News Dodd nominates for national draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant understand the hate for Dodd,he was a rookie who was upgraded and made the best of the talent he was given,he was a great teamman who bled purple and unfortunately injury and the game changing from one on one to the zone didnt suit his game style.
I for one was always impressed by his work ethic on the track and the way he never took a backward step and supported his team mates
I wish him well and if another club clubs decides he fits there needs I hope it works out well for him

Dodd was a horrible player and probably should have been delisted a couple of seasons ago, but you can't knock him for effort, he certainly wasn't soft, he never shirked any contests that I can remember, good luck in the draft I say. And let's hope he has a son who can play ;)

Dodd was a horrible player and probably should have been delisted a couple of seasons ago, but you can't knock him for effort, he certainly wasn't soft, he never shirked any contests that I can remember, good luck in the draft I say. And let's hope he has a son who can play ;)

I'm not sure you can say that about a player that's notched 100 AFL games had to have done something right. He was twice in our top 10 players for the year.

There are plenty who never make it onto a list let alone 1 AFL game.

I blame him for my hair loss, but gee, I'm surprised by all the hate towards him. OK, mediocre player he is, but I do appreciate his endeavor and he got the most out of his limited talent. Good luck Stompy.

I'm not sure you can say that about a player that's notched 100 AFL games had to have done something right. He was twice in our top 10 players for the year.

There are plenty who never make it onto a list let alone 1 AFL game.

Fair call, 101 games Is a good effort. 101 more games than me anyhow

Cant understand the hate for Dodd,he was a rookie who was upgraded and made the best of the talent he was given,he was a great teamman who bled purple and unfortunately injury and the game changing from one on one to the zone didnt suit his game style.
I for one was always impressed by his work ethic on the track and the way he never took a backward step and supported his team mates
I wish him well and if another club clubs decides he fits there needs I hope it works out well for him

+++1

Cant understand the hate for Dodd,
... and you have been on BF for two years ... have you been asleep Salim? ;)

I've been arounf BF for 5 years and have seen many decent solid AFL players get trashed.

And I've been around long enough to see players like Gilmore, Murphy, Dunn and a host of other duds lauded as the second coming of Jesus until they actually played some games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those players that make you pull your hair out at times. When he was good he was good, but every so often he'd have a brain cramp - some piece of poor decision making or elementary skill error that would hurt the team. Sure he tried hard and had a good work ethic etc, but gee, some days I was wishing evil on him.

.... I was a Gilmore fan. :(

Me too, Nickos. I still fondly recall his 2007 season when he threatened to turn the art of ruckwork on its head. I don't care what anyone says, he was freakin' dynamite back then.

A pox on the Dodd haters. He was a vital cog in the Fremantle machine for quite a few years and he always had the very underrated ability to sneak a fist into any contest plus the intestinal fortitude to squeeze every last drop of potential from himself. I remember when Stompy was just a fresh faced youngster stepping up to the toughest tagging roles in the competition and never giving an inch to his highly touted opponents. He must've been a real bastard to play on because I always looked forward to reading the tribunal's Monday report and seeing "Player X reported for striking S Dodd of Fremantle." I swear it must've happened a dozen times in his first season.

This :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

where have you been in last five yrs?

Obviously on another planet, missed the cleanout in 2008 & 2009

The players we delisted/retired during that time for the most part had something that established them as AFL quality players. Cooky was a dead set plugger, but he offered something exceptional. Dodd on his most sublime day, could at most offer the average. (Not going to count the extroadinairily epic-esque clangers, as lord knows that's not a fair call).

I would bet my left, right and imaginary phantom middle bollock, that you could not name a player on our list during that time, who had less talent than Dodd. Don't get me wrong, I love the honest players who give their soul, infact they're my favourite type (<3 Cooky, I still dream about you several times a week mate,) but this guy was a mentally deformed skill less snapper. When watching away games, you could ****ing see how he was going to screw it up before he was even involved in the play.

Gilmore, Head et all were all better players. They could at the very least hit the target close to half of the time. The only problem is, the role they played in the team faced far more competition, and from better players.

Dodd was only good at occasionally being an average negator. We have had 0 players who have that abilit, generally our defenders ahve been fairly offensive.

I suppose I could be wrong though, as Dodd was so good at playing a defensive role, that he negated his own positive impact on our matches.

Yeah, not a hugely serious post as I've had just under a handfull of froffies, but still. Terrible player, glad he's out of it. Still, good luck in the draft to him aswell.

Gilmore, Head et all were all better players. They could at the very least hit the target close to half of the time. The only problem is, the role they played in the team faced far more competition, and from better players.

Dodd was ordinary but that's just a bunch of crap...in the nicest possible way :)

Haters gonna hate. Go Doddy.. get yourself another team.:p

U iz da man!

I agree completey. He was always getting delisted as he was a utility unrequired. They played him to get 100 games. He DID make our top 10 best and fairest 2009 which may be not any huge feat but he still achieved that.

So settle down people for any club that need a tagger that can spoil he may have a benefit to them. For a team pushing top 4 definately not.

Dodd was ordinary but that's just a bunch of crap...in the nicest possible way :)

How so?

The core of our backline were players like Duff, MJ, Roger and Mundy, all of which offer more offensively than defensively. Gilmore and Head were competing against those sort of players, as they more or less played the same role. After Grover and McPharlin, we really didn't have much else on offer as far as negative defenders go, therefore if we needed someone to stay on their man, Dodd got the gig via default. Sort of like when the only thing left in the beer fridge is Mid strength. Gilmore and Head were also far better users of the ball.

I still think it's a fair call.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dodd nominates for national draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back