News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

McEvoy's has considerable leadership attributes. Has been touted as a future Saints Captain and has played in a grand final. This certainly doesn't hurt. Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is that it's a win that Savage didn't end up at the Blues who are looming as contenders in 2014. From his personal point of view as a kiwi he will benefit from StKilda's association with NZ becoming an ambassador for them.

Didn't expect this. Is this the big **** you to Brisbane and their hard balling?

Massive upgrade on the retired Max and I'd say he's better then Longer as of now. Great get.

What about 2008 and 2013, and the 80s and 90s? ;)

The only thing I need from a ruckman is to be able to provide a contest that means Rough doesn't have to get in there too often. I'm yet to recall a game EVER where Sandilands has made any significant impact against us. At least in any meaningful way on the result.

Forget Sandilands, watch Ivan Maric from the Tiger's the last twice we played them. Silver service to the Tiger mids, cut us up.

It's a really nice trade if McEvoy stays fit because it will allow Hale to spend more time up forward, and that could be important without having Franklin taking the #1 defender each week. The fact that he's a quality player and still young by ruck standards is a nice bonus.

I dont know?? Im confused.... So Longer is off the table?? Or is Hawthorn trying to break records and have the tallest side in the comp?

If we got Longer and played him we would still have the same amount of talls in the side as we did last year. Buddy and Bailey replaced by Longer and Big Boy. It would mean when we sub off one of the rucks (which we did a lot last season) we wouldn't have to ruck Roughie.

In saying that i doubt that Longer would play every week, which would give us the opportunity to play a few of the younger mids.

Umm...??/... Ye?? So we get screwed over with the Bud thing and now we give away sav and first round for McEvoy?? Is this the best we can come up with?? Im lost for words.

We must throw everything at winning a flag next year whilst we have Hodge, Burger and Sammy. Longer with his 9 games, is too inexperienced, give him another season of AFL and he would have been ideal. You dont need to have a great ruckman but you must have a competent one, McEvoy fits that charter.

What other avenues were open to us?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We must throw everything at winning a flag next year whilst we have Hodge, Burger and Sammy. Longer with his 9 games, is too inexperienced, give him another season of AFL and he would have been ideal. You dont need to have a great ruckman but you must have a competent one, McEvoy fits that charter.

What other avenues were open to us?
We need to find a young midfield jet.

Hallahan and Anderson - need a huge season from one of these guys.

I think it is a good move. McEvoy looks like a 200 gamer so should play a solid 6-7 seasons for us.

Over the last 10 years we have wasted a lot of time, effort, picks to find a decent ruckman and has not worked out for a variety of reasons.

Skipper, Pattinson, Taylor, Renouf, Bailey, Grimley, Lowden, Cegler, McCauley, Campbell and Hale.

Probably a few others that I can't remember, but the fact is that some of those players have come cheaply some more expensive, but they have all taken up spots on the list and development time. Only 2-3 of them have made an AFL grade player and of those Campbell and Bailey were cut down early through injury.

Hopefully McEvoy can stay fit and healthy and give us decent service for several years and offer a good contest in the ruck. If this happens then there is no doubt that the trade would be worth it.

Like a few others on here wasn't overly convinced when i heard the news and what we traded, but seems to be a lot of positive comments about the big fella,
so hoping it all works out.
Welcome to Hawthorn Macca!.

I must say I'm pretty sick of that ******* whistling ******* from the Bertocchi ads in trade radio.

What's he so happy about!? It's salami ffs!

That ad for the Big 4 caravan parks, with the 2 guys saying town names pisses me off to no end, have to turn the speakers off everytime it comes on.

Wow, very happy to wake up to that sort of trade news!
Well done Hawks, great get.
I can see Savage and a first round pick being right up StKildas alley given their need to rebuild, but thought at only 24 McEvoy would have been part of their future plans.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back