Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought that aside from a couple of nice marks around the ground from Rough, that Red offered us more through the middle of the ground. His low, hard and precise field kicking was right on tonight.
Yeah. Red made me look silly today.

The usual injuries aside, Roughead has really disappointed me this year. I assume he's always going to get butchered in the taps and you can argue the impact of that anyway. I don't want to see a guy like Witts out-do him around the ground though. I'm not surprised the bulldogs went long on the talented ruckman in the first round this draft.

Good to see Easton Wood start forward shame he could not
kick the first goal from two attempts. Shame Dale Morris
got hurt as i would have liked Easton Wood to stay up
forward for the whole game just to see the result.

Gold Coast are not good, but the new coach might have
more luck with the list. There were some encouraging
signs today, but also some worries with a few players
looking very sore. Win the next two and you never know
what will happen come the finals.

Picken was great. Well done, Picko. I enjoyed his 6 goals.
Dale also kicked 3 tidy goals and I'm liking him more and more as the season wears on.
In the first quarter we were actually leading and passing to guys on the lead and they were marking it. Marking it!! Good times.
Also, 2 goals from Dahlhaus (one really nice snap)- it seems like forever since that happened?

Seriously undermanned Suns outfit though. Dunno why they tried to rough us up in the first quarter.
That was just a little bit stupid. They aren't usually that kind of team.

Solid game from Biggs.
Poor Dale Morris :(

I thought that Wood looked a bit uncomfortable at times today being played further up the ground, but I suppose with Morris going down he'll be returning to the backline anyway.

All I'm really looking for now is some sort of return to style and confidence from us.
We managed that a bit last week, and a bit this week. Still immensely frustrating at times, and I know our opposition hasn't been much chop, but I'd like to see us build on the last fortnight no matter where we end up for the year.

You did mate, you did
Standing in massive bus queue now so i can write a quick review

Bailey Dale is a gun
Lewis Young just has something about him
Picko back to his best
Hopefully that wasnt the last time i get to see Moz play. Went down saveificing himself for the team again
It aas inly a very very poor Gold Coast side, but we definately put together a much better game tonight - momentum is building, just hope we haven't left it too late

Sorry @kingharold i didnt get a chance to catch you
That's only 87 words GM. Looking forward to the full exposition.

I think that Cordy is safe as houses in the backline, regardless of whether or not we get Lever. With Collins beginning to progress towards the seniors I suspect that Beveridge and Co gave us a glimpse of future when we saw Adams move forward with varying degrees of success earlier this year. I also suspect that we might get a glimpse into that future as soon as next week when Collins, Cordy and Young Lewis Young all play in the same side.

Lets not forget that he is a 193cm player who is best suited to a flank that is playing incredible well yet is way outside his weight devision, Next week he will be the most experienced tall in our backline and he'll love it.

The difference between Cordy and Young is : Young has nmore natural ability
Yep.
Its not a defenders job to get possessions its their job to stop their opponent from getting them.

I don't think a defender can get away with just being a spoiler these days. Especially at half back. So much of the attacking player begins there.

Most of it i 100% agreed with until the Cordy bit. Dude is a stone cold killer.
I think that Cordy is safe as houses in the backline, regardless of whether or not we get Lever. With Collins beginning to progress towards the seniors I suspect that Beveridge and Co gave us a glimpse of future when we saw Adams move forward with varying degrees of success earlier this year. I also suspect that we might get a glimpse into that future as soon as next week when Collins, Cordy and Young Lewis Young all play in the same side.

Lets not forget that he is a 193cm player who is best suited to a flank that is playing incredible well yet is way outside his weight devision, Next week he will be the most experienced tall in our backline and he'll love it.

Yea it was probably a bit of a hot take with Cordy. I was mainly trying to emphasise how good Young has been in his 2 games.

