D3 Division 3 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the pike men will be a big threat to D3 in 2011 if Pike stays as coach . They finished full of run and just failed against the jocs in the perlimerary final

The VAFA is also considering re-introducing regional sections into their lower levels. This may also alter how the divisions will look in 2011.

We were told on departing from the league that this is being condsidered, but couldn't give a time frame.

This was being discussed a month or so ago on D2 thread & because I haven't got a life came up with a structure of how it might look (for those that care as its a little quiet on here
*Bearing in mind this is when Bentleigh was technically still in the comp. Was told it would never happen by the way

Divisions are based purely on location of teams & 2011 standings, & on the assumption no team leaves or joins the VAFA before 2012. Division 1 (Premier) stands as is regardless of location to make it fair
(Team & 2011 Div)

Division 1 (Premier)
North Old Boys/St Pats (D1), Bulleen Templestowe (D1), Old Mentonians (D1), Whitefriars (D1), Peninsula (D1), Old Geelong (D1), Banyule (D1), Old Paradians (D1), Williamstown (D1), Parkdale (D1)

North
Aquinas (D2), Yarra Valley (D2), Therry Penola (D2), La Trobe Uni (D2), Eltham (D2), Ivanhoe (D3), UHS-VU OB (D3), Mt Lilydale (D3), West Brunswick (D3), Manningham (D4), North Brunswick (D4)

South
South Melbourne (D2), St Leos (D2), Glen Eira (D2), Bentleigh(D2), St Johns (D2), Old Westbourne (D2), Prahran (D3), St Marys Salesian (D3), Elsternwick (D3), Albert Park (D3), Powerhouse (D3)

South (1)
Hawthorn (D3), Monash Gryphons (D3), St Francis Xavier (D4), Box Hill North (D4), South Mornington (D4), Swinburne (D4), Eley Park (D4), Richmond (D4), Chadstone (D4), Point Cook (D4) , Kew (D4)

*Most won't agree but the Premier Div has 10 teams the other comps have 11 teams, having a bye
*Grand Final winner of Premier only gets promoted to C Section
*Only last placed C Section demoted to Division 1 (Premier)
*Grand Final winner of both North & South only get promoted to Premier every year
*Bottom 2 of Premier - demoted: North get 1 team & South get the other
*Grand Final winner of South (1) gets promoted to South
*only last placed in South gets demoted to South (1)
*No-one ever gets demoted from North

Before I sat down & mapped this out I gave the concept no chance of working at all, but I think this may actually be viable. What do you guys think?I might sell the idea to the VAFA

terrible idea leave it as it is now working well at the moment.

i mean no offence but therry penola taking on north brunswick what a joke. d2 & d3 in recent years has been as even comp as you wont, its hardly the same sides going up and down all the time. the only reason it happend to kew this yr is because they finished 3rd the yr b4 in d4. dont change whats not broken

terrible idea leave it as it is now working well at the moment.

i mean no offence but therry penola taking on north brunswick what a joke. d2 & d3 in recent years has been as even comp as you wont, its hardly the same sides going up and down all the time. the only reason it happend to kew this yr is because they finished 3rd the yr b4 in d4. dont change whats not broken

Yeah I can't see it happening myself as there would be mass upheaval as to who would be playing who. No offense to North Brunswick but it wouldn't matter where or who they played, as they haven't gotten out of D4 for 10+ years.

I just brought my concept up as there is some discussion about the VAFA localizing the bottom 4 tiers on the comp. My idea was to make it as local & as even as possible. There is always going to be exceptions like Nth Brunswick but it might send these sorts of teams out on recruiting drives to be competitive.

But I think the head honchos at the VAFA are just floating the idea to humor clubs into thinking they actually give a shit about clubs below C Grade.

Yeah I can't see it happening myself as there would be mass upheaval as to who would be playing who. No offense to North Brunswick but it wouldn't matter where or who they played, as they haven't gotten out of D4 for 10+ years.

I just brought my concept up as there is some discussion about the VAFA localizing the bottom 4 tiers on the comp. My idea was to make it as local & as even as possible. There is always going to be exceptions like Nth Brunswick but it might send these sorts of teams out on recruiting drives to be competitive.

But I think the head honchos at the VAFA are just floating the idea to humor clubs into thinking they actually give a shit about clubs below C Grade.

I think you will find they are considering a D1 nth & D1 Sth with a D2 Nth & D2 Sth with only the premiers from the two D1 comps being promoted and the bottom 2 of C grade being relegated to the appropriate zone with the same applying to the D2 Grades

I think you will find they are considering a D1 nth & D1 Sth with a D2 Nth & D2 Sth with only the premiers from the two D1 comps being promoted and the bottom 2 of C grade being relegated to the appropriate zone with the same applying to the D2 Grades

Which is what was getting at in my concept, seems logical. Its just the team that are neither North or South, like a Old Westbourne who they'll having trouble finding a home for.

WHat ever concept the VAFA implement, there's always going to be a grey are that teams aren't happy about

Also, having Old Westbourne in the same system as South Mornington, hardly regionalises the comp.

If you we going to regionalise, i think it'd have to be into 3 areas, West/North, East & South with teams from D2-D4 mixing in each, premiers up and 3 down from D1 into the lower grades and the sections redistributed every year for best fit on area.

