Do people attend the GF on their own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2006
Queensland
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Jack Darling
I'm heading down with someone else, but I cant help but notice lots of people selling 1 ticket and I wouldn't imagine it would nearly be as fun or memorable on your own on the ultimate day.

Do people actually go on their own?

Have you ever gone on your own and what is it like?

Went on my own in 2013. I was on the top row of the Great Southern Stand and most people around me were in the same position. It was still an exciting day though and considering the logistics (especially for interstate fans, and especially for WA fans) I don't think it's that unreal or absurd. Seems a luxury if anything.

I mean, really, would you truly miss seeing your team win a flag because you might have to be there by yourself?

I've gone to the last three solo. Had mates there but the logistics of getting tickets for members/non members etc have made it very hard to organise - we've caught up for a drink at the break and before/after but during the game we would be watching it rather than interacting too much anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An old bloke went to the GF on his own...next to him was the only vacant seat in an otherwise packed MCG.....
A reporter noticed this and walked over.
"hey mate I can see you are here on your own with a vacant seat..whats the story?" asks the reporter.
"Well", says the old man, "that would have been my wife's seat...we have gone to every GF together since 1958...but she passed away recently".
"oh that is sad...But couldnt you get anyone else to come with you today?" asks the reporter.
"I tried", replied the old man, "But the bastards all went to her funeral"!!!
:)

I'm heading down with someone else, but I cant help but notice lots of people selling 1 ticket and I wouldn't imagine it would nearly be as fun or memorable on your own on the ultimate day.

Do people actually go on their own?

Have you ever gone on your own and what is it like?

Been on my own to 3 GFs. This will be my 4th. Took family to 14 and 13. CBF taking them this year. The day is fine as I catch up with people until about an hour before the game starts at which time I take my seat. I don't need to talk during the game though if there are topics game specific, the people around you are generally fine to chat with.

Went to 2012 on my own - listened to the radio commentary while at the ground for the first time.

I was also surrounded by a bunch of Swans supporters also on their own - I had a great time. Obviously met up with my mates afterwards who had been sitting elsewhere.

Much the same as watching it on telly: more fun with mates but you still enjoy it alone.

Should definitely not be a reason not to go.

Sure will be.

The wife landed herself a corporate box seat through work so has bailed on me.. Prolly better for both our sakes.

Went by myself to the first GF in 2010. Was alright - the game itself was obviously close enough that I didn't miss having company.

Was still an MCC member back then, but didn't try to get a ticket for the replay because I was too much of a wreck after the first game. Decided I couldn't cope with another game like that, so watched the replay from the safety of my couch.

On the other hand, I went to the 2011 GF with my brothers, and my memories of that day are ****ing awful.

Moral of the story is, if your team wins, you'll be stoked and very happy you're there. If they lose it will be an awful day. If it's a draw, you may well have a minor stroke and then vomit off the top of the Ponsford like I nearly did.

How hard is it to get a ticket? Do you absolutely have to be a club member. I have no idea of the process. My dad tried to get me a ticket in 09 but was too hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people attend the GF on their own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back