Prediction Does Voss get the sack if Carlton miss finals in 2023?

Does Voss get the sack if the Blues miss finals in 2023?

• Yes

Votes: 254 58.0%
  • No

Votes: 184 42.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And it's no surprise our recent resurgence coincides with the likes of Mannagh, Humphries and Dempsey, three players who do exactly what you have described above.
I actually think it is something Chris Scott took a long time to come around too. I'm not sure he plays a player like Miers in his early coaching days.

I actually think it is something Chris Scott took a long time to come around too. I'm not sure he plays a player like Miers in his early coaching days.

He was fixed in his ways and played a lot of senior players until they literally had no more to give.

Having said that, the club did try and get Gaff about 7 years ago and thought Cockatoo would work out. Smedts was another player who turned out to be a bust but was an outside pressure type.

Ultimately, game evolves one year to the next and it just seems like what worked for Carlton last year is what Voss has implemented again. Teams work you out very quickly.

He was fixed in his ways and played a lot of senior players until they literally had no more to give.

Having said that, the club did try and get Gaff about 7 years ago and thought Cockatoo would work out. Smedts was another player who turned out to be a bust but was an outside pressure type.

Ultimately, game evolves one year to the next and it just seems like what worked for Carlton last year is what Voss has implemented again. Teams work you out very quickly.
I think Carlton aren’t much different to last year, just a few more injuries and not many gains. Their best players are in their prime so can’t get that much better. Not a lot of youth coming through that is genuinely exciting.

Their two finals last year probably flattered them by only just winning when their opposition sprayed it terribly. Lucky twice when not winning a final might have lit a bigger fire this year.

Carlton are squandering one of the best cores you could imagine. It is actually hard to screw it up as bad as they are.

One of the best cores you could imagine?

Err, no.

Curnow and McKay are good players, no doubt. They are hardly Franklin though.

Cripps is a star of the comp, Walsh is a gun player with some obvious limitations, but it’s hardly Judd, Kerr and Cousins is it?

Weitering has never been AA. He’s not Scarlett, McGovern or Rance though is he?

There’s a fair difference between Carlton’s core and Ablett, Scarlett, Bartel, Selwood, Johnson, Chapman, Kelly, Taylor or Franklin, Mitchell, Hodge, Lake, Lewis, Cyril, Burgoyne went alright also.

The result today had absolutely nothing to do with luck. We were getting emphatically outplayed, outworked, and outcoached before the injuries happened.
You've been one of the only Carlton supporters on the main board to simply call it how it is.

Injuries meant that Hawthorn could turn yesterday's game a thrashing without getting out of second gear but they were warming up for an 8+ goal win anyway - maybe they would've had to break out a sweat, that's all.

The issues over the past 6 weeks - where the Blues have gone 1-5 and lost 11% - were not down to a crucial injury collapse. A crucial injury collapse started in the 2nd quarter yesterday when it was apparent their bench would be depleted - then Curnow and Saad got hurt on top of that.

To beat us, you basically just need to avoid being obliterated around the contest. Eventually, our lack of run will expose inept skills and decision-making, meaning that we’re an easy kill for any half decent team.

Once fitness/injury (attitude?) issues voided our ability to dominate the contest, we’ve looked like a bottom four side.

Voss and the coaching group is a definite issue to be addressed, but any coach would find it hard to overcome the above.

To beat us, you basically just need to avoid being obliterated around the contest. Eventually, our lack of run will expose inept skills and decision-making, meaning that we’re an easy kill for any half decent team.

Once fitness/injury (attitude?) issues voided our ability to dominate the contest, we’ve looked like a bottom four side.

Voss and the coaching group is a definite issue to be addressed, but any coach would find it hard to overcome the above.
Is that lack of run a missing player type issue or is it more fitness and conditioning across the entire planet group?

You've been one of the only Carlton supporters on the main board to simply call it how it is.

Injuries meant that Hawthorn could turn yesterday's game a thrashing without getting out of second gear but they were warming up for an 8+ goal win anyway - maybe they would've had to break out a sweat, that's all.

The issues over the past 6 weeks - where the Blues have gone 1-5 and lost 11% - were not down to a crucial injury collapse. A crucial injury collapse started in the 2nd quarter yesterday when it was apparent their bench would be depleted - then Curnow and Saad got hurt on top of that.
100%

They would've ran over the top of us even if we had our full team play out the entire game.

I think the biggest issue for us over the past 6 weeks has been the mentality of the players and coaches.

100%

They would've ran over the top of us even if we had our full team play out the entire game.

I think the biggest issue for us over the past 6 weeks has been the mentality of the players and coaches.
I think best case scenario is we might have lost by 5 goals. The injuries meant there was little to no chance of limiting the damage though.

Still, comprehensively outplayed regardless. In a way though, the actual result was probably something that needed to happen. Every single issue we have was laid to bare and given sunlight (exposure). Lack of run, skills, bad injury/conditioning management etc.

No papering over cracks yesterday and hopefully more wholesale changes happen over the off season. With Brian Cook in charge you would think so.

Can't really blame the guy when their injury list is 2nd worst in the AFL. Richmond is 1. Collingwood is 3. All reflective of ladder positions. You would never get a team with half their best 22 out week to week finishing top 4. To get them even to 9th or 10th is not that bad. If a team has a bad injury year they usually sort it out the next.
The injury stuff is overblown to be honest ie. injury list wasn't that bad when things started going south a month ago, yep TDK a huge loss but apart from him it wasn't critical personnel who were out.

