 could well decide who stays and who goes.

This weeks tips

Eltham over Prahran
St Mary's to break Latrobes heart 2 weeks in another nailbiter. 6points
Parade too strong at home over Emmaus by 48 points
Bulleen over Monash by 50 points
Sth Melbourne in an upset over Therry by 12 points

Pretty boring on here of late. I reckon the four is set, can't see parade catching prahran in third, and the only threat to parade is therry I believe. But they have a poorer percentage. I don't think monash will win enough games to make the four. The only movement I think will come in the top 3 obviously depending on results. Should be interesting with the three sides battling for the top two spots.
Interesting battle in the relegation zone also. I think sth Melbourne will do enough to avoid the drop, although they are 6 points behind St Mary's. Latrobe definately to drop having to make up 12 points and percentage and rely on results. I think St Mary's and Emmaus will be fighting it out to stay up, and the rd17 could well decide who stays and who goes.

This weeks tips

Eltham over Prahran
St Mary's to break Latrobes heart 2 weeks in another nailbiter. 6points
Parade too strong at home over Emmaus by 48 points
Bulleen over Monash by 50 points
Sth Melbourne in an upset over Therry by 12 points

Agree re boring side Arthur. Appears regular posters have been told to pull their heads in, maybe by their clubs. Didn't think johhny could restrain himself, though he hasn't had a lot to crow about in recent times (apart from Prahran win)
This week:
Eltham over 2 blues by 12 points. Not sure what's happening at Prahran but they don't seem to be firing on all cylinders
La Trobe over St Marys by 15 points provided they play 4 qtrs of football. Will really hot up the relagation race.
Parade's defence will be too miserly on the postage stamp and as it is only a kick and a half from goal to goal will win easily by 61 points.
Bulleen to defeat Monash yo-yos by 7 goals
SMD and Therry will be a close one. Therry putting finals chances on the line and therefore should do just enough to get up in a close one by a goal or less.

Agree re boring side Arthur. Appears regular posters have been told to pull their heads in, maybe by their clubs. Didn't think johhny could restrain himself, though he hasn't had a lot to crow about in recent times (apart from Prahran win)
Im still here!
Us Yo Yo's very lucky to get the points against Latrobe. Probably took them a little too easy.
BT certainly not unbeatable this weekend.
Lucky to get the points I'm told against Therry.
Weather report looks horrible for Sat. Might also even up the contest.

Progressive 38/50

Pretty easy on the tips last week with most people getting 5. Quick review this week, I'm going to see a man about a dog.

St Marys v Eltham - 86 points. I expect a shellacking this week. Ciavola to kick a bag and take the lead in the race for the Coleman.

Therry v Bulleen - 45 points. Therry are just a mediocre side that wont bother Bulleen, even if the Ants still might be a bit lethargic after last weeks battle. When will Pace be back?

La Trobe v Monash - 22 points. This is the kind of game that Monash are likely to drop. Pump a top team two weeks ago then drop to the bottom team. Still have to pick them over a hapless La Trobe. Nuguid to continue solid form.

South v Emmaus - 6 points. Home ground advantage to the improving Souths should get them over the line. Emmaus just lacking that extra punch up forward. Souths need Griggs on fire to pull them over the line.

Prahran v Parade - 5 points. Match of the round. Very important for both teams and will almost guarantee a finals berth. I'm going to tips Parades defensive style of play and miserly backline to contain the Four Blues in a low scoring thriller. Miller to add another best for the away side.

Progressive 42/55

Eltham v Prahran - 6 points. Cracking game this and match of the round. I expect a hard hitting affair that will probably not be suited to Sleight or Ciavola to be kicking a lot of goals. This game will come down to mid fielders and half backs battling it out on the big ground. I think Prahran will just have their measure in this but the game could go either way. Brown to get top honours for the home side but wont be able to get them over the line.

St Marys v La Trobe - 15 points. School holidays always hurt the students but have been putting on some brave performances of late. I'll go out on a limb and think they will notch up their first win for the season. I'm not sure of his name but that 55 for La Trobe(anyone know his name? We don't get listed in the record any more) is very handy and will dominate across the half back.

Parade v Emmaus - 45 points. Parade to dominate this game for 4 quarters. Whilst they only won by 2 points last time these teams met I expect a much different result this week. Giddings is the stand out player who Emmaus will struggle to match up and he will probably add another couple of goals to his tally.

South v Therry - 9 points. Souths are on the improve and I wouldn't be surprised if they take a couple of bigger scalps before the season is out. With the likes of Griggs, Costello and Mahony in good form I'm tipping another upset this week in front of their home crowd.