But projecting to next year, there will be some tough questions asked IF we do end up getting Lever(and we get Adams back). Like I said I love Cordy's grit and he has a great fist, but he isn't a intercept marker, and our game plan relies heavily on rebound from the backline which makes contested/intercept marks invaluable.
So if we look at our contested markers down back (and include Jake Lever).
Contested mark averages 2017:
Lewis Young : 1.50
Easton Wood : 1.25
Jake Lever : 1.20
Marcus Adams : 1.20
Shane Biggs : 0.64
Dale Morris : 0.56
Fletcher Roberts : 0.30
Mathew Suckling : 0.24
Mathew Boyd : 0.22
Zaine Cordy : 0.21

So don't be surprised to see a backline of (Assuming Murphy, Boyd and Morris all retire):
Wood - Adams - Lever
JJ - Young - Biggs/Suckling/Williams

Cordy spent a bunch of games in the VFL this year and only got back into the side once Adams went down. So with the rise of Lewis Young it should't come as a surprise to see him back in the VFL again next year once Adams returns and we get Jake Lever. In fact I would be very surprised if he isn't playing VFL if we get Lever. And this isn't even taking into account the potential break out of Collins.

Good first and last quarters, pretty mediocre in the middle quarters.

Lewis young another decent game 16 touches and 10 marks. Picken outstanding, dale good again (also great banker result in pieman). Biggs very solid again.

Moz going down isn't good, libba still way off the pace.

Asked this in the game day thread, at vfl level is Williams as slow at making decisions he seems to constantly hesitate and think too long about using the ball and goes into slow motion.

So we sit 9-8 98%ish next two weeks will decide our fate win both and we could end up 11-8 with 3 games left and likely of a finals spot. Not sure you'll need 13 wins with the even comp 12 more likely.
Think we def need 13 mate with our %

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His turnovers hurt us and he got done holding the ball at least three times. I just don't see what he brings to the side as he's not particularly fast, he's not great overhead and he isn't an elite ball user. The only thing he seems to do well is spin out of tackles which isn't that useful unless you can hurt the opposition with pace or kicking. I get that he's young but the way people on here talk about him you'd think he's the next Bob Murphy.

Firstly your underselling his ball use massively. Objectively I can't classify it as elite as yet but you can't see him just stroke a fifty metre bullet to the halfback/wing in the third quarter and not think he has the potential to be one day. Secondly even good ball users turn the ball over but today two of them weren't entirely his fault Bob and Bont both didn't do him any favors with their handballs.

Just saw an snippet of Eade's presser- he was asked about Morris and he was told it was a bad break. Eade then sung Moz's praises which was really nice to see. He said Moz is as good a player as he has coached and that he is a superstar. I thought it was a nice thing because Eade really had to be under a s**tload of pressure at the moment.

Just saw an snippet of Eade's presser- he was asked about Morris and he was told it was a bad break. Eade then sung Moz's praises which was really nice to see. He said Moz is as good a player as he has coached and that he is a superstar. I thought it was a nice thing because Eade really had to be under a s**tload of pressure at the moment.

Had a first hand look at how good the guy was for a long time. Not surprised at the respect.

Rocket's a lovely bloke, he'll remember and ask after people he hasn't seen for decades. Feel for him, should never have taken that Suns job.

I've always liked Eade. Has a lot of integrity and has had shocking luck with that GCS list and their injuries. Probably deserves to be a premiership coach after getting us to three prelims in a row.

Positives:

Lewie Young with another 10 marks today. This kid is special. He is already an upgrade of Hamling, as he is much taller(197cm vs 194cm), yet still brings the incredible athleticism and speed that Hamling brought (2nd fastest 20m sprint time at AFL draft combine in SA). But most importantly he is a legit intercept/contested marker unlike Hamling.

Picken is clearly our best forward. His work up forward was a big reason why we won the flag last year. So why the hell has he spent all of the year on the wing? Why do we only play him forward when Stringer is missing? The only other time he played permanent forward this year was vs North rd14 when Stringer was injured as well, and he dominated and kicked 3 goals.
Not only does he dominate up forward but he is a liability when he plays on the wing because of his poor decision making and ball use. Up forward those problems are a non issue and he can use his incredible 1 on 1 work and great overhead marking(for his size).

Good to see Macrae take some contested marks. At 191cm, if he can start to use his height to be an aerial weapon he can seriously challenge Bont as our best player, as he is much more consistent in getting his hands on the ball.

Good to see Redpath finally have a good game. 11 marks, 18 disposals and a goal. Unfortunately he might have cost himself a week on the sidelines because of a stupid jumper punch.

