D4 Division 4 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
NB play both SMD and SM last 2 rounds but SMD play Parkside and SM have got Elsternwick. Very interesting! Parkside have had some really inaccurate weeks too.

Also no french = no SM?

NB play both SMD and SM last 2 rounds but SMD play Parkside and SM have got Elsternwick. Very interesting! Parkside have had some really inaccurate weeks too.

Also no french = no SM?

Sth Melb were good yesterday, had 5-6 under 19s available and their pressure and run got the jump on us
Makes the last two weeks interesting now
As for no French no SM of course take out our best scorer and it’s gonna hurt

Looks like it could come down to % for who sneaks in.
Bob, hopefully French is back playing for the final 2 games of the home and away season. He could be the difference between finals or no finals.
I watched the BHN Parkside match and was impressed with BHN's endeavour, they took it up to Parkside but in the they had more class and managed to run away with it.
Any idea as to where finals will be played and if they'll be played on a Saturday?

Any idea as to where finals will be played and if they'll be played on a Saturday?
The VAFA tell us early? Ya gotta be kidding. They usually make the announcement the Tuesday after R18.

The VAFA usually tries to pick somewhere on the same side of town as the two sides playing, and somewhere equally convenient (or inconvenient) to both. Given that the 2nd semi is locked in as North Brunswick vs Parkside, Northcote Park would be ideal (Northcote Park are in the NFL, but the ground has often been used for VAFA finals before), but this is just my opinion - I don't know whether they are interested in hosting this year. The 1st semi is less clear, given that it could be either SFX vs South Melbourne District or SFX vs South Mornington. Phark knows where you'd play the latter - probably somewhere near Frankston.

The VAFA tell us early? Ya gotta be kidding. They usually make the announcement the Tuesday after R18.

The VAFA usually tries to pick somewhere on the same side of town as the two sides playing, and somewhere equally convenient (or inconvenient) to both. Given that the 2nd semi is locked in as North Brunswick vs Parkside, Northcote Park would be ideal (Northcote Park are in the NFL, but the ground has often been used for VAFA finals before), but this is just my opinion - I don't know whether they are interested in hosting this year. The 1st semi is less clear, given that it could be either SFX vs South Melbourne District or SFX vs South Mornington. Phark knows where you'd play the latter - probably somewhere near Frankston.
Somewhere near Frankston hahahahhaahahahahahahahahah
When we have played finals in the past it’s been Vermont, Bundoora, Elsternwick Park but mainly Oakleigh

Plenty of rain forecast for Saturday. There has not been many rainy days this season so I think there might be a few upsets on the cards if teams show up to play with the right mindset.
I'm think NM v SM, Elsternwick v EP and Parkside v SMD could all be a lot closer than what we first might have thought.

R16: SMD rolls SM to close the gap, but SM stay in the 4 on percentage.

R17 tips:
North Brunswick vs South Mornington. NB should do the job well enough.
Elsternwick vs Eley Park. Elsternwick have had a good second half to the year and should take the points at home.
Masala vs Mt Lilydale. A winnable prospect for Masala but think MtL might just do it, unimpressive though their form has been of late.
Parkside vs South Melbourne District. Thanks to receiving a forfeit in the U19s, SMD seem to have six or so U19s in their side last week, including several of their goal kickers and best players. These players will be unavailable this week so it will be back to earth with a thud for SMD. Parkside easily, margin depending upon rain.
SFX vs. Box Hill North. SFX in a canter.

The big interest now is the race between SM and SMD for fourth spot. SMD started with a flyer but faded out badly while SM made a slow start before improving, but have faltered against sides in the top 4. SM plays NB and Elsternwick in the last two rounds while SMD play Parkside and North Brunswick. A lot will come down to how seriously NB takes the last two rounds, given that they already have the double chance locked in for both seniors and reserves. Do they want to go into the finals on a roll, or will they rest players in the last round? Equally, Parkside are assured of second (and theirs 2s can't make the top 2, so no incentive to stack the 2s), so they might ease up a little, though they would be more likely to do this in R18 vs Mt Lilydale. Or Elsternwick might just go hard in R18 - even if you can't make the finals, there's a bit of satisfaction in knocking someone else out. Great that there is still so much to play for so late in the season.

From the VAFA scribe

“Following their 42-point win over the Dees, Parkside were able to lockup a top four finish and will now officially play finals for the first time in their clubs short history”

This guy has no idea.

From the VAFA scribe

“Following their 42-point win over the Dees, Parkside were able to lockup a top four finish and will now officially play finals for the first time in their clubs short history”

This guy has no idea.

Surely you'd read over your work before submitting.

It'll be interesting to see if the top 4 will look to rest players leading into finals. Also, for the teams that wont make it, if they'll struggle filling both sides given now the players motivation across all grades will be at a low.. not to mention the terrible weather that is on it's way which I'm sure will play a part

Massive win for Parkside resting their best player - could a flag be flying over Pitcher once again in 2018?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive win for Parkside resting their best player - could a flag be flying over Pitcher once again in 2018?!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was also there and they looked very impressive. Will be a great finals series, any idea of venue yet ?.

