Opinion Do you rate Buckley as coach?

Do you rate Buckley as a coach?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

V-23 is a Carlton supporter who didnt even post in the thread. Merely voted no for the sake of it.

You should be happy that someone agrees with you.

Im truly shocked that you would have this point of view.

I look at our on field performance when making such a judgement. On field we went backwards and not all of it can be atrributed to injuries. I also dont like the fact that he doesnt rate motivating players.

Yeh he is a great speaker, handles himself brilliantly in front of the media and is probably a great bloke going by those that know him but that is irrelevant. Coaching is not a popularity contest.

You should be happy that someone agrees with you.

Its usually good to get a third party assessment of the situation free of bias. In this case its not unbiased as it was a scum supporter.

You seemd more concerned about agreeing with popularist theory and not being the odd one out who is afraid to post a differing opinion. Great soldier you will make.

Can someone coach? Can someone coach a team to a premiership? Two different things. I think Ratten was a pretty good coach but he didnt convince Carlton supporters that he could coach. Malthouse has convinced the fans but it's questionable that he can coach Carlton to a premiership. So what do I mean? Perceptions are not reality and vice versa. We'll know more about Buckley in the next two years.

What would happen if he posted a "do you rate Clarkson" thread on the Hawthorn board?

I dont know who taught the Hawks how to choke but whoever did it, did a fantastic job. That was 2 of the best hours of choking that I've ever seen. Even our 1970 team choked only once to let Carlton back in the game. The Hawks did it 3 times. My compliments to Clarko!!

I don't care how he talks in front of the camera , I want to see a distinct gameplan next year before judging bucks .

Gameplan is there.

Players aren't executing yet. Hopefully it'll become clearer next year, when they have a grip, with a fuller squad and some form from key players.

keep-calm-and-have-faith-in-bucks.png

Absolutely rate him. Had a mountain of injuries to deal with and especially an unsettled defence all year. Eventually got beaten by the Premiers in 2nd last week of the season, when other sides dealing with injuries missed the top 8 altogether. If we trade well to fill up one or two gaps where the youngsters aren't quite ready, I expect Buckley to take us to #16 quickly.

The jury is not in. He didn't manage to create a forward line from the injury wreckage, but he did hold the defence together despite the carnage there. He did not produce any inspiration of the kind that Sanderson brought to Adelaide's final's campaign. He got them up for the West Coast final, but not for the Sydney one. So, I don't know. I want to see more.

Let's also remember he had to construct a new coaching group after Neeld and Watters left. Personally I think he carried the coaching group this year. Whatever people's opinion, we won't know if he can really coach 2-3 years down the track.

I think the key to any good coach is their "man management" skills - the ability to get the whole list playing for them. Not sure Bucks is their yet in respect to this area. As I said earlier think he has made a great start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its usually good to get a third party assessment of the situation free of bias. In this case its not unbiased as it was a scum supporter.

You seemd more concerned about agreeing with popularist theory and not being the odd one out who is afraid to post a differing opinion. Great soldier you will make.

Well I am part of the army so I will take that as a compliment.

Wellers and Dawes are two disappointments that can do so much more but we keep waiting & waiting. Bucks walks in and says; right! you and you - you're off, pack your bags.

:)

Wellers and Dawes are two disappointments that can do so much more but we keep waiting & waiting. Bucks walks in and says; right! you and you - you're off, pack your bags.

:)
It appears so Eddie, footy is a cold hard business nowadays even at Pie land and Bux represents the new sharp edge of corporate style footy.

Nothing is left to chance and you perform - or else.

Players can only be babied along for so long until you eventually have to bite the bullet and say its never going to happen under the current circumstances.

The thing old supporters like myself must constantly remind ourselves is that having 17 opposing clubs for the season makes every tiny detail critical - or potentially so for ultimate success.

I don't particularly like the idea of moving players on but there is a distinct aura of purpose in this trade period, a flexing of muscles to the world that signals intent, calm and detailed intent to take a back seat to no club.

This took far too long to happen to be considered a positive, dawes didn't have to regain form to get back into the team as there was no vfl game that week and it was heading into the finals so he was always going to come back in. I think Dawes should thank Wood for being so inept at football, if Wood wasn't such a crab Dawes would have been dropped halfway through the season and made to earn his spot.

