Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Freijah is far too good for VFL and seems a bit quicker and a better kick than Coff.
On team balance I think we could get a little more drive by swapping Freijah and Coffield and lose nothing in the air, and gain a little on ground ball.
That’s what i think will happen. Getting games into Coff in case he’s needed in a finals tilt. We know what Smokin Joel can do and he’ll be back in soon

The players that will determine how far we go. From last nights team:

Bont
ADZ
Libba
Red
Tim
JUH
Astro
Cody
Sam
Lobb
Jones
Dale

Nearly on the list
Rylee
Williams
Bramble

Role Players

VDM
McNeill
Gracia
Duryea
Coffield
Poulter
Buku
Caleb

Some of the role players could be replaced by Freijah, Sanders, Jacko, Keath, Gallagher, Baker, Cleary JOD, Harmes and it would not make a lot of difference. Obviously Freijah and Sanders have the biggest upside and Harmes would be in if fit.

Last edited:
The year is 2024.

Premier centre half back of the competition Rory Lobb does the kickout for the bulldogs.

It's a wobbly 65-70 metre torp to the side of the centre square.

The ball gets fed out to Treloar who kicks a perfect quick pass 40m that lands on Caleb Poulter's tit.

Poulter then decides to have a ping at the goals with a 50 metre slider. The ball floats to the right and then bounces like a 3m leg break to go through the goals, eluding 2 Melbourne defenders.

Footy is a weird game sometimes.
Poulters goal was echoes of T.Boyd in the GF

The players that will determine how far we go. From last nights team:

Bont
ADZ
Libba
Red
Tim
JUH
Astro
Cody
Sam
Lobb
Jones
Dale

Nearly on the list
Rylee
Williams
Bramble

Role Players

VDM
McNeill
Gracia
Duryea
Coffield
Poulter
Buku
Caleb

Some of the role players could be replaced by Freijah, Sanders, Jacko, Keath, Baker, Cleary JOD, Harmes and it would not make a lot of difference. Obviously Freijah and Sanders have the biggest upside and Harmes would be in if fit.
I’d add Rylee to that list. I still feel like the influence he’s having in our forward line is being under appreciated.

I think what gets people with vdm is when he fumbles it, overruns it or drops the mark when it does actually get to him.

That’s what people see and remember
The only place people will see perfection is watching No.4. The speed at which VDM operates does lend itself to mistakes. He makes plenty and yet he's a net positive in terms of impact and influence on team mates.

His contribution is not blindingly obvious but perhaps now, with Lewis' and Buck's comments, people might be inclined to at least explore and look more for what he does offer and why it's important to the blend and balance of the team rather than what he doesn't do/offer.

I think what gets people with vdm is when he fumbles it, overruns it or drops the mark when it does actually get to him.

That’s what people see and remember
I am with you on this. All those faults you mention do my head in. I applaud his running and (finally) may be understanding his role in the team but for the possessions he does get could he please, please, please not stuff it up most times. His pass to Naughton at the top of the goal square from the hff shows he can do it but for every one of them there is a “taking the worst option” or handballing to a team mates feet. He is contributing to our wins so he should stay in but it will be a frustrating ride for us fans.

Just to let you know my track record I didn’t see it when we recruited Duryea and I didn’t see it when we recruited Bramble. Full disclosure.

I’m not seeing it with Coffield. He loses his feet too much imo and doesn’t have great pace or a great kick. I’d like JOD in as soon as possible. Playing both Coffield and Khamis in the same defence is increasing the opportunity for things to go awry. Awry doesn’t get mentioned much in here but you do not want it in a premiership tilt.

Don’t worry Norm, I can clearly remember when we drafted Doc that I said what the hell do we want that diarrhoea guy from the Hawks for…he’s useless….😂
Im not worried, Im quite used to being wrong.

Some in here might even call it the defining trait of my bigfooty persona.

Speaking of Duryea.

The retention of him on the list has been another canny bit of list management by Sam 'Midas Touch' Power.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to let you know my track record I didn’t see it when we recruited Duryea and I didn’t see it when we recruited Bramble. Full disclosure.

I’m not seeing it with Coffield. He loses his feet too much imo and doesn’t have great pace or a great kick. I’d like JOD in as soon as possible. Playing both Coffield and Khamis in the same defence is increasing the opportunity for things to go awry. Awry doesn’t get mentioned much in here but you do not want it in a premiership tilt.
I think Coffield is pretty good depth but agree, I would prefer others in his spot.

Im not worried, Im quite used to being wrong.

Some in here might even call it the defining trait of my bigfooty persona.

Speaking of Duryea.

The retention of him on the list has been another canny bit of list management by Sam 'Midas Touch' Power.
It shows how much we don’t know….Dureya was so cooked last year in my opinion he was that sausage that fell down the back of the bbq and was forgotten about….turned it around

I’d actually say that I think Khamis and JOD together creates more chance of things going awry

He had led the comp in repeat sprints constantly and he's always praised by his teammates.
It's a shame that we tend to judge players by stats when at the top level we need more selfless players, not less.
Selflessness has been a real feature of our resurgence.
I'd go so far as to suggest it has been one of the main drivers of it.

I tend to agree with you re Coffield; just lacks a bit of pace and not very agile at ground level either. On the other hand, he hasn't been a liability at all and I keep reminding myself that the guy hasn't played a lot of football in recent seasons due to injuries. I think there's a watch on his role in the team but for now he has a few credits in the bank.

If it’s a choice between Coffield or Khamis , it’s Buku for me.
For me, if it's a choice between Coffield and Khamis I'd go ... Freijah.

However I think it's horses for courses.

If we want experience, solid physique and one-on-one it's Coffield.
If we want aerial skill and intercept marks it's Khamis.

I am still concerned about Khamis' ground ball game. He's good at positioning himself to intercept or rebound. He can be great at intercept marking. However I never feel confident when he's involved in a contest for the loose ball. And that includes his instincts with what to do if he gets to the ball first.

Coffield has looked a bit suspect and fumbly at times but I have not watched him over his career so I'm not willing to say where his ceiling is. He could be going through a down patch for all I know, and he might blossom once he has settled into the squad and regained some confidence.

In the longer term, maybe as soon as next year, I think Freijah will go past both of them. However there's no guarantee they'll be competing for the same spot by then. Freijah could be on a wing.

Oliver is cooked. Looks slow and fat.
Genuinely cannot understand how they can get that way. They train multiple times a week, plus fitness and weight training. And they have access to nutritionists and other sports scientists. Even if you didn’t eat well the sheer amount of exercise they do should result in them being lean and fit. Just wait to see the state of Stringer and Oliver in 10 yrs once they ease up on playing or have stopped altogether…

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Dogs 110 thrash Demons 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Back