Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I WOULD be looking forward to it tonight, if I didnt have to go to my Wife's sister birthday dinner tonight. Boooooo.

Going to have to set the bread basket up in a good position to hide my AFL Live app watching ;)

works well in smaller cities , that are easy to get home from on a school night

thursday night could be good for adelaide , perth and geelong leaving melbourne to host the friday night game !!

works well in smaller cities , that are easy to get home from on a school night

thursday night could be good for adelaide , perth and geelong leaving melbourne to host the friday night game !!

It works in smaller cities as the fans only have 11 games a year (12 if they plan ahead) so don't look for excuses to not go. Melbourne people have up to 17 games a year plus a ton of neutral games.

Find it slightly intrusive, but not too bad as long as my club's not playing.

If Thursday nights are deemed "successful", reckon they'll have another crack at Mondays and progress down the road to a seven day merry-go-round. I can remember some suited schmuck claiming we'd love Monday night footy because Americans do.

7 day merry go round with everyone having a mix of 5 and 6 day breaks may finally allow us to get a draw where everyone plays each other twice. Clubs would need to manage players, but this is fair as all clubs doing so. Name your team 24 hours before the game.
Supercoach etc would need to have rolling lockouts (can't trade a player out from time of game to a period after game) or something.

If TNF was to become a weekly occurance how would it work? If both teams play on the previous Saturday that's only a 5 day break and if they played on the Friday there would need to be at least 2 FNF games per week. Nice idea and good for TV viewers but don't think it will work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If TNF was to become a weekly occurance how would it work? If both teams play on the previous Saturday that's only a 5 day break and if they played on the Friday there would need to be at least 2 FNF games per week. Nice idea and good for TV viewers but don't think it will work.

If 5 day breaks become 'normal' there won't be as much complaining, if both sides play on the previous Saturday it's not an issue imo.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but last week's game in Adelaide rated very well on TV. Tonight we had Perth, next week Sydney and then back to Adelaide. Four consecutive weeks. This is a trial and even if it does not become a permanent weekly fixture expect more games next year. Thursday night it is up against shows like Masterchef and generates much more income than say, Saturday afternoon because it is a work night and there are many more people at home watching TV. It's all about growing the AFL's revenue with the next broadcasting deal. It will most likely happen and there is talk about about channels 9 and 10 making offers for a piece of the pie but for specific nights only.

1. There's no way it should be weekly. 8 has to be the absolute maximum number. It detracts from Friday night footy if held too regularly
2. 5 day breaks aren't so bad if both teams are on them. Teams should be clever and rest out some players with lesser minutes in the state leagues and the sub etc to keep run in the legs
3. Double Friday night games would be an option for some weeks that don't involve Thurday night games. A 2nd late Friday night game would be a good idea in WA
4. 1st game of the year, Easter Thursday, ANZAC eve (some years) and the bye rounds provide opportunity to get Thursday nights in without short breaks

There's enough opportunities to get them in if the league isn't greedy. And several clubs will put their hands up for a short break if it means prime time exposure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back