Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Another decent game last night. Seems the players and the clubs love it.

Yeah only missed out on about 10,000 fans minimum last night. Sydney is the single worst idea to schedule a Thursday night game. We got 41,000 to the Port game last season...

Yeah only missed out on about 10,000 fans minimum last night. Sydney is the single worst idea to schedule a Thursday night game. We got 41,000 to the Port game last season...

Bingo. Schedule it in the smaller cities (Adelaide, Perth, Gold Coast and Geelong) and this fixture will go gangbusters, but in the larger areas like Melbourne and Sydney it just won't work because of how long it will take for the punters to get home.

Bingo. Schedule it in the smaller cities (Adelaide, Perth, Gold Coast and Geelong) and this fixture will go gangbusters, but in the larger areas like Melbourne and Sydney it just won't work because of how long it will take for the punters to get home.

Well and get there. I can tell you it took me over 90minutes to get to the ground yesterday. Now would I do it again, probably. However many others wouldn't. It is a horrendous timeslot for Sydney and for that matter Melbourne.

Well and get there. I can tell you it took me over 90minutes to get to the ground yesterday. Now would I do it again, probably. However many others wouldn't. It is a horrendous timeslot for Sydney and for that matter Melbourne.

Yeah. I had probably seen more of an issue with getting there on the western seaboard because of the early start times (last weeks was 6:30 local time I think?), but I'm sure the AFL will learn from these sorts of things.

McLachlan's team has at least identified it as a timeslot that can work if done properly. I liked a suggestion of a poster on the previous page where we alternate between double headers on Fridays and Thursday night footy to eliminate 5 day breaks. Logistically its tough, but it might allow us to move away from 3 Saturday arvo matches where that twilight fixture gets lost in the wash...

Yeah. I had probably seen more of an issue with getting there on the western seaboard because of the early start times (last weeks was 6:30 local time I think?), but I'm sure the AFL will learn from these sorts of things.

McLachlan's team has at least identified it as a timeslot that can work if done properly. I liked a suggestion of a poster on the previous page where we alternate between double headers on Fridays and Thursday night footy to eliminate 5 day breaks. Logistically its tough, but it might allow us to move away from 3 Saturday arvo matches where that twilight fixture gets lost in the wash...

Hate the idea of double headers as personally I know me. On a Friday night I am spent at 11pm, it is my long day at work. I actually don't mind Thursdays but it has to be in venues that can support it, and not Melbourne or Sydney where you shut out 10-20,000 fans. The other day I would have liked to see investigated a bit more Sunday night. Have an early game, twilight, then night game.

nah, that Saturday twilight is great - works very well on the Gold Coast. we can have that every second week (all home games) as far as I am concerned!

Doesn't work in Perth either because of time differences. Has to start to early, making it a chore for local fans to get there in much the same way as Melbourne and Sydney. Hate it anyway, nothing wrong with playing football from Friday to Sunday, makes for a nice packed weekend of action.

Doesn't work in Perth either because of time differences. Has to start to early, making it a chore for local fans to get there in much the same way as Melbourne and Sydney. Hate it anyway, nothing wrong with playing football from Friday to Sunday, makes for a nice packed weekend of action.

There's nothing to say it doesn't work in Perth, it's been played the last 4 years and the lowest crowd they got was 34k. It should be a 6:40 start at the earliest though, however it's usually a cracking atmosphere and they've all been close games, nice to see a bit of activity in town on a weeknight too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's nothing to say it doesn't work in Perth, it's been played the last 4 years and the lowest crowd they got was 34k. It should be a 6:40 start at the earliest though, however it's usually a cracking atmosphere and they've all been close games, nice to see a bit of activity in town on a weeknight too.
It should start at 6.40pm, but it doesn't, because of time differences. So people have to leave work early, fight peak hour traffic, etc to try and get there for 6.10pm, so Victorians don't have to go to bed late. It works, in the sense that people will always go to the footy, but I think each game would draw more on a Friday or Saturday night than on a Thursday night.

I initially hated it as a person who preferred traditional time slots and hated sunday night footy, but it seems to have grown on me. Although i must say it puts me off my week making me think it's friday.

However i'm not sure wether it can sustain itself. Thursday night footy seems like a gift, make it a regular thing and it might loose some of it's appeal. Games would probably need to start around about 7:00 for fans attending, as people need to get up the next day

If it rids us of the twilight Sunday timeslot then go for it, no game should commence in Melbourne after 2.10pm on a Sunday. I hate those 3.30 and 4.40pm starts at Etihad. Bounce it down at 1.10 or 2.10pm FFS!

Its good for something to watch but it stretches the round out too much. Fixturing becomes uneven and it can completely ruin tipping or fantasy football.

Should be 8 Thursday night games a season, two for each of the Adelaide teams, the rest distributed between the other states
Some Friday night double headers would be good for the remaining rounds, one victorian game and one non-victorian game.
Saturday Afternoon games should be mostly victorian games.
Saturday Twilight should be a slot for NSW/QLD games
Saturday Night, as is
And one early and one mid-afternoon Sunday game (2:30 not 3:20, though I know 7 want the football to run into their shitty news)
A third Sunday Twilight game should be only used for Perth games.

I was going to suggest a daily thing, but on considering it I think your idea has more merit.
Going off topic here. Try watching the NBA. 30 teams and playing 82 games in 6-7 months. on average 4-6 games are played daily, even on 9pm on a tuesday night. Then you got the finals/ play off system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back