D3 Division 3 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What club is this for? Sounds fairly mediocre. Sliding everywhere in summer sounds like a bit of a stretch though! How long until you're back on your ground with boots?
Seems like a few clubs face issues like this. Could be council issues or could also be money issues.
Perhaps if the VAFA allowed clubs to sell alcohol at games like every other football league people would actually turn up and support the league?
From my experience no more than say 30-40 people would watch any game, excluding finals, in our lowly divisions.

"Sounds mediocre" it's D3 footy mate what do you expect full time grounds keepers? Why not be like every other leauge and pay players and totally ruin football everywhere. Selling alcohol doesn't slove the problem of low crowds and adds setup costs / jobs to every club which they already struglle with, your clearly not on a club committe.

"Sounds mediocre" it's D3 footy mate what do you expect full time grounds keepers? Why not be like every other leauge and pay players and totally ruin football everywhere. Selling alcohol doesn't slove the problem of low crowds and adds setup costs / jobs to every club which they already struglle with, your clearly not on a club committe.

You're joking aren't you?
Set up costs? Like getting the bloke that does it after the seniors to do it for a few extra hours on a saturday?
No I don't expect full time groundskeepers, why would being able to train on a ground as opposed to what sounds like a patch of grass imply I meant clubs/councils need full time ground maintenance?

We played a practice match a few weeks ago against a club in another league.
Yes they pay their players so the footy was a higher standard but they had supporters there, at a practice match (!).
Was also fantastic to enjoy a few cold beers after I played in the reserves while watching the seniors.

There are clearly flaws in the VAFA's model which I'm simply bringing to light. Calm down, pal.

Set up costs? Like getting the bloke that does it after the seniors to do it for a few extra hours on a saturday?
No I don't expect full time groundskeepers, why would being able to train on a ground as opposed to what sounds like a patch of grass imply I meant clubs/councils need full time ground maintenance?

Yes they pay their players so the footy was a higher standard but they had supporters there, at a practice match (!).
Was also fantastic to enjoy a few cold beers after I played in the reserves while watching the seniors.

There are clearly flaws in the VAFA's model which I'm simply bringing to light. Calm down, pal.

In our experience, the issue of ground availability isn't about cost, but rather it is a council issue.

Our ground is rented out to the clubs by Banyule council and each club has access to the rooms and ground for 6 months of the year.

The football club must ask permission of the cricket club to use facilities when they have use of the ground for 6 the summer months and vica versa.

Selling beers or any other suggestion, however meritorious they are per se, would have no impact on ground availability.

If you think that the biggest problerm in the VAFA is not selling beer at games then you need to drag your head out of D3 and look around! PAL!

Please Cosmo...the last thing this forum needs is a tea totalling silver spoon like you from the bayside suburbs telling the real people of football what its all about....enjoy your chai latte this morning......

Beer served in the ammos...NEVER.....we are footballers who enjoy a beer afterwards....not drinkers who enjoy football.......

Please Cosmo...the last thing this forum needs is a tea totalling silver spoon like you from the bayside suburbs telling the real people of football what its all about....enjoy your chai latte this morning......

Beer served in the ammos...NEVER.....we are footballers who enjoy a beer afterwards....not drinkers who enjoy football.......

That sentiment is all well and good for the players but why should (the lack of) supporters miss out on going to the footy on a Saturday and having a beer during the game?

That sentiment is all well and good for the players but why should (the lack of) supporters miss out on going to the footy on a Saturday and having a beer during the game?

The Ammo's, for all their faults, do a fantastic job in fostering a family environment. I take my boys down to watch the Hawks (and Mazenod) occasionally and I appreciate the fact that I don't have to be worried about drunks swearing, abusing the umpires, the players or each other.

I don't doubt more people would come to the games if you sold grog, but it would ruin the family ethos the ammo's have spent 100 years cultivating.

Your club committee would support this view I'd imagine, otherwise what would they being doing playing the competition?

