Dogs will put bite on less-than-hungry Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article by Voss....

The Age
Michael Voss | May 30, 2008

THE bounce-back factor is a powerful weapon in AFL footy. And it's the main reason I'm tipping the Western Bulldogs to beat Hawthorn in what shapes as a battle within the battle to become the No. 1 challenger to Geelong.

I'm not reading anything too much into the Cats' first loss to Collingwood last week, and that's the other half of the reason I'm on the Dogs tomorrow.

The Dogs lost in heart-breaking fashion last week and will be motivated to hit back hard, while the unbeaten Hawks don't look to have been quite as hungry lately and are due to lose one soon. So, I'm playing the odds.

Whatever, it's interesting to compare the Dogs and the Hawks, who, while different in some areas, most noticeably their forward set-up, have a lot of similarities and have used much the same formula to climb into the top section of the ladder this year.

The key to both sides has been a really well-balanced midfield that runs just as hard back as it runs forward, and applies a lot of defensive pressure. And they always look to play on quickly after a mark.

In the Dogs' midfield, Adam Cooney has been magnificent and Ryan Griffen likewise. But what I really like has been the role played by Daniel Cross and Matthew Boyd.

They are not shutdown players in the traditional sense but they go out to beat their direct opponent. They use him as a starting point, and still find plenty of the ball, while making sure there is accountability through the middle part of the ground.

Boyd, in particular, tried to be too much of an attacking player last year. He's found a better balance and it's been a real plus for Rodney Eade's troops, who I suspect are much fitter than they were 12 months ago.

And Mitch Hahn, whether he's playing at centre half-forward or having a run through the middle, sets a standard with his attack on the ball. He puts pressure on others in the group to do the same.

In the Hawks' midfield, Brad Sewell, largely underrated last year despite finishing third in the best-and-fairest, fills the same Boyd-like role. Chance Bateman does, too, and together, they complement nicely the attacking class of Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis.

Significantly, too, both midfield groups have good goalkicking power.

Ben Hudson has been a fantastic pick-up in the ruck for the Dogs. He's not in the same class as Dean Cox but he works hard at ground level, covers plenty of territory and wins a stack of ball. He's the perfect foil for Will Minson in an underrated ruck combination.

There's no more underrated ruck pairing in the league than the Hawks' Robert Campbell and Simon Taylor, who haven't missed a game between them since round one last year. Another similarity between the two sides.

The Dogs and the Hawks rank No. 1 and No. 2 in scoring this year, and it is in this area that they are strikingly different, yet equally efficient.

The Hawks have two big focal points in Lance Franklin (196 centimetres) and Jarryd Roughead (193), supported by a mid-sized Mark Williams (180), an exciting Cyril Rioli (177) and Michael Osborne (178).

The Dogs' forward line comprises more mid-sized players and smalls — Robert Murphy (186), Brad Johnson (182) and Scott Welsh (188), plus Jason Akermanis (177), with Minson (199) providing the occasional variation.

The question mark on both sides, and whether they have the armoury to combat Geelong on grand final day, is their size down back. Or lack of size. Can they adequately match up on a Cats forward line that might include Brad Ottens (202 centimetres), Cam Mooney (195) and Tom Hawkins (197).

I've got to admit I'm not as concerned about this as many seem to be.

If it was Hawthorn playing Geelong in the big one, Trent Croad would have to take Ottens, the undersized but enormously effective Brown would play on Mooney, and they could play any number of smaller, moving types on Hawkins, who takes a great pack mark but might be exploitable at ground level.

The Dogs would use the underrated Brian Lake on Ottens — it's his job to take the No. 1 man each week.

As much as I'm on the Dogs tomorrow, I think Hawthorn at this stage are better-equipped to challenge Geelong in September.

The difference is that big guy up forward. Or two of them. Franklin and Roughead.

Under finals pressure, there comes a time when you can't pinpoint a pass to a leading forward all the time because the opposition pressure is so intense. You've just got to throw it on the boot, bang it in long to the hot spot and hope someone can take a pack mark.

Hawthorn is better equipped in that area.

Right now, Franklin is the best-performed player in the competition, and I can't see him not being a weapon in the finals. Roughead is the perfect foil. A couple of his contested marks last week were powerful-plus.

The game tomorrow will be played at breakneck pace because both midfield groups love to move the ball quickly.

It'll be a foot race to see which side can push back the hardest and then run forward, and a fierce battle to see which side can apply most defensive pressure through the middle.

It'll be a beauty.

The Hawks are flag favorites at this stage for sure. If we can beat them tomorrow it will simply highlight how close things are given that the Hawks have got some injuries. Fully fit Hawks are the best side in the comp. However, I think anyone on their day out of us, Hawthorn, Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane, Sydney, Port and Adelaide could all beat each other. Teams only have to be a little bit off to drop a game.

We still conceed far too many goals a every week and our defence is still very shaky, so I'm not sure what Voss is talking about when he is talking about defensive pressure.

We are managing to win more of the stoppages and are getting first to ball more this year and our conversion inside 50 is the best in the league, we also have the highest indised fifties in the league.

Being first to the ball more often means we go forward more often and the fact we are good at converting means we are winning more games.

Our defence and defensive pressure is still quite poor, don't be fooled, we still are not doing enough when we dont have the ball and our backline is getting killed because of it.

LESS THAN HUNGRY HAWKS???????

Nu-uh.

We're starving.

The doggies are a great offensive team. Geelong changed footy last year from a flood-fest attacking footy. Doggies are one of the best at it, but to say you'll win because we're less than hungry? NO way vossy.

Doggies can match us pound for pound, but conceeding easy goals against a side with our kind of forward line doesn't look good.

Will be a GREAT game.

Good luck doggies - my favourite non-hawthorn team :thumbsu:

Anyone else hear a rumor about Sam Mitchell maybe missing? I reckon it would have to be BS given that he didn't front the tribunal.

In the end it is irrelevent. We put our best 22 out there against your best 22 available.

Me, I'm happy Higgins isnt playing. I seem to remember him giving us a bath of late.

I wouldnt take Buckley's Less than Hungry idea at all.

We have won every last quarter this season.

Last weeks win against Melbourne at a massive 19 points was our 3rd biggest winning margin this year. Let me repeat 19 points is 3rd biggest winning margin. Something has happened this year. We are not losing those last quarters anymore so get in front expect a massive effort in the last.

Having said that, let me say this (In my best politicians voice :)) I work at the Dome and saw the Doggies v Tiggers (deliberate). The effort put in by the Dogs to get up was also massive. This could be a game.

I remember in particular Adam Cooney at the opening bounce 4th quarter. Never seen anything like it.. his feet where on turbo charge, he really wanted that ball.. didnt get it but made his intent known. Shame for us we dont have Hodge and Crawford out there to really spice things up in the middle.

Anyway, hears to at least a good game of AFL Football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back