D3 Division 3 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where has the pre-season optimism from Vegemite and sidewinder gone?
Optimism??? PRE-SEASON OPTIMISM? Where have you been Krusty? D4? No optimism on the 'winder's front. Not this year.I barely have time to put in my usual role as "finger-in-the-Dyke person" at my club let alone to pump up the fortunes of said club on this site!
The season is 6 rounds down and it is clearly time for prognostications from the outer.
M'kay?? Prahran, All over it. Like Williamstown before them. Too strong. Will win it in a canter. Good luck to them. They will soon enough loose their previous personas and become a Kilmore campus identity. ( Methinks) The rest can please themselves. Yarra Valley probably runners up. If they can win away from home. Monash and Ivanhoe may well make finals. Don't hold much hope for the rest. All in all, a pretty even comp beyond that. Some are gone, some rebuilding. You know that scenario. :rolleyes:

Round 6 Preview

Hoes over Wicks by 8 Pts (Windy conditions are favoured this weekend and I am tempted to select all the homes, but Elsternwick are playing their most un-spirited football for years and seemingly have no way of turning round in the short term. Ivanhoe aren’t that good either, but should do just enough with the likes on Paul Harris prominent).
Prahran over Kew by 79 Pts (The margin is the only point of debate as the Bears will find themselves well outclassed. The Four Blues continue to unearth talented footballers, with Ben Furness the latest to shine in their march towards September. Will be over by half time).
Bushrangers over UHS-VU by 26 Pts (I expect Wattsy read the riot act to his chargers during the week, so expect the combine to exhibit their ‘A Game’ early on. Problem is, Domeney Reserve is not an easy place to win and Yarra Valley are a quality outfit with players of the calibre of Dean Letson and Ryan Pollard at their disposal. The Bushrangers to pull away after half time in the first of what may be a few passionate encounters between these two sides in 2011).
Rams over House by 6 Pts (The Mountain men are fast gaining confidence and Powerhouse are fast losing theirs, so I can only go one way. The Rams new found vigour seems to have followed the fortunes of Jamie Paull whose return to form has mirrored his teams. The House will fight hard but are not doing enough for my liking at present. Mt Lilydale just).
Hawks over Falcons by 15 Pts (The battle of the predatory birds should see the Brown and Golds come out on top. Even though I suspect Albert Park to come out firing, one of the teams from 5th to 12th has to fill the final position in the five come the business end of the season, and I have the sneaking suspicion it may be the men from Rathmines Rd. Long way to go mind you and they simply must win this. Toby Cohen to continue his fine season).
Gryphs over Pies by 24 Pts (Lee Wells must be one of the finest lower grade backmen in the history of the VAFA and he has been a Rock of Gibraltar in the Monash defence for fifteen years, however, another key defender in Tim Madden has really come on in leaps and bounds making the Gryphs defence equal to anything in the competition. West Brunswick will find no favours at East Caulfield in their stalled season and the swirly conditions should see the home side win comfortably, especially if they can convert effectively. Chuck Munro to be best afield).

Round 6 Review

6/6 (25/35 Cumulative) was a welcome return to form. Got within a goal of the margin in four of the six games as well. Hopefully I can continue the form…

Statistically speaking, a third of the way through a season is the first time we can truly analyse the ladder. In fact, it is rare for more than one change in the final 4 (5) come August. That being said, of Yarra Valley, Prahran, Monash, UHS-VU and Ivanhoe, it is likely that only one will not be there come the business end of the season. Who will that be? And who will replace them, no one can foresee, however, percentages would dictate that the top two are well ahead of the rest and then 3rd to 12th could beat each other on any given day. Mind you, the task for The Wicks and Falcons is looking more forlorn each week.

