Do people attend the GF on their own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Went on my own in 2013. I was on the top row of the Great Southern Stand and most people around me were in the same position. It was still an exciting day though and considering the logistics (especially for interstate fans, and especially for WA fans) I don't think it's that unreal or absurd. Seems a luxury if anything.

I mean, really, would you truly miss seeing your team win a flag because you might have to be there by yourself?

Almost word for word (even the seating location) this was the same for me in 2013.

Given the costs involved and me getting a ticket at the last minute it turned out to be close to $3000 for the weekend. That's hefty coin per person for a family of four ( which is normally how I go to the footy).

Not a Grand Final, but I went down to Adelaide for the Port-Richmond Elimination Final last year alone.

Majority of my friends/family are Lions supporters and aren't that big on footy so I already knew I would have to go alone. I've never really been someone who likes going to concerts, sports, or movies alone so I was a little hesitant whether to go or not.

Originally decided to give it a miss, but the club released some more tickets on the wed or thurs, so I thought **** it I'll regret it if I don't go. Jumped online to get the cheapest flights I could find down. Flew down on the Sat morning, had some lunch down at Glenelg, caught the tram back to the city in time for the march, went to the game, then flew back home that night. Being at the game alone didn't feel as weird as I thought, loved every single minute of it and I'd do it again.

I'll be hoping to be at this years GF alone.

I go to lots of games by myself, regardless of who's playing, and I don't see how it's seen as that weird that we have a thread about it! Are people really that insecure that doing things alone is weird?

As someone alluded to earlier, as an AFL silver member the guest passes are expensive. I haven't been in Melbourne that long, so I haven't met that many people yet.

And beyond all that - I'm a massive footy geek. I don't actually go to the games for a social occasion. I go because I love footy, I love sitting there with a radio and a record, and I think our game is infinitely more interesting high up in the stands where you can see the game really unfold.

I actually find myself looking down my nose at people who comment on the tactical element of footy without ever attending games. Unfortunately, you can't possibly understand defensive structures and defensive zones in this game just by watching on tv.

Last edited:
Never been to a Grand Final (for obvious reasons har har har), but getting to an age where thats got to be rectified. I have been to Demons games alone though, and do enjoy them when I end up doing it (usually once or twice a year, when my usual crowd is otherwise engaged). Not sure how it would go with 100,000 people screaming, but at the kinds of Melbourne games that nobody but me really prioritises; I find I get a good chance to take the game in and have a bit of a think about what's going on in my life. Keep in mind that these are usually matches against sides like Brisbane where we are lucky to draw 20,000 - and you'll get the picture. Most of the row to myself, short lines at the shop/bar, no wait for the toilet, empty corridors under the stands during the quarters etc.

I'm heading down with someone else, but I cant help but notice lots of people selling 1 ticket and I wouldn't imagine it would nearly be as fun or memorable on your own on the ultimate day.

Do people actually go on their own?

Have you ever gone on your own and what is it like?
Sh*t yeah. Lots of people do it. Hit and miss I guess. Depends on who you are sitting next to but in my experience 9/10 footy fans are good. 1/10 dickheads.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sat alone for the 2011 Grand Final, but amongst a bay of Geelong supporters. You just chat with the people around you and all that, and once the game has started, depending how invested you are, you won't care who is around you.

I haven't, but I would.

Everyone has a lot of nervous energy that results in talking to strangers a lot easier. And if you win, hi-fives and/or hugs all round.

There are no bad seats in a Winning GF. There are no good seats in a losing one either.

I go to plenty of music concerts and sporting games alone. You get to talk to people you wouldn't normally do.

Drove over on my own
Sat on my own at the GF
Had two beers with some sainters after the game
Then drive home on my own the next day

Drove to the dogs saints game too in 09
Finished work, 8 hours kip, got in the car, drove to melb, watched the game, got back in the car and drove home.
I'll never do that again....kinda stupid

Full AFL member so I've been to most GFs in the last 25 years. It was always hard to get a ticket when Collingwood were involved - missed out for the Draw and our family only got the one ticket for the replay (Back row of the Southern stand). I happily went along on my own. There is nothing like being there. I also can't have the crap about corporates destroying the atmosphere. It's electric. The roar after the National Anthem makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, regardless of who's playing.

Living outside of Victoria I have yet to go to a Grand Final. It is a bucket list thing and I would jump at the opportunity to go alone. Would probably do some networking to have someone to meet at a pub afterwards though.

This will be my 2nd year in a row going by myself, but doing the Lunch/dining Option. Sure, you're seated at a table with a bunch of strangers, but after a couple of beers the conversation flows pretty freely in any case! :) Couldn't think of a better way to experience the big day, even if your team isn't involved. Sure, its more pricey than a standard ticket, but its one thing I'm happy to spluge on.

Due to the difficulty in obtaining tickets, you'll find a lot of people on their own. The good part of that is the spirit of camaraderie between you and anybody surrounding you who goes for the same team. Our whole section in the AFL reserve last year was bantering with eachother, giving high 5s, lots of fun.

This will be my 2nd year in a row going by myself, but doing the Lunch/dining Option. Sure, you're seated at a table with a bunch of strangers, but after a couple of beers the conversation flows pretty freely in any case! :) Couldn't think of a better way to experience the big day, even if your team isn't involved. Sure, its more pricey than a standard ticket, but its one thing I'm happy to spluge on.

I've often pondered this. The only thing holdinge back is that my friends can't get dining, so would be spending most of the game away from them getting tanked. Must be the best day ever if you can get a group together.

I often go to the footy with friends and hate going alone. I believe footy is a game you play with mates, and watch with mates.

However if i was offered only one ticket to a grand final this would overrule. Simply because the ability to go to a grand final is difficult and you can't go with friends mostly because it depends on their finances. I would love to go with a friend if i was going, but if i did get a ticket i'd probably accept that i'd be by myself. But i'd be pretty caught up in the atmosphere of the day to worry about not being with my mates

As a Port supporter I went to the 2007 Grand Final with my son.
It was AFTER the match that I wanted to be alone, with just my handkerchief in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do people attend the GF on their own?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back