Do we have any potentially elite players?

Remove this Banner Ad

hurley, ryder, pears, atkinson, dempsey.. can also see Laycock doing something amazing and becoming AA just because he reads bigfooty.

He's not even likely to make it as an AFL footballer, let alone an elite one.

Gumbleton, Houli, Hurley and Ryder.

Has far too many flaws to become an elite footballer.

Will be a good footballer at best IMO.

Dustin Fletcher is and always has been an elite defender.

Hurley and Pears could potentially become elite.

Watson is getting very close, Winderlich and Houli may have the potential.

Gumbleton and Neagle could potentially become elite forwards.

David Hille is one of the elite ruckmen, and Ryder most certainly looks like he will be.

Blokes like Hayes, Ablett and Montagna were getting 30+ disposals frequently.

Watson is the only one of our players matching work ethic like that. When his kicking is more reliable, and when he's kicking a couple of goals each game, then we have an elite player. I reckon Jobe's just very very good at the moment.

Potentially elite? Ryder, Prismall, Winderlich, Hurley... and a couple of years ago I would have said McVeigh.

...forgot about Pears as well!

Blokes like Hayes, Ablett and Montagna were getting 30+ disposals frequently.

Watson is the only one of our players matching work ethic like that. When his kicking is more reliable, and when he's kicking a couple of goals each game, then we have an elite player. I reckon Jobe's just very very good at the moment.

Potentially elite? Ryder, Prismall, Winderlich, Hurley... and a couple of years ago I would have said McVeigh.

...forgot about Pears as well!
I jumped onto footywire a few weeks ago to call bs on someone who claimed heaps of guys average 30.
Since that started (about 10 years) there's been maybe 4 guys to have a season averaging 30 touches. 3 of them in the last couple of years, Scott West was the other.

It's bloody hard to make this call though. Find me someone who said Ablett & Bartel would be 2 of the top 5 mids in the game 5 years ago...

Elite is used to loosely.
Watson, because of his kicking he could be the tier below elite, not quite though. Elite Clearences though.
Prismall is an elite kick, as is Hurley and Ryder.
Reimers is the only Essendon player that has the potential to be fully blown elite though imo.

Elite is used to loosely.

Strongly agree. Jobe Watson though is one who I would now call elite. Winderlich, Hurley & Ryder all have the potential to make it to that 'elite' level off the top of my head.

Reimers is the only Essendon player that has the potential to be fully blown elite though imo.

Strongly disagree. Reimers will never be a fully blown elite, that I can guarentee you now. Don't get your hopes up too high. Can become a very good footballer, above average; but not anywhere near the rare category.

Strongly disagree. Reimers will never be a fully blown elite, that I can guarentee you now. Don't get your hopes up too high. Can become a very good footballer, above average; but not anywhere near the rare category.

Strongly disagree - if we're talking about purely tangible qualities such as skills and fitness then you're wrong - Reimers is close to the best kick at Essendon, has speed, clean hands and good vision.

Work ethic will only stop him from becoming a star.

I'm not worried about Reimers' work ethic. From day dot, he's been doing pre-season with Stanton in a bid to get his fitness up to scratch. That suggests he has the desire to be the best he can, and if his body and his talent lets him, he'll be a star.

Reimers is close to the best kick at Essendon, has speed, clean hands and good vision.

Reimers isn't in the top five best kicks at Essendon from my perspective, and in most of the coach's minds down at the EFC. I can tell you right now last year they rated Lovett, Winderlich, Prismall & Hurley ahead of Reimers in the kicking stakes off the top of my head. After that, they're all fairly even.

Has speed? Not lightning. Clean hands? Sometimes. Good vision? Sometimes.

Good player, that will probably end up being seen as a 'very good player' at the end of his career. Has got the boots and the personality type to really flaunt his magic, but his magic has limits unfortunately. Would love to be proven wrong. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reimers will never be a fully blown elite, that I can guarentee you now. Don't get your hopes up too high. Can become a very good footballer, above average; but not anywhere near the rare category.

Strongly disagree - if we're talking about purely tangible qualities such as skills and fitness then you're wrong - Reimers is close to the best kick at Essendon, has speed, clean hands and good vision.

I'm with Smyth on this one. His kicking was average this season, however that can happen when you're unable to run out entire games and coming off a serious leg injury.

Look to 2008 to see just how good Reimers' kicking can be. I think if Reimers gets his head screwed on properly, he could be our star midfielder. Has absolutely all of the attributes to do so in my opinion.

Have to agree about Reimers.

When I was in Melbourne in July 2008 and watched training 3 times a week - Reimers stood out as the most highly skilled player.

The question is whether he can wisely use his other attributes into a complete package.

I believe that if you consider his draft position he is about as good as they come, I wonder why he didn't get picked up earlier?

Probably already been said, but surely Jobe Watson is a prime example of someone heading for greatness.

The question is whether he can wisely use his other attributes into a complete package.

Not many players can; only the very special players can turn that switch.

Reimers is good, and talented; but doubt he could ever make that big enough 'switch' to elite. Like I said previously, hope he proves me very wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any potentially elite players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back