There were few surprises last round, with the match of the day (at least margin wise) being played out at East Caulfield Reserve. Full credit to West Brunswick for taking it right up to an undermanned Monash side. My mail is the Pies were most unlucky to lose, but the Gryphs now have an intrinsic winning culture that often means you find a way to win when you do not play well. Mt Lilydale and Hawthorn continue to improve, after belated starts, and look the most likely challengers to the Hoes 5th spot. Speaking of the men from Ivanhoe Park, they completely blew the Wicks off the park in the first 30 minutes of the game with their most spirited and ruthless football of the season so far. Word is they’d have been competitive with anyone in the comp on that form, but it is all about sustaining that effort over 4 quarters. Similarly, the Bushrangers completely obliterated Uni High in the first half of their contest (Nicholas Pask in devastating form) then went into ‘treadmill’ mode for the rest of the game. Impressive, but I’m sure they will be reinforcing the need to continue to play with the same intensity and desire for the entire contest. Prahran thumped Kew, but the margin could’ve been twenty goals had the four blues continued to put the ‘pedal to the metal’.

Round 7 Preview

Yarra Valley over the Wicks by 45 Pts (I’m sure Steve Hall will not allow his chargers to start so poorly again this week, so expect a rugged defensive plan from the home side. However, the Bushrangers are too good and their superior skill will see them break the shackles after half time to record a reasonably comfortable win. Lester Piggott to be amongst the best for the victors),
UHS-VU over Albert Park by 35 Pts (Seems pretty clear cut this one as well. Whilst the Falcons have many scoring avenues, their defence is flaky at best and will allow the combine too many forward 45 entries. I expect Uni High to bounce out of the blocks and put their opponents away early. Rhys Kirk to kick a bag).
Hawks over the Hoes by 3 Pts (Even though logic says to pick the home side when in doubt, Hawthorn could’ve won far more easily if they had kicked straight last week and hence I am pretty keen on them and believe that the home ground advantage will only serve to keep this one close all day. Certainly match of the day and one that will be very telling come round 18. Any of the young Hawks may be the defining factor, so I will select Veneet Bist for best on ground, mainly because I love the name).
Four Blues over West by 46 Pts (West Brunswick showed some good signs against Monash, but will have to double their efforts if they are to even stay in touch with Prahran. The visitors have no explicit weakness and will show why they are odds on for the flag. Luke Giansiracusa to be handy around the big sticks).
Monash over Mt Lilydale by 16 Pts (If this were at Lilydale, I would almost certainly select the Rams, however, the Gryphs have not lost at home in a long time do will do just enough to win. Should be a fiery and passionate contest as the Mountain Men look to atone for their grand final defeat at Vermont in September. Justin Roberts and Jamie Paull will give their all as usual, but will not be able to penetrate Monash’s miserly defence regularly enough. Kye Cherian to be amongst the Gryphs best).
Kew over the House by 8 Pts (Very tough one to select, but Powerhouse have been largely disappointing in recent weeks and Kew may do just enough to keep them off the winners list for the entire month. Mick Cochrane to get plenty of touches for the Bears).

Good Luck to all

Quasi

Progressive 23 from 30

Yarra Valley v UHS-VU - 15 points.
Monash Gryphons v West Brunswick - 22 points.
Elsternwick v Ivanhoe - 32 points.
Mt Lilydale v Powerhouse - 15 points.
Hawthorn v Albert Park - 2 points.
Prahran v Kew - 80 points.

Progressive 29 from 35

I think last round was pretty predictable with a few tipsters here tipping all six. This week however will throw a spanner in the works with the recent wet weather and a couple of teams starting to find form to take on the top 5. Primarily Hawthorn and Mt Lilydale.

Monash Gryphons v Mt Lilydale - 7 points. The first difficult game to tip of the 3 this week. Lilydale are the big improver with a couple of good wins and taking it right to the end with finals contenders UHS. Very much a danger game for the Gryphons and if was played at Mt Lilydale my tip would be the other way. I expect a tight contest with the usual stalwarts from both sides fighting it out - MG(Wells, Baxter and Fletcher) v ML (Wall, Roberts and Stuart)

Elsternwick v Yarra Valley - 78 points. Yarra Valley way to strong for a hapless Wickers. Not sure what is going on at EP Oval 2 but at this stage they are looking at relegation if they can't turn this around.

