Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Dunkley. He'll play permanent forward a la the Clay Smith/ Wallis role of tough insidish mid who dominates F50 stoppages.

Only difference is Dunkley is 191cm and can mark.

Other difference is that Dunkley's kicking is appallling in comparison to Smith and Wallis.

While Bont's set shot work was also terrible last.year, hoping its a one off and if so, I'd back Bont to lead our goal kicking this year. But who knows.

Other difference is that Dunkley's kicking is appallling in comparison to Smith and Wallis.

While Bont's set shot work was also terrible last.year, hoping its a one off and if so, I'd back Bont to lead our goal kicking this year. But who knows.
Clay Smith is a terrible field kick but kicked 8 goals 1 in the 2016 finals series, not too much faith in him outside of that although it improved a fair bit.
Wallis gets no penetration in his kicking and I have no faith that outside 40m he makes the distance every time.

I like Dunkley, think he's harshly considered given his 2017 was ruined by injury. His kicking isn't a strength but his set shots seem ok - just like Smith.

Clay Smith is a terrible field kick but kicked 8 goals 1 in the 2016 finals series, not too much faith in him outside of that although it improved a fair bit.
Wallis gets no penetration in his kicking and I have no faith that outside 40m he makes the distance every time.

I like Dunkley, think he's harshly considered given his 2017 was ruined by injury. His kicking isn't a strength but his set shots seem ok - just like Smith.
I actually think Smith isn't a bad field kick. Horrible action and won't be slicing teams up with his kicks, but generally it's pretty safe and he seems to get the ball to where he wants it.

Agree to disagree IMO both Smith and Wallis are excellent set shots.

Dunkley is very poor.

FWIW, Wallis is mentioned in WFTU as being told he has to change by keeping his feet. He is an inside animal and thats where he played his best footy, IMO, and its probably no coincidence that he played it while Libba was out. But libba has him for first hands and knees' style of player. You can have all your mids on their knees - you need that spread on the offence and tackling on defence. Once you go to ground, you better have the ball....

FWIW, Wallis is mentioned in WFTU as being told he has to change by keeping his feet. He is an inside animal and thats where he played his best footy, IMO, and its probably no coincidence that he played it while Libba was out. But libba has him for first hands and knees' style of player. You can have all your mids on their knees - you need that spread on the offence and tackling on defence. Once you go to ground, you better have the ball....

Thanks. What's WFTU?

Certainly cant deny dunkleys kicking is poor. But with his pressure he will create himself a lot of scoring opportunities.

I really cant see any of our guys kicking large numbers (+40 goals) this season. A spread of 30+ goal kickers i can live with.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The whole lists set shot quality has decreased.

Dickson becomes a bog ordinary footy player if he doesn’t take the 3-4 chances he gets as he used to.

Even Jong(get ready I’m about to compliment him) who was a better than average set shot isn’t as good.

It’s probably Bonts only real weakness also.

Do we have a kicking coach?

Dickson becomes a bog ordinary footy player if he doesn’t take the 3-4 chances he gets as he used to.

Even Jong(get ready I’m about to compliment him) who was a better than average set shot isn’t as good.

Our kicking for goal is just an extension of our field kicking which is Shyte!

If we don't have a kicking coach here is a suggestion get one ASAP

Agree re Dickson. He's not in our best 15 but how he goes this year could still have a huge bearing on our chances. Average two goals a match will give us a 40-goal forward. He needs to average more than a goal a match to justify his place in the side. His career average is 1.69. In 2017 was 1.22.

Don't agree re Bont. Not yet anyway. He was a pretty accurate kick for goal until last year so I'm hoping that was an aberration and not the start of chronic yips (like Chris Grant developed). Here's some stats on his four seasons (GLs-BHs ... Games)
2014 15-10 ... 16
2015 17-10 ... 21
2016 26-17 ... 26
2017 20-29 ... 22

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree re Dickson. He's not in our best 15 but how he goes this year could still have a huge bearing on our chances. Average two goals a match will give us a 40-goal forward. He needs to average more than a goal a match to justify his place in the side. His career average is 1.69. In 2017 was 1.22.