I'd much prefer travel for an even comp, which is what we have now.
Don't change a broken system, just because one team has left, I've heard the offer Bentleigh received from the SFL was too good to refuse financially, and in fairness to the VAFA, they were from the SFL originally, so it was always a chance

This will show how serious the VAFA is about the grades below C grade
I think they should just leave the bye in the grade where bentliegh left as it would deminish the achivements of all the team who won promotion this year.

I think they should just leave the bye in the grade where bentliegh left as it would deminish the achivements of all the team who won promotion this year.

How so? Would have no absolutely have affect on any teams who won promotion. All that would happen would be that SMS stay in D2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same number of teams go up just (as Bails said) one team goes down from D2 to D3 (Prahran) and only one goes down from D3 to D4 (StFX), Kew would be saved.

How will it show how serious the VAFA is about grades below C either way?

By the way if anyones interested in helping me test some new tipping software (in preperation for VAFA tipping next year), I'm running a test comp on the NBL at www.vafatipping.com. It should help to make sure it wont crash during the vafa season again

I don't think the VAFA give two shits about anyone below C Grade. Let's be honest, the clubs are merely there to boost revenue for the VAFA for their junkets to QLD, NSW & NZ. For the show piece they really care about - A & B Section.

They're floating this idea around of regionalising the lower divisions, to put the D1-D4 club's minds as ease so they don't feel forgotten. IMO it won't happen this side of 2012, if at all. Judging by the reactions of most on here, people would rather have a even comp & travel up to 1 hour than have a localised comp.

I'm really not sure why to be honest

They're floating this idea around of regionalising the lower divisions, to put the D1-D4 club's minds as ease so they don't feel forgotten. IMO it won't happen this side of 2012, if at all. Judging by the reactions of most on here, people would rather have a even comp & travel up to 1 hour than have a localised comp.

I'm really not sure why to be honest

You'd prefer regionalised?

The VAFA was regionalised in the lower grades circa 96 and they changed it to this model. Why change back? It's all restructure for the sake of restructure and so they're seen to be doing something in my opinion.

This is what a Division 3 would look like regionalised.

Div 3 North / West
Mt. Lilydale
Point Cook
North Brunswick
West Brunswick
UHS-VU
Ivanhoe
Yarra Valley
Manningham
Box Hill North
Eley Park
Kew

Longest Trip Mt.L - PC 71.5km

Div 3 South - (6xD3 - 5xD4)
South Mornington
St Francis Xavier
Chadstone
Elsternwick
Monash Gryphons
Albert Park
Power House
Hawthorn
Swinburne
Richmond
Prahran

Longest Trip Hawthorn - Sth Mornington 79km

One of Kew or Eley Park could go south, providing 2 even numbered comps. I'd say Kew based on closeness to Hawthorn, Swinburne & Richmond if we're going on a regionalised comp. Here's a map of all club locations listed:

The problem is still going to be games like Prahran v Chadstone

You'd prefer regionalised?

The VAFA was regionalised in the lower grades circa 96 and they changed it to this model. Why change back? It's all restructure for the sake of restructure and so they're seen to be doing something in my opinion.

Exactly. It's a case of "see we do care about D1-D4...now you peasants run along now... & oh that's a fine for speaking to us without being summoned & you're affliation fees have just been increased...have a nice day!" :)

We at Bentleigh were a little tired of travelling, so we would've been one of the few in favour of localising the comps. Half the reason why we went to the SFL

unfortunatly travel is one of those bug bears we have to cross for being part of the VAFA and not paying players like most other local comps.
but saying that it would be nice not to have to pack a sleeping bag for some trips

unfortunatly travel is one of those bug bears we have to cross for being part of the VAFA and not paying players like most other local comps.
but saying that it would be nice not to have to pack a sleeping bag for some trips

Just a thought or 2 on this matter.

1. For the regionalised local comps, wouldnt the promotion and relegation system over time mean that travel sometimes becomes an issue? and

2. Would it be possible for the VAFA, in cases of significant travel, to be able to organise games at a neutral venue with teams alternating hosting rights.

Not a bad idea but i dont think clubs would give up the home ground advantage just so they did not have to travel THe VAFA would have to try and find a ground not being used and if we get another wet winter the councils will come into play one this score

Not a bad idea but i dont think clubs would give up the home ground advantage just so they did not have to travel THe VAFA would have to try and find a ground not being used and if we get another wet winter the councils will come into play one this score

or if we have a dry one and the drought returns

I don't get why people consider driving for an hour 'travelling'.

I Agree, I drive an hour or more ( depending on traffic ) to work every day. Blokes need to suck it up, I find the hour drive on a Saturday part of my ritual before games.. It doesnt help me be any good but I enjoy the drives. ( except the 2+ hour drives from Melton to Mornington.. )

And by the way, some of you blokes on here have too much time on your hands.

I hope SMS comes down to D3, that will be a big factor in my decision to play on next year. Is Leon Davis still playing for you?

I hope SMS comes down to D3, that will be a big factor in my decision to play on next year. Is Leon Davis still playing for you?[/quote]

Interesting comment..! Why would that have any bearing on your decision..

I Agree, I drive an hour or more ( depending on traffic ) to work every day. Blokes need to suck it up, I find the hour drive on a Saturday part of my ritual before games.. It doesnt help me be any good but I enjoy the drives. ( except the 2+ hour drives from Melton to Mornington.. )

And by the way, some of you blokes on here have too much time on your hands.

I hope SMS comes down to D3, that will be a big factor in my decision to play on next year. Is Leon Davis still playing for you?

Interesting Comment - Your probably best to just hang them up cob :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back