Rabs2000, Tea totalling hardly (as you know), live a stones throw from KB (as you know) and long mac with 1 for me next time we are grabbing a coffee the chai lattes were just bit too sweat ever for a toff like me!!

At least we agree on the main point beers during the game has no place in the Ammos!! Just for the sack of writing it down I think the biggest issues in the Ammos effects both our clubs, the difficulty to move between grades, lack of junior clubs feeding into senior clubs (practically in the lower grades) and the financial backing of many clubs compared to a select few!

I think you'll find that the grog doesn't entice the supporters, the major draw card in my view is the fact that most of the clubs outside of the ammo's have a whole junior set up. This is what sets up the family enviroment as the family's have grown up representing the club.

I think you'll find that if a bloke has a choice of a vafa game or any other league both with in walking distance they will choose the other game because at least he will get a choice on whether he can have a beer or not.
As for 'you wouldn't get anymore fans if you sold beers' that is just a blatant incorrect statement. I say to my old man at least twice a year why don't you come down & watch our 1's play his answer 'can I have a beer yet?' 'nah' 'well I'll stick to going down the road'

I think you'll find that if a bloke has a choice of a vafa game or any other league both with in walking distance they will choose the other game because at least he will get a choice on whether he can have a beer or not.
As for 'you wouldn't get anymore fans if you sold beers' that is just a blatant incorrect statement. I say to my old man at least twice a year why don't you come down & watch our 1's play his answer 'can I have a beer yet?' 'nah' 'well I'll stick to going down the road'

Ummmm.... says more about you and your dad! rather than crowds numbers in the ammos?

"I think you'll find that if a bloke has a choice of a vafa game or any other league both with in walking distance they will choose the other game because at least he will get a choice on whether he can have a beer or not."

Blatantly incorrect statement the VAFA is proof that this is incoorect!! If it were correect the VAFA wouldn't exit??

Great topic to debate. There are pros and cons for both sides of the argument.
If clubs sell alcohol during games it may attract another 10-20 spectators and earn clubs a little bit of extra cash that can be injected back in to providing better equipment, new footys more often etc.
On the other hand, all it takes is one idiot to abuse umpires or other spectators and it can ruin a Saturday. It is also a pain in the arse for presidents like me who have to go and tell these louts to leave the ground.
I love Ammos footy. The fact that we don't sell alcohol during the games and we (in lower grades at least!) don't pay players is what makes this competition great.
The only thing that annoys me is when we pick up young private school players and they play for us for a year or two before they go back to the old boys clubs. Just like my muppet little brother has just done. Hope dad starts charging him rent.

Ummmm.... says more about you and your dad! rather than crowds numbers in the ammos?

Really mature having a swipe at someone's Dad in an otherwise legitimate debate. Probably best if you sit the rest of this one out champ.

Anyway, looks like the argument is split roughly 50/50 with alcohol and I'm glad I'm not the only one that can see the benefits.

Maybe it could be something the VAFA could trial one season. I must say, finals time is terrific being able to stand in the sun and have a beer inside the club rooms or on a balcony if available!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great topic to debate. There are pros and cons for both sides of the argument.
If clubs sell alcohol during games it may attract another 10-20 spectators and earn clubs a little bit of extra cash that can be injected back in to providing better equipment, new footys more often etc.
On the other hand, all it takes is one idiot to abuse umpires or other spectators and it can ruin a Saturday. It is also a pain in the arse for presidents like me who have to go and tell these louts to leave the ground.
I love Ammos footy. The fact that we don't sell alcohol during the games and we (in lower grades at least!) don't pay players is what makes this competition great.
The only thing that annoys me is when we pick up young private school players and they play for us for a year or two before they go back to the old boys clubs. Just like my muppet little brother has just done. Hope dad starts charging him rent.

Maybe if clubs could sell beer at games they'd be able to subsidise costs with the VAFA for better field umpires and goal umpires that aren't affiliated with playing clubs? Because let's be honest, the standard of umpiring in D3 is sub par and goal umpires that play for the club is always going to create controversy when it comes to making a big call.