Ivanhoe v Hawthorn - 13 points. Match of the round. 2 difficult to tip. Hawthorn had to play the current top 3 teams in the first 3 weeks and have won every game since. Ivanhoe have only played 1 of the top 3 and also had closer games and loss with mid/lower placed teams. For this I have to go with Hawthorn. With 5th spot on the line I think they have more determination and Murray has made sure they are a well drilled team. They zone and flood both ends of the ground very well and Murray makes more changes than I have been doing of nappy's lately. Cohen to kick 3 in a low scoring affair.

UHS-VU v Albert Park - 22 points. Playing away from home for the first half of the year seems to be really hurting Albert Park. Whilst I expect them to improve in the second half. Team morale and not being able to have post game beers at their own club would be stinging a bit. So think UHS will win comfortably here.

West Brunswick v Prahran Assumption - 45 points. Prahran way too strong for the Pies. Not much more to say. Prahran are making an otherwise interesting division a little more boring.

Kew v Power House - 8 points. Third difficult game to tip. Coach Pike would be very unhappy with his chargers efforts in the past couple of weeks. Basically if you can stop Edwards you can stop the House. They have no real other avenues to goals. Whilst Kew don't have the best defence they have a few more options up forward with Brazzale, Altis and Bagnall. So I think Kew will get over the line here but not too confident.

My selections for this week:

Monash Gyphons vs. Mt Lilydale
Elsternwick vs. Yarra Valley
Ivanhoe vs. Hawthorn
YHS-VU vs. Albert Park
West Brunswick vs. Prahran
Kew vs. Power House

Here are my tips. Progrssive a poor 22 out of 36.

Monash 11 points
Yarra 70 points
Hawthorn 12 points
UHS 28 points
Prahran 62 points
Power House 13 points

Have a great weekend.

My tips for this round are:

The Gryphs over Lilydale by 20 points. The Gryphs still have the options up forward and although I haven't seen lilydale I suspect the travel will worry them.

Elsternwick v YV-Yarra the other side I haven't seen but know many of their players and they will have enough to beat the Wicks by 11 goals.

Ivanhoe v Hawthorn-Hawthorn big and strong but troubled by quick ball movement. Ivanhoe to have the match ups for Tremowen and Ogge and to sneak home by 10 points.

Uni High v Albert Park-Interesting to see ex Swinburne Murchie up forward for albert Park which with Murnane and Muscat gives them a dangerous attack. Uni High been punching above their weight IMO. AP by 10 points.

West Brunswick v Prahran-West Brunswick have run but come up against the most predictable but disciplined team in the comp. Expect Prahran to handball to the face, clear out the corridor for sleight and Christoforo and kick continually to their leads in at CHF and FF and have pests like Muster and Mayo front and square. Prahran by 50points.

Kewv Powerhouse. Kew too much run for Powerhouse Kew by 20 points.

Uni High v Albert Park-Interesting to see ex Swinburne Murchie up forward for albert Park which with Murnane and Muscat gives them a dangerous attack. Uni High been punching above their weight IMO. AP by 10 points.

I saw the name but didn't think was him. Is that really the same bloke? Surely it can't be. He was a hard man to stop in his day and was a very good footballer. I've seen him kick a goal with 3 men hanging off him after he bulldozed them. Also snap a goal on the boundary from 50 out in a final. This was all 13-14 or so years ago.

7 goals last week is a good effort and could improve AP stocks a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want to know what has happened to Dee Three. He has gone very quite since the hawks have won three in a row!

Toad, I have been a bit quiet as I have been out drinking with former coach Peter Tyson!!! He has been teaching me the tricks on how to move the magnets! Enough said.

Laguna, best you stop saying things like that about me. We are from the same club you fool. I have only missed one Hawks game this season. I think you have only seen us 4 times. Didn't see you at the Assumption game. Too cheap to buy petrol???

But seriously, the Hawks Soccer Club playing in the Clubbies is a better bet than the Seniors. The Seniors have been smashed easily by some really good sides this season and our wins have been ugly. That's the truth!

I love freedom of speech...

...oh yes...the Hawthorn Football Club would just like to apologise for the poor form of our Reserves umpire (if you can call him that) so far this season...

Toad, I have been a bit quiet as I have been out drinking with former coach Peter Tyson!!! He has been teaching me the tricks on how to move the magnets! Enough said.

