Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

thecoastingcoaster said:
Baaaahhhh.

Your'e a bloody sheep, just because Soccer want's to be called Football in this country doesn't make it so.

If you talk to your friends about Football (If you have any) everyone of them are going to think AFL or RL. It's called Football in Soccer countries where it is the dominant code. However there are countries that are smart enough to make there own dominant Football code like America and us. They refer to there footy code as Football, and in America there quite good at Soccer, like us now.

That said I do like watching the EPL when I can but I think A League is rubbish with absolutley no future in his country, with all the best Aussie players go over to Europe. A League is prehaps the worst Soccer competition in the world and will simply not have the money to entice big name players, now or in the future.

I think your being pretty harsh on the a-league, time and again people who have come here with big international soccer creditbility have said they have been surprised by the level of the a-league and the skill of the players. They've likened it to the championship in england, mid-level dutch league belgian and french teams.

Will the a-league ever be as good as the EPL? hell no, but it is always more interesting to have a team in your own country or city that you can support over some team in a country which for most they have never visited. Its like saying if there were no AFL teams based in victoria and all the best talent went interstate and the VFL became a second teir competition, would you only watch the AFL? or would you watch some AFL and watch/goto VFL matches?

Oh and I don't care if people call soccer, football or soccer or association football, its all the same thing.

Hoops said:
I honestly don't care what soccer lovers call their game, But with 7 now having a vested interest in Football, like SBS does with Soccer than they should refer to Aussie rules as Football or at the very least not refer to soccer as football (bloody Sydney-centric 7). look at all the major australian newspapers all except the ones that come out of Sydney refer to soccer as soccer.
I have no problem with media outlets referring to Football as Aussie Rules or Australian football (AFL is a league not a sport) because it avoids confusion, but to single out one code which is also the 3rd or 4th followed football code in the country and to refer to it as "football" makes no sense

And as for people saying FFA - FOOTBALL Federation of Australia what do you think the 'F' refres to in AFL - Australian FOOTBALL League, the Australian does not refer to the official name of the game as being "Austalian Football" but that it is the football Legue played in Australia just as VFL refers to the football league being played in Victoria. It's not a different sport called Victorian Football

Who cares what you think. The media of Australia has spoken:

Football:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/0,,,00.html
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/
http://www.abc.net.au/sport/
http://sports.ninemsn.com.au/
http://www.theworldgame.com.au/home/
http://seven.com.au/sport

bassmanx said:
Oceania was promised an automatic qualification place as a part of Sepp Blatter's FIFA election campaign.
It never happened, hence our move to Asia.
Truth be told Oceania never deserved it.
Blatter couldn't get it past FIFA because of the self interest of the other countries, particularly the South Americans, because someone would have to lose 0.5 of a place to give Oceania a gig - and as you say, it was a bit of a joke really, Oceania didn't deservce it.

I doubt that it had much to do with any perceived incompetence of the Australian management, that would have been an excuse rather than a reason. But, meh, now I'm just arguing for the sake of it. :p

In any case, moving Australia into Asia was probably the best result for FIFA - they get increased interest in the game in Australia, and a chance for Oceania to become a more even competition with another minnow getting a crack at the Big One.

The Kipster said:
Soccer will dominate pay tv once the afl transfers to Fox 3, eventually it will blanket coverage everything....and all us AFL supporters will be sucked up into a vortex of friggin off side rules and nancy boy soccer players..heaven help us all....

This is fantastic! Coach potatoes nationwide will discover that the remote control has an off switch. Once people see how ****ing boring Soccer is, every fatbastard wil suddenly want to take the pooch for a walk. The era of the obese Australian is over. Cellery rules!!

Foxtel is a waste of time without the football. Once that goes so does my subscription

Hoops said:
More Australians get their news from those media outlets if you take into account the local news service from nine, ten, seven and ABC plus the local radio stations that refer to soccer as just that.

Look at my links: 2,SBS,7,9,Fairfax and News.

Also, I hope you noted that they call the game AFL. Don't shoot the messenger, go and blame Andy. ;)

The A League starts pretty much when the AfL season is over so the two are not competing against each other at all. there is plenty of room for both codes and if the AfL think they are in trouble then they should start looking at creating professional leagues in other countries so oneday we could have an AFL would cup

Catnip said:
This is fantastic! Coach potatoes nationwide will discover that the remote control has an off switch. Once people see how ****ing boring Soccer is, every fatbastard wil suddenly want to take the pooch for a walk. The era of the obese Australian is over. Cellery rules!!

