Autopsy Dogs 82 beat Carlton 62. The Lewis Young Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's ok to be a slow burning prospect, but 10 cheap sideways back half disposals going at 50% doesn't scream superstar to me. I don't even see his ceiling as a superstar.

Very few carlton players had less impact than weitering today.
Today was one game. Weitering's kicking skills are undoubtedly some of the best at Carlton, whether or not he showed it today. He's also athletic with superb endurance, as well as top-notch intercept marking and defending skills. People are very slow to realise that he is a genuine KPP prospect, playing in just his second year, when for half the year he's been played out of position. He's, at worst, been solid from the get-go, and as a KPP will improve at a far greater rate than other players from his draft pool as he gains more experience.

I also should have written that he will be a bonafide superstar, I didn't mean to insinuate that he already is at that level.

Last edited:
I hope we don't make the finals if our form stays as is. I think it would be better to just miss out on finals, playing kids, than to make it on our current form. And then get smashed in a big final that could haunt their confidence for future finals. Bob and Boyd to have farewells sooner rather than later.

If he'd learn how to kick goals he would be a superstar. Until then he's just solid.
Wow. "Just solid" seems pretty damning for a lack of proficiency in just one aspect of his game. Port supporters would probably consider Matthew Broadbent "just solid" for their team. Macrae offers a world of positive attributes for the Dogs as an inside and outside mid, and yes it's disappointing that he rotates forward and still offers little scoreboard impact, but it's not the be all and end all of a player. It will improve with time.

Yeah not sure Jacob Weitering is the one you want to attack. He's a bonafide superstar. Didn't see much of how he played today but he is a serious prospect.

Although, to be fair, his form this year hasn't quite set the world on fire.

He was poor today. I've seen him play great games against talls, but he looked out of place against our smaller players. You'd expect players like Hunter and McLean to beat him at a ground ball, but they were consistently working him under the ball and bringing it down in spots he should be marking or killing it

Today was one game. Weitering's kicking skills are undoubtedly some of the best at Carlton, whether or not he showed it today. He's also athletic with superb endurance, as well as top-notch intercept marking and defending skills. People are very slow to realise that he is a genuine KPP prospect, playing in just his second year, when for half the year he's been played out of position. He's, at worst, been solid from the get-go, and as a KPP will improve at a far greater rate than other players from his draft pool as he gains more experience.
Well it's not really one game. That's a fairly decent representation of his consistent output.

I've definitely gone early. I just don't see him having the athletic traits of a legit #1 forward or back.

Unless there's a steep uptick in his output, he should warrant more attention as a pretty poor choice for a #1 pick, given the avalanche of crap the others have suffered.

Was reading the game day thread for sh*ts and giggles. Some of you guys seriously need to HAGHLAY. Same guys every week ripping into our players and coaches. (2minutes into the game it's already tragic) Real heroes. Then waltz in here after a win and wax lyrical on the victory. I'm dead set sure many of them never go to a game, ( cos I sure can't be f****d typing when watching) yet all are experts.

I avoid it during the game but read it later. It's 80% putrid. The breeding ground of the "everyone's shit" brigade.

I hope we don't make the finals if our form stays as is. I think it would be better to just miss out on finals, playing kids, than to make it on our current form. And then get smashed in a big final that could haunt their confidence for future finals. Bob and Boyd to have farewells sooner rather than later.

But if we do make finals we would be in decent form We aren't going to win 4 or 5 more playing badly. And as we know. Once you get in ......

Well it's not really one game. That's a fairly decent representation of his consistent output.

I've definitely gone early. I just don't see him having the athletic traits of a legit #1 forward or back.

Unless there's a steep uptick in his output, he should warrant more attention as a pretty poor choice for a #1 pick, given the avalanche of crap the others have suffered.
Clearly, you and I have different interpretations of what 'solid at worst' output is from a 2nd year KPP, so I won't keep arguing the point. But I will mention that the "avalanche of crap" you talk about doesn't necessarily need to rain down of Weitering just because it's a ridiculous precedent set by footy fans on no. 1 picks. There's no need for him to warrant more bad press because there's no need for any of these slower-burning no. 1s to warrant the shitty attention they get.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clearly, you and I have different interpretations of what 'solid at worst' output is from a 2nd year KPP, so I won't keep arguing the point. But I will mention that the "avalanche of crap" you talk about doesn't necessarily need to rain down of Weitering just because it's a ridiculous precedent set by footy fans on no. 1 picks. There's no need for him to warrant more bad press because there's no need for any of these slower-burning no. 1s to warrant the shitty attention they get.

I agree with you on the media crap. I think it's completely horrid.

I was just making the point, that considering what the other #1s cop attention wise, he has flown completely under the radar as a comparison.

Consider Boyd, consider Mccartin. I don't think weitering deserves to cop shit, was just making the observation.

Was reading the game day thread for sh*ts and giggles. Some of you guys seriously need to HAGHLAY. Same guys every week ripping into our players and coaches. (2minutes into the game it's already tragic) Real heroes. Then waltz in here after a win and wax lyrical on the victory. I'm dead set sure many of them never go to a game, ( cos I sure can't be f****d typing when watching) yet all are experts.

Name 'em and shame 'em old chap!

I agree with you on the media crap. I think it's completely horrid.

I was just making the point, that considering what the other #1s cop attention wise, he has flown completely under the radar as a comparison.

Consider Boyd, consider Mccartin. I don't think weitering deserves to cop shit, was just making the observation.
I just believe that the reason he's 'flown under the radar', as you put it, is because his performances have simply been far superior to the likes of Boyd, McCartin, Watts at similar times in their careers. He's had a few crappy games this season, in between some quite strong performances as well. But, if he puts up some more showings like his one today, I agree that the comparison is likely to come.

It's been nearly 30 years since Grant and 15 since Lake but the clubs finally drafted another A grade tall. Young's judgement in the air was faultless, only players with elite talent can do that straight away. Now the next big thing is making sure he never gets close to coming out of contract.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Again, I wouldn't be so hasty to blow off Collins. He was a high-20s pick for a reason, may yet prove to be an A-grade lockdown KPD.

BT has a history of misdiagnosing Stringer hamstrings.
I did think back to the final, but he didn't even leave the ground that time.

This might just be the spark we need, and let's face it, if we play finals, it'll take a decent run of wins to get us there which should have confidence up going into September.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs 82 beat Carlton 62. The Lewis Young Appreciation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back