Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2006
Private Idaho
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
West Coast Racing Pigeon Club
Soccer will dominate pay tv once the afl transfers to Fox 3, eventually it will blanket coverage everything....and all us AFL supporters will be sucked up into a vortex of friggin off side rules and nancy boy soccer players..heaven help us all....

The Kipster said:
Soccer will dominate pay tv once the afl transfers to Fox 3, eventually it will blanket coverage everything....and all us AFL supporters will be sucked up into a vortex of friggin off side rules and nancy boy soccer players..heaven help us all....

Pretty much. Ive heard rumors of a Soccer channel

Embers said:
Pretty much. Ive heard rumors of a Soccer channel

but dont forget if the majority if not all the afl games could be fta therefore more audiences watching it and more exposure of the afl. as long as soccer is on pay tv soccer will never become as successful as afl. multichanneling is gonna change the television market dramatically.

The Kipster said:

Don't start scaremongering bull siht,mate! If you think there will be more soccer on tv than AFL,you're dreaming.
I follow both codes equally;am an AFL member and love watching EPL.

Got a problem????

MAG87 said:
multichanneling is gonna change the television market dramatically.

MAG87 - multi channeling doe's that give the opportunity for interstate fans to see their teams play...as Fox is the only way at the moment I get to see the Hawks play....I hope it takes the disadvantage of following interstate teams out fo the equation as thats why I got Fox to start with..
I am sure there are people saying who gives a rats about the Hawks but this effects all of us in one way or another...

Crosby87 said:
On the 7 ticker this afternoon:

FOOTBALL: SOCCEROO'S [Insert Random Player I don't know here] SIGNS WITH...

Ridiculous.
Oh dear, they put up a news item about a major world sport that you aren't interested in. And then made you read it.

How ridiculous.

:rolleyes:

Crosby87 said:

Ridiculous.

who was it?
Yeah how ridiculous. They should only show AFl so that you dont have to worry about such big matters.

arrowman said:
Oh dear, they put up a news item about a major world sport that you aren't interested in. And then made you read it.

How ridiculous.

:rolleyes:

I feel safe in the knowledge that I'm smarter than you. :D So I'll be gentle.

The point was, they're still calling it FOOTBALL, despite the next word being SOCCEROO. I'm sorry I had to point that out to you. ;)

And I actually follow Soccer, so you shot yourself in the foot. Dumbass.

Lukesta63 said:
Don't start scaremongering bull siht,mate! If you think there will be more soccer on tv than AFL,you're dreaming.
I follow both codes equally;am an AFL member and love watching EPL.

Got a problem????

Whoa back up the truck Charlie, it is not scaremongering how much friggin soccer gets shown now? alot more than footy doe's at the minute...and yes I have a problem that our great code will get eroded away by international sports with greater amounts of money etc.
This is a sport that is a national treasure and has always been nurtured at a grass roots level, now it seems to be all about money & greed and more decisions that are made like this will be to the detriment of football because the grass roots level will drop off....

Sorry Lukesta63 I wish to avoid that vortex of falling over before physical contact has been made..

Crosby87 said:
The point was, they're still calling it FOOTBALL, despite the next word being SOCCEROO. I'm sorry I had to point that out to you. ;)
Which is about as ridiculous as putting up a news item about RUGBY despite the next word being WALLABY.

Sorry you find that so absurd. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called Soccer here. Just like it is in Canada, and the United States etc. etc. (where they don't have this problem, I might add.)

Sorry you guys can't accept that. ;)

And as soon as this "Socceroos" woody wears off, it'll be Soccer forever. And that's not a knock on the game, because I don't dislike Soccer, it's a knock on the uneducated apes who plan on "TAKING OVER AFL AT ALL COSTS".

The Kipster said:
Whoa back up the truck Charlie, it is not scaremongering how much friggin soccer gets shown now?
You're right, it's a disgrace!
The Kipster said:
alot more than footy doe's at the minute...
I didn't realise the A-League was on FTA TV and that soccer has its own dedicated pay TV channel.
The Kipster said:
and yes I have a problem that our great code will get eroded away by international sports with greater amounts of money etc.
This is a sport that is a national treasure and has always been nurtured at a grass roots level, now it seems to be all about money & greed and more decisions that are made like this will be to the detriment of football because the grass roots level will drop off....
You're right. Tens of thousands of people will stop following Australian Rules Football because White Line Fever is no longer available.

TO THE BARRICADES!!!

FFS Get some perspective, or take a pill ,or something. :rolleyes:

We're not threatened.

Here's the thing:

- Soccer fans are not content with AFL fans calling our Football "Football".
- I, personally, am content with Soccer fans calling Soccer "Football". I have no problem with that.

That said, what's the point in having news services suddenly start calling Soccer "Football", when AFL has been called Football down here, and NRL Football up there, for over 100 years? There's no point. They're jumping on the band-wagon. Did they start calling it "Football" when we didn't qualify for the 2002 World Cup? Of course not.