Laguna, best you stop saying things like that about me. We are from the same club you fool. I have only missed one Hawks game this season. I think you have only seen us 4 times. Didn't see you at the Assumption game. Too cheap to buy petrol???

But seriously, the Hawks Soccer Club playing in the Clubbies is a better bet than the Seniors. The Seniors have been smashed easily by some really good sides this season and our wins have been ugly. That's the truth!

I love freedom of speech...

From what I saw today, I'd to say it but you are right on the money.

...oh yes...the Hawthorn Football Club would just like to apologise for the poor form of our Reserves umpire (if you can call him that) so far this season...

I thought the umpiring in the twos was good today to be honest. Thanks to the volunteers who gave up their time so we could have a kick.

Hoes seniors played some better football this week and had a good win in the end. Still several weeks away from a few more players back (from injury), but the team is improving.

Chump :)

I thought the umpiring in the twos was good today to be honest. Thanks to the volunteers who gave up their time so we could have a kick.

Hoes seniors played some better football this week and had a good win in the end. Still several weeks away from a few more players back (from injury), but the team is improving.

Chump :)
I agree chump.The two's was a great contest that could have gone either way.Well done to ivanhoe,they were the side that probably deserved to win in the end.

Ivanhoe's 1s were very impressive today.I've only seen 2 sides better than them this year and thats YV and Assumption.
Once again the hawks were exposed on a big ground.

I agree chump.The two's was a great contest that could have gone either way.Well done to ivanhoe,they were the side that probably deserved to win in the end.

Ivanhoe's 1s were very impressive today.I've only seen 2 sides better than them this year and thats YV and Assumption.
Once again the hawks were exposed on a big ground.

laguna - yes would agree that the two'sgame was a flip of the coin in the end. Hawks all over us early and should have been a touch further infront to be honest. The Hoes looked to control much of the second half and just squeaked past in the end.

As for the ones - Yes that was some of the better football we have played this year. The past two weeks we have a better appetite for the contest and have been alot more aggressive.

We have an 'interesting' remaining run home - playing the two top teams twice in the last 10 matches. Some would say unlucky, but hey, that's how it goes when you have a 12 team comp and you never know who is going to be stronger or weaker teams. If we are good enough we will make the top five and play finals - if not - then that's how it goes.

Chump.

Powerhouse and monash Ressies umpires are clearly the worst. I thought Hawthorn's was one of the better ones along with Prahran's.

took a stroll down to park street yesterday to watch prahran v west brunswick. prahran are going to be very hard to beat, the side they had on the park yesterday was unbelievable for D3 and i believe they still have a few to come back in.
also had a quick glimpse across the road at UHSVU v albert park. good win for albert park but this game looked like a reserve grade game in comparison to the other game.
i heard that the coach of albert park was reported for abuse? if true what a w***er!

Powerhouse and monash Ressies umpires are clearly the worst. I thought Hawthorn's was one of the better ones along with Prahran's.

Fosters - named after your favourite beer? May well be an indication of your poor judgement.

I can only go on 10 years of watching the same umpires from the same clubs but i will reserve my judgement as it clearly benefits no-one to continually criticise the volunteers that enable us to play each week.

Hoes best effort for the year on saturday and that is closer to teh standard they need to bring each week. Hoes face a stern test in West Brunswick this week who run the ball very well.

Still bunched up in the middle with not much of a gap between fourth and last. Prahran and Yarra the standouts but picking relegation is a lot tougher. Mt Lilydale and kew and Albert Park and Elsternwick loom as big games for the sides involved this week while I reckon Hawthorn v Uni High will be a cracker!!!

Hoes best effort for the year on saturday and that is closer to teh standard they need to bring each week. Hoes face a stern test in West Brunswick this week who run the ball very well.

Still bunched up in the middle with not much of a gap between fourth and last. Prahran and Yarra the standouts but picking relegation is a lot tougher. Mt Lilydale and kew and Albert Park and Elsternwick loom as big games for the sides involved this week while I reckon Hawthorn v Uni High will be a cracker!!!
Wamba how do you rate the Gryphons. 6-1 yet dont seem to be taken seriously as a threat to the top 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back