Has McLean been our best player over the last 3 weeks? He is averaging 28 disposals and 6 tackles a game over the last 3 weeks.

After a little dry patch it's good to see Wallis dominate the last 2 games. 26 disposals and 1 goal today.

Biggsy with his best game of the year. 27 disposals and 11 marks. After an up and down year, hopefully he builds some form heading into finals (if we somehow make it).

Negatives:

Dale Morris's injury.

Murphy's performance is a worry. It's looking like this might very well be his last year.

Webb with another great performance in the VFL today (30 disposals 4 goals), yet he probably still won't get a look in as Bevo has a hard on for Honey, the turnover and point kicking machine (he had 2 set shots at goal today that didn't even make the distance).

I love Cordy and his grit but Lewie Youngs recent performances raise some serious questions about Cordy and his place in the team. IF we do get Lever at the end of the year, and Adams comes back in to the team, I think Cordy will find himself playing VFL most of next year. Young was clearly a class above everyone last week, but even tonight Young had 16 disposals vs Cordys 9, and 10 marks vs 3. This is all whilst being 197cm vs 191cm, and playing on a very dangerous Tom Lynch.

Libba.....I just don't know.....
Rubbish on Cordy, we are a better side with him in it. In our best 22, just like the successful grand final. Think about it

I thought that aside from a couple of nice marks around the ground from Rough, that Red offered us more through the middle of the ground. His low, hard and precise field kicking was right on tonight.
Don't know about a better ruck..but by geez he can kick a pass..last week v's blues he smacked a pass to dalh in the f50 that nearly broke his ribs

I've always liked Eade. Has a lot of integrity and has had shocking luck with that GCS list and their injuries. Probably deserves to be a premiership coach after getting us to three prelims in a row.
Yeah I watched a bit too. Feel sorry for him picking up a basket case like the Suns. Unfortunately, he will be remembered for his recent form as coach, which will be a blight on his career as coach, as he did well with Sydney and us!

AFL website...poor honey :p

63mERy8.jpg

Keen to get people's thoughts on Hunters game. I was very critical of him in the match day thread. I know he got 31, but he is such a butcher, a slow decision maker and rarely keeps his feet.

Another great game from Young.

Libba, thought he was good last week but couldn't back it up.

I might be in the minority but I think Morris plays on. Can't afford to lose him, Boyd and Murphy in one year.

We really are missing the flexibility T. Boyd gives us. Roughy pretty ordinary again.

Going to be interesting down back next week against a big forward line. Collins has been good in the VFL, think Bevo will give him a shot

Yea it was probably a bit of a hot take with Cordy. I was mainly trying to emphasise how good Young has been in his 2 games.

But projecting to next year, there will be some tough questions asked IF we do end up getting Lever(and we get Adams back). Like I said I love Cordy's grit and he has a great fist, but he isn't a intercept marker, and our game plan relies heavily on rebound from the backline which makes contested/intercept marks invaluable.
So if we look at our contested markers down back (and include Jake Lever).
Contested mark averages 2017:
Lewis Young : 1.50
Easton Wood : 1.25
Jake Lever : 1.20
Marcus Adams : 1.20
Shane Biggs : 0.64
Dale Morris : 0.56
Fletcher Roberts : 0.30
Mathew Suckling : 0.24
Mathew Boyd : 0.22
Zaine Cordy : 0.21

So don't be surprised to see a backline of (Assuming Murphy, Boyd and Morris all retire):
Wood - Adams - Lever
JJ - Young - Biggs/Suckling/Williams

Cordy spent a bunch of games in the VFL this year and only got back into the side once Adams went down. So with the rise of Lewis Young it should't come as a surprise to see him back in the VFL again next year once Adams returns and we get Jake Lever. In fact I would be very surprised if he isn't playing VFL if we get Lever. And this isn't even taking into account the potential break out of Collins.

Theres not a lot to argue with there other than the fact that it all rides on a pretty big If. After the Hurley talk of last year, Ill get excited about the prospect of Lever playing for us when it gets announced. Until then, I'd rather talk about what we have and what we have is un undersized 3rd tall defender being asked to take on men that have him covered week after week in both height and bulk. That he doesn't have a lot of contested marks to his name shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs def Suns by 54 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back