That's my point. And as I said, I'm a Soccer fan, so you're shooting yourself in the foot. My problem is not with the game, or Soccer fans itself, it's the media, who milks anything they can for months.

I don't care what you say, it's always been Soccer here, so that's the way it should stay. And that's not a knock on yourself, or the game.

And if you have a problem with me enjoying the sport while still calling it Soccer, that's pretty sad, and just shows that Soccer fans do not want to co-exist with other sports, but rather wants to take over everything (which again, is sad).

Tens of thousands of people will stop following Australian Rules Football because White Line Fever is no longer available.

FFS Get some perspective, or take a pill ,or something. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Perspective yourself fella, for those that can't watch footy around the country due to remoteness etc, to those that follow interstate teams etc thats what it's about....and I will take my medicines tonight;) when I get home...

Crosby87 said:
We're not threatened.

Here's the thing:

- Soccer fans are not content with AFL fans calling our Football "Football".
- I, personally, am content with Soccer fans calling Soccer "Football". I have no problem with that.
Shrug, like you I follow both codes, Aussie Rules* more than Association Football ;) it doesn't bother me.
Crosby87 said:
That said, what's the point in having news services suddenly start calling Soccer "Football", when AFL has been called Football down here, and NRL Football up there, for over 100 years? There's no point. They're jumping on the band-wagon. Did they start calling it "Football" when we didn't qualify for the 2002 World Cup? Of course not.

That's my point. And as I said, I'm a Soccer fan, so you're shooting yourself in the foot. My problem is not with the game, or Soccer fans itself, it's the media, who milks anything they can for months.
Or it might be the end result of a sustained and successful campaign by the Les Murrays of this world, along with Football Australia who have quite understandably tried to capitalise on the "World Game" aspect of their product, along with the increasing realisation that it's maybe a bit silly and parochial to insist on calling the game "soccer" when it is Football everywhere else that counts (and the US and Canada don't count, in world sport terms), or to use any other word to describe the Football World Cup that is run by the International Football Federation, or when reporting on Australia's performance in the Asian Football Confederation, or...
Crosby87 said:
I don't care what you say, it's always been Soccer here, so that's the way it should stay. And that's not a knock on yourself, or the game.

And if you have a problem with me enjoying the sport while still calling it Soccer, that's pretty sad, and just shows that Soccer fans do not want to co-exist with other sports, but rather wants to take over everything (which again, is sad).
Whoa, I'm not in that category. What do you think I'm doing on BigFooty?

Anyway, end of the day we don't really have that much difference on this. Cheers.

* For the record - it's Australian Rules Football, not AFL. ;)

Crosby87 said:
It's called Soccer here. Just like it is in Canada, and the United States etc. etc. (where they don't have this problem, I might add.)

Sorry you guys can't accept that. ;)

Im glad you dont have a problem with it, because when football federation australia changed thier name to such, the game therefore became known as "football". Soccer is the term a multy skilled nation calls a specific code, just like League (football) Union (football) or even Aussie Rules (football).

There you go, ape education right there.

oh yeah, blah blah, soccer fan for years, blah blah, love both codes

Excuse me, but how did people cope before the creation of the Fox Footy channel ?
Also Foxtel are now actually showing fizzy pop games as well (second tier league in England) which is great for fans like me whose club is not in the EPL. Although not live at the moment, an replay is better then nothing. I've only seen Leeds FC live twice since they were relegated two years ago from the top flight. And I had to go to Charles Dickens pub for that and it was an playoff final.
The irish pay tv carrier Setanta is also good for lower league fans as well. Leeds are live again in the yorkshire derby against Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday night at Dickens.
I deserve the right to watch my english football club play live instead of putting up with garbage like White Line Fever.
I would much prefer to watch Leeds V the Owls instead of the WA Derby (even though it's going to be an great match)
AFL fans complaining about the increased soccer coverage are being selfish IMHO.
I mean we'll see less of Caro Wilson on Telly (white line fever) isn't that a blessing, not a curse ???

Honestly why dont Fox start their own soccer channel, its a genuine question. They wont need any extra staff or facilities as they can just replay shows like Total Football, and then COUNTLESS matches whether it be EPL, Championship, A-League, Socceroos, not to mention wrap-up shows of EPL seasons they must have a huge back catalogue.

Crosby87 said:

Ridiculous.

Well that had me diving for the seven website ... thought Lucas Neill may have made the Spurs switch ...
I find it easier to call football AFL up here in Qld. tis simpler and recognisable. Soccer is soccer because football can mean anything.

Im glad you dont have a problem with it, because when football federation australia changed thier name to such, the game therefore became known as "football".

Says who? Football Australia?

I've heard Ten refer to it as "Soccer" ever since the World Cup is over. And I'm pretty sure I've even heard Sandy refer to it as Soccer.

So I don't see how you have a point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back