Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Thursday Night footy?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Can they please stop copying the NFL FFS…..

Let it go. You are not them. Roger Goodell will not give a shit.

Stop.. Just stop….

GO Catters

Thursday Night Football isn't really that popular in the States, but you got enough population/punters in the US to still make it work on paper.

Last night just didn't feel right, it was a close game, but something wasn't right about it all. It won't matter though as 'Gilligan' likes Thursdays.... so we're stuck with it. As long as he scraps Sunday twilight and night games, schedule more Saturday afternoon matches then i reckon we can take on board a lacklustre Thursday night game to get the round rolling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As someone who was at the game tonight I say f*** it off. If you want it then have it in Melbourne when you can start it at a decent time. Friday nights are a prick fighting peak hour on the roads and public transport with bounce down at 6:40 let alone 6:10 on a Thursday. Not to mention people are still at work or just finishing. The only reason there were so many tonight is that Carlton have a large fan base in Perth and if we played Melbourne for instance, then we probably would have struggled to break 30k.

6.10 is too early but 6.40 is reasonable.

May if we hadn't "fixed our roads" by turning two lane roads into one lane like we have throughout the city, cambridge and exits on the freeway. I know they want to get us out of cars but what is the point of a road if not for cars. What is the point of opening up land in places like Aubin Grove, which by its nature relies on cars, if planners don't want cars on the road?

I don't mind it, but I think the less matches of it the better. It doesn't work for just any old home and away match.
Richmond v Carlton season opener or first game at the 'G and then a couple of public holiday matches. Keep it to maybe 2-3 games a season but don't think it works as a regular fixture.

Thursday night footy is crap.
old_man_cloud.jpg

I want to love it. If the Dogs were playing, I'd be there with bells on. Far easier to coast thru a Friday at work after a night at the footy than is the case on a Monday after a bullshit Sunday twilight game.

Having said that - I didn't watch last night, the mrs will put up with footy on the box all weekend, extending that out to Thursday night is a big ask.

Could have gone to another room or to bed and watched on Foxtel Go - but didn't mean enough to bother.

So 35,401 people showed up for a Thursday night fixture in Perth that started at 6:10pm! I think it's fair to say Thursday night footy has been a success this year and should be implemented next year. Brisbane was the only game that didn't pull a large crowd but that's not surprising with the way they started the year. The Richmond v Carlton game was 62% full but would have been higher if it had been played in round 1. Every other game was at least 70% full.

20 March - Geelong v Adelaide @ Simonds Stadium
Crowd: 23,622 (70% full|33,500 capacity)

27 March - Richmond v Carlton @ MCG
Crowd: 62,037 (62% full|100,024 capacity)

17 April - Brisbane v Richmond @ The Gabba
Crowd: 20,676 (49% full|42,000 capacity)

15 May - Adelaide v Collingwood @ Adelaide Oval
Crowd: 50,051 (93% full|53,583 capacity)

29 May - Sydney v Geelong @ SCG
Crowd: 37,355 (77% full|48,000 capacity)

31 July - Fremantle v Carlton @ Patersons Stadium
Crowd: 35,401 (81%|43,500 capacity)
The Brisbane crowd is surprisingly good for any game, let alone on a Thursday night. I'm a big fan of the Thursday night timeslot and would definitely attend one should the Suns play one next year. I love an early dose of footy on TV too!

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Thursday Night Football Work?

Back