Its mental, they can't cope with pressure/expectation. 2022, well we all remember how that season ended after being in the 8 all year. Only started playing footy last year when everyone had written us off, then this year as soon as we are 2nd with everyone pumping us up as a legit contender they shit the bed almost instantly. Timings are too suspicious to ignore imo.

Sacking Voss ain't gonna help.

Get him some help with the tactical side of it this off season and back him in.

Trade or delist the injury prone players. Recruit some decent small forwards and flanker types, maybe an intercept defender.
Have a good preseason and go again next year. It's not that dire. A lot can change in a preseason.

Trade or delist the injury prone players. Recruit some decent small forwards and flanker types, maybe an intercept defender.
Have a good preseason and go again next year. It's not that dire. A lot can change in a preseason.
If they offer Jack Martin another contract I'll spew up! Handy player but surely apparent now he'll just never be able to get on the park with any meaningful consistency, would rather a project player have his spot on the list at this stage. A watch on Cerra next year for the same reason too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much spot on. I would be targeting a mature key defender to partner Weitering as the #1 priority though.

Voss isn’t getting sacked even if Blues don’t make finals this year.

Progression isn’t always linear.

Tigers made finals in 2015 then 13th then premiers

Geelong went flag 22, 12th 2023 and are top 4 now.

Sydney made a GF in 2022, sort of meh in 2023 and are currently top of the ladder.

Pies went GF and prelims pre 2021 then 17th and flag last year.

Dips just happen mainly due to injuries.

100%. Small forwards and flankers (and wingers) are not that hard to get. Blues desperately need pace and a game plan to use it. They have everything else that can feed to that and off that.

I’m not 100% convinced on Voss but he could work with the right strategy assistant. Voss can lead
Pretty much spot on. I would be targeting a mature key defender to partner Weitering as the #1 priority though.
Carlton just need someone to do a job there - they don’t need to overpay. The priority has to be run and speed.

Looking back, losing TDK was devastating - the bloke was single-handedly dragging them over the line at his best

Need to find a way to protect him when they come up against monsters like Xerri next season
RFC lost the greatest FB of the century,the greatest footballer of the past 28 years,Franklin never got a kick on him n yet we managed to win 2 Grand finals w/o him available,Carlton need to stop making excuses,simply not as good as they thought they were,nowhere near it n they'll lose this week as well just to prove how mistaken most have been

Good ones are. Look at whats happened this year with our apparent approach of just get as many mediocre small forwards in as we can and see what happens.

Think our small forwards will be ok if we fixed our fwd entries and created some unpredictability.

Their list is the problem not Voss. Need a proper defender to help Weitering and AFL standard smalls up forward. Some pace in the midfield wouldn't go astray either.

I don't want to sack Voss but the coaching is a huge issue right now vs. our list problems.

Key defender to help Weitering would be nice but our back 6 isn't as exposed when our team defence holds up - Pies won with Frampton last year due to their overall setup of team defending being elite. I don't mind the chat about picking up Nick Haynes.

Agree on the mid, Walsh definitely wasn't slow in his first few years & I thought his speed would improve along with everything else, but it's gone backwards... as with everything else in his game. No idea who's available, mids grow on trees but speedy & skillful ones don't.

Think our small forwards will be ok if we fixed our fwd entries and created some unpredictability.

I don't want to sack Voss but the coaching is a huge issue right now vs. our list problems.

Key defender to help Weitering would be nice but our back 6 isn't as exposed when our team defence holds up - Pies won with Frampton last year due to their overall setup of team defending being elite. I don't mind the chat about picking up Nick Haynes.

Agree on the mid, Walsh definitely wasn't slow in his first few years & I thought his speed would improve along with everything else, but it's gone backwards... as with everything else in his game. No idea who's available, mids grow on trees but speedy & skillful ones don't.

The Pies had a much much better list than Carlton last year. Much more balanced and much more talent deeper into the 23. Carlton is extremely top heavy with its talent and then it cliffs very quickly. In comparison to the Pies, Carlton only has better tall forward stocks. Pies had a much better defence, midfield, small forwards, flankers and wings.

The Pies had a much much better list than Carlton last year. Much more balanced and much more talent deeper into the 23. Carlton is extremely top heavy with its talent and then it cliffs very quickly. In comparison to the Pies, Carlton only has better tall forward stocks. Pies had a much better defence, midfield, small forwards, flankers and wings.

Is that why they're finishing 10th this year with essentially the same list?

Is that why they're finishing 10th this year with essentially the same list?

Look at the age profile of their list. They squeezed the remaining year or so out of the talented guys they had is the answer. But that talent overall was more balanced and evenly spread than what Carlton has built.

Voss isn’t getting sacked even if Blues don’t make finals this year.

Progression isn’t always linear.

Tigers made finals in 2015 then 13th then premiers

Geelong went flag 22, 12th 2023 and are top 4 now.

Sydney made a GF in 2022, sort of meh in 2023 and are currently top of the ladder.

Pies went GF and prelims pre 2021 then 17th and flag last year.

Dips just happen mainly due to injuries.
Yep.

2024 is merely a 'dip' for Carlton...

RFC lost the greatest FB of the century,the greatest footballer of the past 28 years,Franklin never got a kick on him n yet we managed to win 2 Grand finals w/o him available,Carlton need to stop making excuses,simply not as good as they thought they were,nowhere near it n they'll lose this week as well just to prove how mistaken most have been
I'm sorry, Scarlett played for Geelong, not Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Does Voss get the sack if Carlton miss finals in 2023?

Back