In 2003 I went to Spain and had the tremendous pleasure of seeing Barcelona twice in 4 days at Camp Nou, followed by seeing Real Madrid twice in 4 days at the Bernebeu. This culminated in seeing Zinedine Zidane score an incredible 20-yard volley right in front of us against Racing Santander. Easily one of the greatest sporting moments of my life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thecoastingcoaster said:
How gives a fat rats clacker whether they call it Football, it simply isn't called that in this country by the average person.
These media outlets are ass kissing Soccer, for whatever reason.

How would you know what the average person calls the world game? - you're friends are probably all AFL fans - plenty of my friends are fans of the world game, and they all refer to it as football.

mattwinter said:
How would you know what the average person calls the world game? - you're friends are probably all AFL fans - plenty of my friends are fans of the world game, and they all refer to it as football.
Good on them.

I have heaps of friends who like Soccer, some are from England and they all call it Soccer as not to be misunderstood by the average person.

It's not Football here, just accept it.

thecoastingcoaster said:
It's not Football here, just accept it.
Many people call it Football, and the Football Federation of Australia, a member of the International Federation of Football Associations and the Asian Football Federation, has had considerable success in getting the media to call it by that name.

The media, in turn, has fond it increasingly difficult to refer to the sport run by the Football Federation of Australia as "soccer".

Many people call it football. Get over it. :)

The Kipster said:
Soccer will dominate pay tv once the afl transfers to Fox 3, eventually it will blanket coverage everything....and all us AFL supporters will be sucked up into a vortex of friggin off side rules and nancy boy soccer players..heaven help us all....

What's wrong? Don't you have the brain compacity to follow the 2 best games in the world? Or are you one of those people who thinks that footy will die if soccer grows here?
You have nothing to worry about mate. Footy is alive and well and is in no danger. There's nothing wrong with having soccer become a force here. Australia is the sporting capital of the world and there's plenty of room here for ANY sport.

Excuse me but when has it been an crime to enjoy both codes ?
I read in Simon Hill's column (he's an world football commentator) that years of belittiling of soccer/football by AFL fans and commentators did put him off following AFL, but now he has seen the light and has decided to follow Carlton. Yay. He has good taste that lad, although he does follow Manchester City as well, which is disturbing :)

Partridge said:
In 2003 I went to Spain and had the tremendous pleasure of seeing Barcelona twice in 4 days at Camp Nou, followed by seeing Real Madrid twice in 4 days at the Bernebeu. This culminated in seeing Zinedine Zidane score an incredible 20-yard volley right in front of us against Racing Santander. Easily one of the greatest sporting moments of my life.

Sounds good, except you wont see 'action' of that calibre in the 0-League this season.

arrowman said:
Many people call it Football, and the Football Federation of Australia, a member of the International Federation of Football Associations and the Asian Football Federation, has had considerable success in getting the media to call it by that name.

The media, in turn, has fond it increasingly difficult to refer to the sport run by the Football Federation of Australia as "soccer".

Many people call it football. Get over it. :)

Yeah, that's why our mob are called the footballeroos LOL :)

Partridge said:

What do you expect being in Spain, blind on sangria.....Australia is not Spain....bad comparision Partridge....

The Kipster said:
Spiz, it is boring to watch for a start and thats why grand stands burn and ethnic people face off with flares, bottles, rocks and batons - there is nothing to watch so they riot.....as for my brain I would rather use the grey matter I've been born with to focus on things that stimulate it and not put it to sleep.....call me soccer phobic who gives a sh*t...I enjoy what we have now and don't want it eroded away by delusional ethnic street gangs that treat a game of soccer a chance to square off with a country they had a beef with 2 milleniums ago....

Plenty of grandstands burning and "ethnic" people facing off with flares, bottles, rocks and batons in the A-League last year. :rolleyes:

Remember to renew your membership to the Australian League of Rights.

Catnip said:
Yeah, that's why our mob are called the footballeroos LOL :)
Shrug, hangover from the old days. Recognised brand. Far less signficant than the other factors.

Besides, all the really cool marsupials were taken :)

Edit: No, wait...

Gilberts_P_m1119547.jpg

The Potoroos :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do You Realise How much soccer will be shown

Remove this Banner Ad

Back