Don't agree re Bont. Not yet anyway. He was a pretty accurate kick for goal until last year so I'm hoping that was an aberration and not the start of chronic yips (like Chris Grant developed). Here's some stats on his four seasons (GLs-BHs ... Games)
2014 15-10 ... 16
2015 17-10 ... 21
2016 26-17 ... 26
2017 20-29 ... 22
Incorrect, he missed 2 crucial consecutive set shots that basically cost us the game against Adelaide 2015 final

Incorrect, he missed 2 crucial consecutive set shots that basically cost us the game against Adelaide 2015 final

Not to mention the nightmare he had against the Hawks in 2016 finals.

Personally think Dickson is depth now much rather see Dale, McLean or Lipinski hey a gig before him or Picken if we need a mature player

Not to mention the nightmare he had against the Hawks in 2016 finals.

Personally think Dickson is depth now much rather see Dale, McLean or Lipinski hey a gig before him or Picken if we need a mature player
I agree on Dickson though. If he isn’t kicking 8 out of 10 shots for goal, he doesn’t offer us much else. His defensive pressure is virtually non-existent now and he goes missing for huge periods of games.

Dickson can't play through injury and he's getting older in football terms. This is a big year for him.

Dale and Mclean are miles ahead of him already (evidenced by last year), Picken yes, Lippi still has a bit of work to do and I like him except for his pace. Doesn't look that quick for a small/mid forward.

2014 15-10 ... 16
2015 17-10 ... 21
2016 26-17 ... 26
2017 20-29 ... 22

One positive is the amount of shots increases each year. If there is any knock on the Bont,imo, it is that he could hit the scoreboard more - seems he is addressing this.

Seems a bit rough to be blaming the loss on Bont alone when Bev identified eighty-five errors that cost the game and said "fix eight of those and we win" (quoted in WFTU).

One inaccurate game - even if it was an EF - doesn't mean he had an inaccurate season. If we want to be selective I could say he kicked 7-0 in the five rounds before that.

From watching him over his career I still maintain that he was fairly accurate until 2017. Let's hope he gets back his accuracy back in 2018. He's been good in the JLTs.

Bont's 2016 heat map shows him pretty much dead centre of the ground, with half his possessions forward and half back. Its amazing how symetrical it is really, only very slightly favouring his left foot. Compared to the others who clearly have zones and running patterns they stick to

http://overthelinesports.com.au/?p=27825

Id like to see him more of a 60F/40D split -- not because he is playing as a forward, but as a mid spending more time forward of the play and drifting forward when we have the ball. He really shouldnt be running deep into defence unless there is an emergency. Idea is to add a goal a game to his output without spending much time forward, except to rest in a pocket like an old fashioned ruckman.

We have plenty who can handball receive in the backline and carry the ball out of defence, but if you *are* carrying the ball out of defence, who would you rather see up the ground? Daniel, Libba or the bont?

Last edited:
Bont's 2016 heat map shows him pretty much dead centre of the ground, with half his possessions forward and half back. Its amazing how symetrical it is really, only very slightly favouring his left foot. Compared to the others who clearly have zones and running patterns they stick to

http://overthelinesports.com.au/?p=27825

Id like to see him more of a 60F/40D split -- not because he is playing as a forward, but as a mid spending more time forward of the play and drifting forward when we have the ball. He really shouldnt be running deep into defence unless there is an emergency. Idea is to add a goal a game to his output without spending much time forward, except to rest in a pocket like an old fashioned ruckman.

We have plenty who can handball receive in the backline and carry the ball out of defence, but if you *are* carrying the ball out of defence, who would you rather see up the ground? Daniel, Libba or the bont?
Well said. I agree with this 100%

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Dogs vs Pies @ Moe Saturday 10 March

Remove this Banner Ad

Back