Other than Masala no surprises yesterday other than the margins in a couple of games.
Looks like it comes down to the last round as to who finishes 4th, I can't see Sth Melb beating North Brunswick on yesterdays performance v Parkside.
The South Mornington V Elsternwick game will be a cracker, Bob any players to return and what was the wash up from yesterdays game ?.

The race for fourth spot has just gone stupid.

SMD (5th) gets flogged by 23 goals but actually narrows the % gap because SM (4th) got flogged by even more. And one of these is likely to make the finals.

SM vs Elsternwick in R18 becomes a de facto Elimination Final, with Elsternwick in finals contention for the first time this year. Elsternwick would have to win by more than 56pts, though, to make it, and rely on SMD losing.

SMD, despite being 3-8 from their last 11 starts, could do a Steven Bradbury and make the finals if Elsternwick beats SM by the right margin (about 50 pts or so) and SMD wins (unlikely, but possible if NB rests players) or loses very narrowly.

Still think that SM is most likely to make the 4, even after some pretty unimpressive form lately (losing to SMD last week, 28 goal shellacking yesterday). Only other conclusion is that the 1st Semi will be pretty sh!t.

Other than Masala no surprises yesterday other than the margins in a couple of games.
Looks like it comes down to the last round as to who finishes 4th, I can't see Sth Melb beating North Brunswick on yesterdays performance v Parkside.
The South Mornington V Elsternwick game will be a cracker, Bob any players to return and what was the wash up from yesterdays game ?.

Tough day yesterday, North Brunswick are very well drilled in the seniors and reserves
We have 8 blokes missing last two weeks and those guys pretty much our spine
Injuries and holidays killed us, hopefully get a couple back this week but then again had a few more injuries yesterday so they just replace those guys

Tough day yesterday, North Brunswick are very well drilled in the seniors and reserves
We have 8 blokes missing last two weeks and those guys pretty much our spine
Injuries and holidays killed us, hopefully get a couple back this week but then again had a few more injuries yesterday so they just replace those guys
Sounds like you have been doing it tough Bob and the fact that players decide to head off o/s at this time of the year really hurts after what had been a great 6/7 weeks.
Having watched Parkside demolish SMD yesterday it would take a great effort for anyone to beat them, having said that I've only seen NB twice this year and although they won weren't as impressive but what's your thoughts Bob ?.

NB will crush Parkside.

I’m tipping an NB vs SFX Grand Final.
I don't think they will crush Parkside but would love to know why you think it would be so one sided ?.
From my observation Parkside have improved more than any other team as the season has progressed and looked very sharp yesterday !.

Sounds like you have been doing it tough Bob and the fact that players decide to head off o/s at this time of the year really hurts after what had been a great 6/7 weeks.
Having watched Parkside demolish SMD yesterday it would take a great effort for anyone to beat them, having said that I've only seen NB twice this year and although they won weren't as impressive but what's your thoughts Bob ?.

We haven’t got anywhere near North Brunswick or Parkside this year so I would say they are GF bound
North Brunswick said after last years straight sets they are not resting blokes next week and still have 4 to come back in which is scary
SFX are a funny one we got flogged first game and then knocked them off at home
So hopefully we can get the job done against the Wicks and have a crack at SFX
From there there’s always the pressure of going out in straight sets in the pre Lim for the top 2 side and finals footy can throw up anything

Last edited:
I don't think they will crush Parkside but would love to know why you think it would be so one sided ?.
From my observation Parkside have improved more than any other team as the season has progressed and looked very sharp yesterday !.

Parkside lack the depth of NB ... their bottom six are very poor when compared to NB.

Also Parkside really struggled to knock off BHN a few weeks back which is not a good sign coming into September.

Parkside lack the depth of NB ... their bottom six are very poor when compared to NB.

Also Parkside really struggled to knock off BHN a few weeks back which is not a good sign coming into September.
Fair enough but using your logic didn't North Brunswick lose to Mt Lilydale ?

North Brunswick have too much firepower up forward. You could say if the George brothers don't play they suffer but they have another couple of key forwards who can step up in Salloum and you forget about Notaro who has only played 5 games this year! I've seen them twice now and I think they are too well drilled and work really well to drive the footy off half back. My tip for Premiers as they are probably a lot of others tip as well.

Well done to Masala for ending the year well too.. Hopefully a step in the right direction to be highly competitive next season.

Fair enough but using your logic didn't North Brunswick lose to Mt Lilydale ?

Once loss does not a pattern make.

Mids - 1st tier midfields are evenly matched, 2nd tier NB mids are much better. The only advantage I see Parkside having is in the Ruck (if Friel plays).
Backs - Slight Edge to NB > they attack more aggressively and with more precision off half back.
Forwards - NB > Notaro is as 4th/5th option. That's ridiculous!
Depth - NB > just look at the 2's results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back