Bulleen v Monash - 24 points. I suggested a few weeks ago that Bulleen were coming back to the field and I think recent results reflect that. They certainly are not the unbeatable juggernaut they seemed to be at the start of the season. I think Monash will want to atone for last weeks result and will come out firing as their season is on the line. I expect Monash to be right in this at 3 quarter time but after then Bulleen to kick away in the last, as they have been able to in the past few weeks. Stella and Edsall to share BOG honours.

Good luck all this weekend. I hope you enjoy it as it's going to be a cold and crappy day with thunderstorms and hail.

Parade's defence will be too miserly on the postage stamp and as it is only a kick and a half from goal to goal will win easily by 61 points.
I've asked this before, but why is the Garvey regarded as a postage stamp ? It's 160 metres long, so for it to be a kick and a half, you must have one hell of a boot on you. The Garvey is the same length as Prahran and Eltham and is only behind LaTrobe and Bulleen-Temp as the biggest in D2. A kick and a half would mean the first one sails about 100 metres, so with a boot like that you should be trying out for the NFL.

I've asked this before, but why is the Garvey regarded as a postage stamp ? It's 160 metres long, so for it to be a kick and a half, you must have one hell of a boot on you. The Garvey is the same length as Prahran and Eltham and is only behind LaTrobe and Bulleen-Temp as the biggest in D2. A kick and a half would mean the first one sails about 100 metres, so with a boot like that you should be trying out for the NFL.
I agree Chips.. Its not a small ground at all.

Johnny's tips.
Eltham to beat Prahran easily. Double team Sleight and Prahran don't have enough avenues to goal.
Therry will beat Souths. Hanlon from Therry is playing great footy. They have too much to play for to loose to Souths I would think.
I reckon Latrobe can upset St Marys.
Parade to win easy.
And although the Gryphons will have a red hot crack. Its gonna be tough to get over BT.
Any suggestions on how to beat BT?

Round 11 Preview
Eltham over SMS by 77 Pts (If this were out at Research I would select the Turtles by 120 plus, so forgive my conservatism, however, on last weeks effort the Saints will not get close. Ryan ‘Fighter’ Foo to be amongst the visitors’ best.

Bulleen over Therry by 10 Pts (I called the race for the four closed last week, however, if the Lions can claim the big scalp of Bulleen this weekend, I am willing to retract that statement. No doubt this virtual Elimination final – from the perspective of Therry – will have them ‘up and about’ but class will prevail in the end. Stellar & Schmidt to once again shine).

Gryphons over Latrobe by 47 Pts (Many are calling this a danger game for Monash, but I for one cannot see how as the team they are competing against averages just 46.7 points a week! Even if they had Ross Lyon as coach that is not enough to win football matches, regardless of the conditions. Monash to win comfortably with Jimmy Ogden-Nash providing the spark up forward).

South over Emmaus by 10 Pts (This may well be the pick of the bunch as the relegation stakes hots up to boiling point for the Bloods. If they lose, D3 looms, if they win and I suspect they will, they may just survive. Paradoxically, Emmaus can place an unassailable 10 point break over South and virtually ensure their survival in this section. The most defining game of the season so far for both teams and I favour the Bloods at home with Eliot ‘Elvis’ Costello best afield).

PA over Parade by 18 Pts (One of these sides will be out of the race for the Top 2 after tomorrow and I fancy Old Paradians to find themselves in this predicament. The Two Blues will be seething after letting a match winning lead slip at Ted Ajani so I expect them to burst out of the blocks and keep the Bundoora boys at arms length for the day. Adam Sleight to be the defining factor against a resolute defence).

Round 11 Review

No time for meta-analysis this week, but 5/5 (41/55 cumulative) was pleasing. Stirruing win by the Bloods has placed immense pressure on Emmaus and SMS as the relegation battle intensifies. Therry and Monash are knocking on the door, but cannot see them winning five of seven to pinch a finals berth.

Round 12 Preview

Eltham over PA by 22 Pts (Certainly match of the round, but the Turtles boast a percentage that is the envy of all and should win on their home patch).
SMS over Latrobe by 46 Pts (The Trobers were better last week, but the truth is the Gryphs were awful. St Mary's to win and if Autio plays, by plenty).
Paradians over Emmaus by 57 Pts (Surely this can only go one way).
Therry over South by 3 Pts (Real danger game for the Lions, but they have enough class players to get them over the line).
Bulleen over Monash by 35 Pts (The Gryphs have not travelled well all year and expect no difference in this one).

Good luck to all

Quasi

Johnny's tips.
Eltham to beat Prahran easily. Double team Sleight and Prahran don't have enough avenues to goal.
Therry will beat Souths. Hanlon from Therry is playing great footy. They have too much to play for to loose to Souths I would think.
I reckon Latrobe can upset St Marys.
Parade to win easy.
And although the Gryphons will have a red hot crack. Its gonna be tough to get over BT.
Any suggestions on how to beat BT?

