Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

finders said:
SOCCER will always be percieved as "wogball" by the majority of Australians and a niche sport to take a passing interest in every 4 years at world cup time.
Last night Melbourne Victory got only 15,000(not even full!) at OP while down the road the Australian Football League got 47,000 at Telstra and the game was also on FTA TV. = Big difference so dont think that AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL is going to die any time soon!

So it is known as 'wogball' out dandemong way? No surprise there. If you don't like 'wogs', don't let that get in the way of your argument, no matter how thinly you try to veil it.

By the way, did you know that the A-League is in its second season? Getting 15k to a game does not sound niche to me. Neither does the few million that will follow those people at the turnstiles, on the box and on the pitch. Oh yeah, they must all be 'wogs' as well, so they don't count down dandemong way.

finders said:
SOCCER will always be percieved as "wogball" by the majority of Australians and a niche sport to take a passing interest in every 4 years at world cup time.
Last night Melbourne Victory got only 15,000(not even full!) at OP while down the road the Australian Football League got 47,000 at Telstra and the game was also on FTA TV. = Big difference so dont think that AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL is going to die any time soon!

I dont think anyone in their right mind could say that soccer is going to challenge AFL in this country for top spot, but 15,000 with alot more trying to get into the ground due to a huge ticketing stuff up is pretty good, especially considering its coming up to finals time, infact one could say that the AFL crowd for the saints v bulldogs should have been higher.

gaelictiogar said:
**** culture always had a bit of a size queen thing going on and their sport in so different with the FFA wanting to own the word football and di ck waving about it. Imagine if beef producers decided beef was really meat. what would we call pork or bacon? All codes have their real names, their short hand names and NONO are exclusively called football everywhere.

Di ck waving is what being a sports administrator is all about, but seriously name more than 1 time when O'Neill has demanded that soccer be called football? And not just when he calls it football himself.

But I do agree with you on the the whole, they are all football and have other names too thing though.

Ragnarok14 said:
I dont think anyone in their right mind could say that soccer is going to challenge AFL in this country for top spot, but 15,000 with alot more trying to get into the ground due to a huge ticketing stuff up is pretty good, especially considering its coming up to finals time, infact one could say that the AFL crowd for the saints v bulldogs should have been higher.
Always some excuse just like the RL idiots!
If soccer is so popular all of a sudden why wasnt the game played at the vacant MCG then?
By the end of the soocer season the crowds will not have improved much and dont forget ONeil is too gutless to go head to head with the other codes in winter.

Ronin said:
So it is known as 'wogball' out dandemong way? No surprise there. If you don't like 'wogs', don't let that get in the way of your argument, no matter how thinly you try to veil it.

By the way, did you know that the A-League is in its second season? Getting 15k to a game does not sound niche to me. Neither does the few million that will follow those people at the turnstiles, on the box and on the pitch. Oh yeah, they must all be 'wogs' as well, so they don't count down dandemong way.

Who said I lived in Dandenong?
Very silly to assume anything you dont know as fact!
You have only one team in a city of nearly 4 million people so 15,000 is a very poor crowd considering all the hype the game had.
No doubt Murdochs News corp will start to push soccer a lot more when their Foxtell business leaves AFL coverage and that will be something dangerous to them do in AFL dominated Melbourne.
What else have they got to show in the thugby hating southern states?

In the end the problem soccer has in the wider sports community in Australia is that it is basicly a boring pommy game ( a bit like cricket) whereas Australian Football once exposed to the population including all migrant groups is a far more exciting and spectacular game esp live .
If you dont believe me go to an AFL or any Australian Football game and see the wide range of ethnic groups that attend - most of whom had no knowledge of our game before but take to it very quickly!

finders said:
Who said I lived in Dandenong? Dont assume anthing you dont know as fact!
You have only one team in a city of nearly 4 million people so 15,000 is a very poor crowd considering all the hype the game had.
No doubt Murdochs News corp will start to push soccer a tot more when their Foxtell business leaves AFL coverage.
What else have they got to show in the thugby hating southern states?

What a load of tripe. Using your criteria:

The AFL has only one team in a city considerably bigger than Melbourne. The Swans average crowds of 30K (with only 12 games a year), and that is with all of the AFL millions being pumped in for 20 years. Furthermore, it comes last in its timeslot on TV (only 123,000 watched the 'blockbuster' versus Collingwood). This is all following a premiership year! Very poor result using your criteria.

You don't know what you are talking about.

finders said:
Always some excuse just like the RL idiots!
If soccer is so popular all of a sudden why wasnt the game played at the vacant MCG then?
By the end of the soocer season the crowds will not have improved much and dont forget ONeil is too gutless to go head to head with the other codes in winter.

There's the whole issue of fitting in with the asian confederation so that a-league sides can play in the ACL not to mention players to be available for cup matches. And why bother trying to push it into winter anyway? a flooded market, potentially bad weather and you think they should of shifted the brand new fledgling soccer competition season to winter?

As for the crowd numbers, 15,000 is good regardless of any 'excuses' as you call them. sure they could have played it at the MCG but even with an crowd the size of around 30,000 (which would be huge for soccer, keep in mind this isn't afl) it would be much worse an atmostphere having 30k in a 100k stadium or having a potential sellout (which is much more likely) in a 18k stadium that all the seats are closer to the pitch.

Ronin said:
What a load of tripe. Using your criteria:

The AFL has only one team in a city considerably bigger than Melbourne. The Swans average crowds of 30K (with only 12 games a year), and that is with all of the AFL millions being pumped in for 20 years. Furthermore, it comes last in its timeslot on TV (only 123,000 watched the 'blockbuster' versus Collingwood). This is all following a premiership year! Very poor result using your criteria.

You don't know what you are talking about.

The Swans games only did badly in the TV ratings because SBS deliberetely put the Iron Chef in the same time slot. If it had been Inspector Rex, the Swans would have come out on top.

Why can't we all just get along?? :(

Seriously, does it really matter if a sport refers to their own as football?

Its beyond a joke how protective some people are with the term, for example ssome AFL fans: "ohh but we were in Australia first that means we can call it football and noone else can cos soccer is soccer and it is not football cos football is football and by the way soccer is really gay and boring"

Similarly, some football/soccer fans believe the same concept that the term football is confined to their sport only.

I for one, refer to Australian Rules Football as 'football' or 'footy' if I am talking in an AR related conversation, I generally call Association Football (Soccer) 'football', but if I am talking to a 'non-football' person, I will use the term 'Soccer' to differ the game I am talking about from 4 or 5 others. Hell, up here in NSW, I'll call Rugby League 'footy' if thats what the conversation relates to!! (though I don't call Rugby Union footy, cos it sucks :) ).

Remember, definition of football: (noun): any of various games played with a ball (round or oval) in which two teams try to kick or carry or propel the ball into each other's goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back