Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Shocking night for football. If Sunday night doesn't work for the kids then Thursday night is even more ridiculously stupid. I don't know what travel arrangements and distances are like in Melbourne, but I live on the edge of Sydney and getting to the SCG is a pain at the best of times but getting home after a night game? Not even worth bothering about thinking about it.

Here's 8 reasons why W2L doesn't like Thursday football:

* Less time to get my supercoaching team right, now with rolling lockouts i've got to spend more time keeping up to date with this shit, no thanks.
* Thursday nights i have better things to do
* don't really feel like going out to footy on thursday, **** that, if i go football matches i want to drink 20 beers otherwise i get bored. that makes friday hard.

ok that's 3, close enough.

So 35,401 people showed up for a Thursday night fixture in Perth that started at 6:10pm! I think it's fair to say Thursday night footy has been a success this year and should be implemented next year. Brisbane was the only game that didn't pull a large crowd but that's not surprising with the way they started the year. The Richmond v Carlton game was 62% full but would have been higher if it had been played in round 1. Every other game was at least 70% full.

20 March - Geelong v Adelaide @ Simonds Stadium
Crowd: 23,622 (70% full|33,500 capacity)

27 March - Richmond v Carlton @ MCG
Crowd: 62,037 (62% full|100,024 capacity)

17 April - Brisbane v Richmond @ The Gabba
Crowd: 20,676 (49% full|42,000 capacity)

15 May - Adelaide v Collingwood @ Adelaide Oval
Crowd: 50,051 (93% full|53,583 capacity)

29 May - Sydney v Geelong @ SCG
Crowd: 37,355 (77% full|48,000 capacity)

31 July - Fremantle v Carlton @ Patersons Stadium
Crowd: 35,401 (81%|43,500 capacity)

As someone who was at the game tonight I say f*** it off. If you want it then have it in Melbourne when you can start it at a decent time. Friday nights are a prick fighting peak hour on the roads and public transport with bounce down at 6:40 let alone 6:10 on a Thursday. Not to mention people are still at work or just finishing. The only reason there were so many tonight is that Carlton have a large fan base in Perth and if we played Melbourne for instance, then we probably would have struggled to break 30k.

As someone who was at the game tonight I say f*** it off. If you want it then have it in Melbourne when you can start it at a decent time. Friday nights are a prick fighting peak hour on the roads and public transport with bounce down at 6:40 let alone 6:10 on a Thursday. Not to mention people are still at work or just finishing. The only reason there were so many tonight is that Carlton have a large fan base in Perth and if we played Melbourne for instance, then we probably would have struggled to break 30k.
They would only play two Thursday night games a year in Perth (at most) so it's not like a 6:10pm start would happen every week. The rest of Australia should get a 7:10pm time slot which is a good happy medium. Just think about it this way, you would only have to do it once a season as a non-Victorian supporter of a club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Due to time zones and constraints, think that Thursday night footy should be an eastern states thing. Easily the best of the experimental time slots, but is a bit iffy in Perth I think. Would be fairly much impossible for someone living and working in the outer suburbs to get to the game by 6:10, never mind someone out in the country who has to return home for work the next day.

I loved it, would love to see more of it, although a 6:40pm start at the earliest is a must, they play Friday Night games at this time, what makes Thursdays any different?

I loved it, would love to see more of it, although a 6:40pm start at the earliest is a must, they play Friday Night games at this time, what makes Thursdays any different?

Yeah, the later the better - gives everyone a chance to get home and get ready then go the game. Saw quite a few people rock up in suits and business gear who weren't corporates.

Still, I thought we got a pretty decent turnout :thumbsu: Was a pretty wicked atmosphere in the last 5 minutes

Somewhat, considering the mad rush that it took to get to the game I don't usually associate with going to the game... it was fun but I wouldn't want it too often. It'd be nice to be later, but I do understand that certain eastern state watchers throw empathy out the window and would prefer times catered to them.

Note: I use the Mandurah line, so the great efficiency in which this particular train line caters to the football may skew my perception.

All for it in Perth!

as someone who was at the Swan vs Geelong game........ needs a later start, once you factor in traffic this like friday night games at the SCG is adult night you just don't see many kids at the game. (FFS SAKE GIVE US MORE Satd'y arvos) also getting to the game by 7:10? thats just ****ed i missed the first 25 minutes of the game and there was still a mountain of people waiting for buses when mine left.

the place looked very sparse until midway through the second qtr. onto of that the crowd was big because A thursdays a novelty B it was geelong we weren't supposed to thump them. if we were facing the saints you would have had 26K.

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back