It would certainly reduce the probability of spectators hurling abuse at umpires.

as has been said, it is true that the vafa has formed a culture that is different from the other suburban leagues, the type of player that plays in the comp is one that obviously values playing in a league thats not completely full of muppets over a bit of extra pub money. somehow i don't think this type of person or their mates would be the bloke abusing the umpires and opposition and ruining the vafa's rep.

10-20 extra supporters doesn't sound like much but i reckon the rest of my fellow div 6 stragglers wouldn't mind it :D

The vafa will never revert to the old ways, it creates a point of difference for the brand, and holds them in high esteem with councils, afl Vic, etc.

In saying that, id love to open the bar a bit earlier, even three quarter time?

The vafa will never revert to the old ways, it creates a point of difference for the brand, and holds them in high esteem with councils, afl Vic, etc.

In saying that, id love to open the bar a bit earlier, even three quarter time?

Open the bar early waz would only contribute to your blurred, confuse & bias opinion for why you lost yet again. That's the great thing about ammos, no pisssss heads until 7pm not 3pm like in other local 'pro' comps.

I played in the ammos last year in c grade have gone to the wrfl this year ... Didn't enjoy it last year... Due to Lack of atmosphere mainly every club we played including the club i played for had Stuff all supporters... I think the reason why the other suburban comps pull better crowds is more due to the suburb vs suburb tribalism coupled with the ability to have a beer

"I think you'll find that if a bloke has a choice of a vafa game or any other league both with in walking distance they will choose the other game because at least he will get a choice on whether he can have a beer or not."

Blatantly incorrect statement the VAFA is proof that this is incoorect!! If it were correect the VAFA wouldn't exit??

so your saying there is something wrong with my old man cause he doesnt want to come see my club play? he worked his arse off for years as a single father so i had everything i needed growing up, sat has always been his day where he walked down to the footy had a couple of beers relaxed with the other parents of the juniors & enjoyed life.

i dont expect him to come down to watch me every week as i am no good, now because he chooses to go watch a much higher standard of footy to get away from it all & have a couple of beers, does that make him a drunk? doesnt that make him a bad person? what are you trying to say? i bet you would never insinuate these things to my face!

Forget the alcohol debate...VAFA wont change a thing...move on...nothing to see here.

Back to the footy...

Power House played Elsternwick in a pre season Practice match last Saturday at Croke Park in County Cork, Ireland.

Close game.

Most players will be able to fly back for round 1.

Forget the alcohol debate...VAFA wont change a thing...move on...nothing to see here.

Back to the footy...

Power House played Elsternwick in a pre season Practice match last Saturday at Croke Park in County Cork, Ireland.

Close game.

:thumbsu: gold

Back to the footy...

Close game.

Close game but who won? A brilliant post!

so your saying there is something wrong with my old man cause he doesnt want to come see my club play? he worked his arse off for years as a single father so i had everything i needed growing up, sat has always been his day where he walked down to the footy had a couple of beers relaxed with the other parents of the juniors & enjoyed life.

i dont expect him to come down to watch me every week as i am no good, now because he chooses to go watch a much higher standard of footy to get away from it all & have a couple of beers, does that make him a drunk? doesnt that make him a bad person? what are you trying to say? i bet you would never insinuate these things to my face!

Your old man sounds like a stand up guy. You on the other hand sound like a whinging girl.

Strong insult to username ratio is strong.

Irish Republic and North
Dermott Brereton
Adam Cooney
Martin Clarke
Sean Denham
Paul Earley
Tadhg Kennelly
Ryan Houlihan
Stuart Magee
Kieran McGuinness (Irish father from Dublin)
Dermot McNicholl
Robin Mulholland
Setanta Ó hAilpín (Irish father, Fijian mother)
Brian Stynes
Jim Stynes
Sean Wight (See below Scotland)
Colm Begley
Zach Tuohy
Michael Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back