True that, was just pulling offf things off the top of my head. A better example would've been debuting all those players back against Adelaide when they were top dogs at their home ground.

Dawes was between a rock and a hard place, do you drop him and shatter his confidence? Or do you leave him the team and let his confidence fall away? I think Bucks didn't have a choice as Dawes was so bad whatever choice he made wouldn't look too good - so I agree exactly what you said with Wood.

The OP is from an opposition supporter?
Yes he is and to be honest I am not very keen on that either what makes him think he can come and start straw polls on our board.That in itself is in my opinion a smartarse thing to do I do not know if he thinks he can start some trouble here.

As I say I think it is the mark of a smartarse and I would never dream of going on someone else,s board and starting a poll like this.

The only gripe I have about bucks was that I wanted to see Ceglar played against the Giants but Buckley know,s more about the players than I or anyone else here so I accept that.

There were a few players this year who were lucky to remain in the team but with the injuries that was always going to be the cases.
The club made the right choice when appointing Buckley and we do not need any outside poster starting polls on our board as Jmac said what sort of reaction would we received if we presumed to do this on someone else,s board.

Being the only one to wander onto the battlefield for a hopeless cause doesn't make a great solider either.

Sorry to intrude guys. Firstly, I am not casting a vote.
My take on this subject as an outsider with a totally unbiased view.
It is unfair to compare a first year coach with a guy that has coached for decades.
On the media front, Bucks is streets ahead. He demonstrates clear thinking and a level head answering questions and is never rude. Malthouse was full of himself and was very sarcastic after losses.
On game plans, bucks seems more adventurous and has more risk taking involved. Malthouse had a very defensive mindset with a great counter attack game.
The one thing Malthouse was able to do was have his players almost die for him. He did that everywhere he coached. Hell he even had the Richmond back line play for each other to the death when he was the back pocket in the late 70's and early 80's. He marshaled the troops and was the self appointed coach down back back then.
Buckley has yet to demonstrate the ability to do this. The only game I saw this passion in was the final against West Coast. You could argue that the emotions surrounding JMacs death brought this out in the players.
Anyway it is far too early to make a fair comparison. Bucks has done a great job in his first year. His challenge will be to get them up again next year as the Malthouse effect becomes more distant.
Just my 2 cents worth!

Sorry to intrude guys. Firstly, I am not casting a vote.
My take on this subject as an outsider with a totally unbiased view.
It is unfair to compare a first year coach with a guy that has coached for decades.
On the media front, Bucks is streets ahead. He demonstrates clear thinking and a level head answering questions and is never rude. Malthouse was full of himself and was very sarcastic after losses.
On game plans, bucks seems more adventurous and has more risk taking involved. Malthouse had a very defensive mindset with a great counter attack game.
The one thing Malthouse was able to do was have his players almost die for him. He did that everywhere he coached. Hell he even had the Richmond back line play for each other to the death when he was the back pocket in the late 70's and early 80's. He marshaled the troops and was the self appointed coach down back back then.
Buckley has yet to demonstrate the ability to do this. The only game I saw this passion in was the final against West Coast. You could argue that the emotions surrounding JMacs death brought this out in the players.
Anyway it is far too early to make a fair comparison. Bucks has done a great job in his first year. His challenge will be to get them up again next year as the Malthouse effect becomes more distant.
Just my 2 cents worth!

Your rational and well thought out response means you are not KB. Thanks for your input, I hope some of our regular anti Bucks posters have a read.

I look at our on field performance when making such a judgement. On field we went backwards and not all of it can be atrributed to injuries. I also dont like the fact that he doesnt rate motivating players.

Yeh he is a great speaker, handles himself brilliantly in front of the media and is probably a great bloke going by those that know him but that is irrelevant. Coaching is not a popularity contest.
We were one win off repeating last years performance; a grand final appearance.
I think one extra loss can be directly attributed to our injuries instead of your sad, unwarranted, degrading, school boy view of Buckley

We were one win off repeating last years performance; a grand final appearance.
I think one extra loss can be directly attributed to our injuries instead of your sad, unwarranted, degrading, school boy view of Buckley

What the hell has Buckley proved this year? That he is a good speaker? Dont know about you but I dont care if he can speak better than Paul Keating at his best in the Australian Parliament.

When I see improvements in gameplan I will reassess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Do you rate Buckley as coach?

Back