Kick more goals! The Bullants won't give up easily so anything less than 5-6 goals in front at 3-4 time may not be enough

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old Eltham vs Prahran - An eight-pointer with the double chance on the line. Been plenty, maybe too much, love for the Turtles this week, which may spell danger, but at home really can't go against them.
St Marys Salesian vs La Trobe University - Was last week a flash-in-the-pan for the Students? We'll see this round with the Saints needing to win to close the relegation door.
Old Paradians vs Emmaus St Leos - Anticipate another win, and top four consolidation, for the team captain-coached by Rich Hummerston's Love Child !
South Melbourne vs Therry Penola - Solid win by the Swans last week while the Lions nearly upset the premiership favourites and think they'll right the ship this week to keep those finals hopes alive.
Bulleen Templestowe vs Monash Gryphons - The Grypo must win this week if they want to keep those finals aspirations alive but really can't see them toppling the red-hot premiership favourites.

Had Rich Hummerston (Hummer) debut in the seniors against the Bullants yesterday, Needless to say he struggled to get a kick!! Stick to writing your crock in the record mate. No Bullants in the top 7? Must be mentally challenged Hummer.

I
Had Rich Hummerston (Hummer) debut in the seniors against the Bullants yesterday, Needless to say he struggled to get a kick!! Stick to writing your crock in the record mate. No Bullants in the top 7? Must be mentally challenged Hummer.
I agree with Rocket!
Florence from BT is the best player in the comp in my humble opinion.
However in Hummer's defence Florence has been out for a few weeks so may not have seen him up close.

Weekend results went as most predicted apart from margins, though a couple were spot on. Quasi seems to have a line through the form getting the BT/Monash result spot on. Obviously has a line on Monash form as well with the comment that La Trobe were better and Monash terrible. johhny also on the money predicting Turtles to easily account for Prahran. Therry certainly made a statement with their 96 point demolition of Souths.
While Monash can still theoretically make it the race is really down to 5. If the gryphs pull off one of their upsets they will have a bearing on who gets the 4th spot, but it won't be them.
Next time I drive past Garvey I'll stop in and take some measurements. Chips & Garvey and Johhny you don't sell real estate by any chance do you?

Worst Scribe in the VAFA, wonder what club he will be at next year?

Weekend results went as most predicted apart from margins, though a couple were spot on. Quasi seems to have a line through the form getting the BT/Monash result spot on. Obviously has a line on Monash form as well with the comment that La Trobe were better and Monash terrible. johhny also on the money predicting Turtles to easily account for Prahran. Therry certainly made a statement with their 96 point demolition of Souths.
While Monash can still theoretically make it the race is really down to 5. If the gryphs pull off one of their upsets they will have a bearing on who gets the 4th spot, but it won't be them.
Next time I drive past Garvey I'll stop in and take some measurements. Chips & Garvey and Johhny you don't sell real estate by any chance do you?

Think I was a bit early in saying the top four is set. If Therry can knock off parade this weekend it will make things very interesting. Should be a ripper battle to see who can claim 4th spot. Still don't think monash can make it.

When Monash knock over Eltham thats whats gonna make things interesting!
Not an impossibility johhny however highly unlikely. Would be one of those "up" performances Monash sometimes produce. Also would only add to the heartache of not making the 4 because form is way too inconsistent and as such could lose to anyone else, including SMD.

On ya Rocket, getting stuck into a bloke on debut against the top side, obviously dont rate BT if he couldnt get a kick on the weekend. Then again, being 5 goals up at 3qtr time and letting monash get back to within 6 (with half their side out) showed what a gun unit they are. You may not enjoy the Hums write up, each to their own, but getting stuck into a bloke after one game, hats off to ya.

On ya Rocket, getting stuck into a bloke on debut against the top side, obviously dont rate BT if he couldnt get a kick on the weekend. Then again, being 5 goals up at 3qtr time and letting monash get back to within 6 (with half their side out) showed what a gun unit they are. You may not enjoy the Hums write up, each to their own, but getting stuck into a bloke after one game, hats off to ya.

Agreed. Was going to post the same but worried it was just my bias talking.

You're having a go at BT when they're on top and have dropped the one game this year (unjustified) I'm bagging a bloke who writes crock on footy when he can count the amount of touches he gets on one hand (justified).

You're having a go at BT when they're on top and have dropped the one game this year (unjustified) I'm bagging a bloke who writes crock on footy when he can count the amount of touches he gets on one hand (justified).

I never knew you had to be a gun at footy to write about it.....

Some of the most highly regarded football writers never played football at the elite level.

The scribe (Hummerston) I believe voluntarily gives his time to produce an article that most would read.

Pull your head in rocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back