Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what it looks like. As to the authenticity of the video, the Advertiser used a pretty highly regarded forensic analyst (Dr Mathew Sorrell, 'an internationally recognised expert in the field of digital evidence who is regularly used by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for high profile cases of murder and organised crime') who seems to confirm it as real:

'Dr Sorell broke the pictures down into a series of numbers using a 'hexadecimal file viewer and found no anomalies'. He found consistent lighting and reflections and says the image resolution and metadata of the photos and video are 'mutually consistent with their content' even when viewed at the hexadecimal level.'

"I have checked multiple points of reference including the digital file structures of each photo and video, the embedded metadata and the content of each graph/video", he says and "It is in my opinion that each file is internally consistent and shows no indication of alteration of content or metadata". I am unable to identify any of the characteristics of photograph manipulation that would be consistent with photograph alteration and video synthesis- so-called 'deepfake' video.

Regardless of the authenticity of the video, the leaking of it to the Advertiser is clearly politically motivated to deeply embarrass Speirs and destroy any chance of him reviving his political career either within the Liberal Party or as a rogue independent or even turncoat Minister in a Labor Government as happened with former Liberal leader Martin Hamilton Smith.

Probably stating the obvious but my guess is that the only people who feel so violently opposed to David Speirs to do this are his opponents within his own Liberal Party as he poses no threat to the Labor Govt now he has resigned.

As someone who has snorted drugs off a plate in someone's kitchen, I too can vouch for the authenticity of the photos.

Also, his eyes. Mofo is ****ing flying.

Am I the only one who doesn't give a shit what people put up their nose in their own time?
If your 'in someone else's time', ie a taxpayer, involves preaching stuff like law and order and crime and punishment, there's some sort of expectation to not be a total hypocrite breaking the same laws you champion and avoiding the punishment you encourage and being a part of the chain of organised crime (the consumer).

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

lol

"The Advertiser is not suggesting any wrongdoing on Mr Speirs’ behalf, nor is it asserting the substance was illicit."
That line always cracks me up.

Well yeah, you ARE suggesting exactly that.

A bit like the 'white powder' comment. As if it might be just baking soda- you know, that nasal cleaning product that's all the rage these days.

If your 'in someone else's time', ie a taxpayer, involves preaching stuff like law and order and crime and punishment, there's some sort of expectation to not be a total hypocrite breaking the same laws you champion and avoiding the punishment you encourage and being a part of the chain of organised crime (the consumer).
Hope you're not implying David Speirs is a hypocrite edgie?

I mean Speirs biggest achievement as Environment Minister in the Marshall Government was banning single use plastic straws in SA.

And that video clearly shows him using a $5 note for his coke snorting. So bravo David for being an environmentally friendly user.

Screenshot 2024-09-12 at 9.45.12 AM.png

Hope you're not implying David Speirs is a hypocrite edgie?

I mean Speirs biggest achievement as Environment Minister in the Marshall Government was banning single use plastic straws in SA.

And that video clearly shows him using a $5 note for his coke snorting. So bravo David for being an environmentally friendly user.

View attachment 2108254

David Spiers bio should be:

David Spiers, Member for Black, Former leader of the opposition, and an environmentally friendly drug user.

Gather round, Woolies and Coles are going to get another $30000 fine. That'll teach em!

I get the pile on but feel banks and in particular card transactions fees are far bigger ripoffs to consumers currently than the supermarket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact that royalty payments to government on a big taxpayer funded loan are behind and that workers and sub contractors to the Whyalla steelworks have not been paid is of huge concern. As is the fact that the blast furnace is yet again out of action and seems to be in danger of failing completely.

But I just wish the local media would put their big boy journalism pants on and go beyond the simple blame game politicking and personal attacks on Sanjeev Gupta. How about investigating the bigger issues at play here that explain WHY Gupta, who was once welcomed as a hero and a saviour of the city of Whyalla when he financially invested to rescue the business from the withdrawal of BHP and the financial collapse of Arrium, is now struggling to make his investment work.

The Whyalla steelworks have been in some sort of economic crisis for decades but the biggest danger of all for the steelworks and the people of Whyalla is the fact that, due mainly to economic conditions in China, global steel prices have fallen sharply over the course of this year (down by 14%) and almost 50% below what they were in September 2021. Falling demand and global prices for steel means that a relatively small (in global terms) and ageing plant like Whyalla that was always marginal in terms of viability is now at huge risk of total failure/closure which would be devastating for a regional city like Whyalla.

Yes, a billionaire missing royalty payments and underpaying workers is worthy of investigation and damning criticism.

But by focussing their attacks solely on the owner for the past year the local media seem to have been ignoring the elephant in the room. And that ABC story is the first one that comes close to getting the balance right.

The SA Govt is in talks with Australia’s largest steel maker BlueScope as a potential rescuer of the Whyalla steelworks and has also spoken with Nippon Steel Corporation, POSCO (South Korea), Thyssenkrupp (Germany) and Tata Steel (India). But, as it was for the original owner of the steelworks (BHP) and has been for GFG, the location, size and scale of the Whyalla plant makes it a marginal commercial proposition at best (let alone find close to a billion dollars for a new environmentally friendly furnace).

As for Gupta, I fear his financial investment in SA - including as a sponsor of the PAFC - is drawing to a close.

Last edited:
A jury has unanimously found South Australian MP Troy Bell guilty of theft and dishonesty charges for stealing more than $436,000 from an educational not-for-profit.

The former Liberal Party and now Independent member for the seat of Mount Gambier now faces the prospect of a gaol sentence and losing his position in Parliament, forcing a by election

A reminder that the criminal charges against Bell stemmed from a 2017 SA ICAC investigation - under powers which have now been substantially whittled down by a unanimous decision of South Australian MPs and upper house members. :think:

A jury has unanimously found South Australian MP Troy Bell guilty of theft and dishonesty charges for stealing more than $436,000 from an educational not-for-profit.

The former Liberal Party and now Independent member for the seat of Mount Gambier now faces the prospect of a gaol sentence and losing his position in Parliament, forcing a by election

A reminder that the criminal charges against Bell stemmed from a 2017 SA ICAC investigation - under powers which have now been substantially whittled down by a unanimous decision of South Australian MPs and upper house members. :think:
I’m sure that’s just a coincidence 🤔

I’m sure that’s just a coincidence 🤔
Yep. No need for an ICAC with special powers to keep tabs on our pollies and senior bureaucrats. They're all fine upstanding citizens...

Err, hang on

Screenshot 2024-09-27 at 4.32.12 PM.png

And these are just the ones who got caught. None of them admitting they did anything wrong of course.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back