News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy enough with the trade as I rate McEvoy.

Sad to lose Savage who will be good for the Saints.

Would really still like one young talented inside mid and one young talented key forward to wrap up our trade week.

I think our defence is pretty solid so nothing needed there.

Tell me you are kidding when we have Gunston, Roughy, Hale, Grimley, O'Brien and swingman Shoenmakers all on the books already!

Probably mess his development up though. Draft him as a forward and start developing him that way, suddenly switch him to a KPB and now switch it around again? I'd rather keep him as a backman. O'Brien should be the forward they develop and focus on. Lake was great this year for us, brilliant even, but he is going to be gone sooner rather than later. We will need Schoe then.

That is maybe correct but the Hawks defence was solid this year and I would be inclined not to change it other than the forced change of Guerra and the other usual match up changes. Schoenmakers played forward late last year and did it well. There is a spot open at CHF and he is the best candidate IMO.

Asked about Chapman, no talks going on yet and Wright went on about how we already had many forward options and how we are talented in the forward line, that Shoey was coming back and played in the forward line originally. Hmmm interesting and talked up O'Brien who we picked up from SA at pick 28 last year. Mentioned list room in regards to Chappy and I'd say its a reasonably confident no on him.
Straight after being blind-sided by the McEvoy trade when we're all thinking about Longer, and with the Hawks history of similar surprises, i'm reasonably confident there is no basis for being reasonably confident.

Love picking up these players that have ready done their development work, for a price that is probably a lot lower than when the risk was a lot higher (I.e at zero senior games).

You just can't top that kind of trading .

We will have a balancing challenge with rucks and height, but if BIG BOY can give higher output than Bailey then this is a significant trade - without it we would have a clear weakness that other clubs could expose.

I agree it is awesome for the Hawks but long term this is going to be a disaster for the AFL IMO. Sydney do it extensively and have been doing it for years, the Hawks do it extensively, and now the cats are chiming in. If teams like St Kilda have their 24yo 70 gamers raided year after year they are never going to go anywhere.

Mcevoy 2011-2013
- won hitouts at 37% of contests (lowest in the AFL)
- 26% of those to advantage (just below league average)
- 111 intercept marks (clear no.1 of ruckman)

alot of pros and cons however the fact he can't play forward i think he is a little bit overrated

Surprised people aren't happy with this, 2 hours ago we didn't have an AFL ruckman on our list, now we've got a better one than we've had for years coming into his prime. On top of that, he's a ripping country lad.

This. I came on here expecting everyone to be saying what a brilliant deal this is for us. Fair dinkum some of you would whinge if we straight swapped Spangher for Riewoldt.

I'm very happy. I'm surprised people are saying we gave up too much. I like Savage, but he wouldn't have got a regular game in our midfield. And pick 17? Could be good, could be nothing. Hawks are trying to keep the window open...

Its a blow to longers trade currency but fairly low down on our list of problems. Ripping trade for hawthorn thou he is a.pretty terrible tap ruckman. Interesting to see if you still chase longer, he will probably be the afl's #1 tap ruckman in a couple years though not so good around the ground. Would you back yourself in to develop longers fwd game? Could have a lethal ruck combo if you did....

Stats from the Fox Footy Analyst:
McEvoy 2011-13 -Won hitout at 37% of contests (lowest in AFL) -26% hitout-to-adv (AFL avg) -111 intercept marks (clear No.1 of ruckmen)

Well dominate both wings at kick ins / outs

Now just put stratts and yatrran in the middle

Incidentally, who does kick outs post guerra ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. I came on here expecting everyone to be saying what a brilliant deal this is for us. Fair dinkum some of you would whinge if we straight swapped Spangher for Riewoldt.

Hey, we don't even joke about those sorts of things around here.

Spangher is the man.:D :thumbsu:

Stats from the Fox Footy Analyst:
McEvoy 2011-13 -Won hitout at 37% of contests (lowest in AFL) -26% hitout-to-adv (AFL avg) -111 intercept marks (clear No.1 of ruckmen)

The best of the rucks like Sandilands, Goldstein, Minson, Leuenberger, Naitanui and Cox all absolutely dominated him in hitouts.

Also got beaten by Hale, Lobbe, Clarke, and the likes of Jake Spencer and Orren Stephenson. :eek:

But he takes more marks than any other ruckman other than Cox, he's more durable than Max (and most other rucks, touch wood), and with his apparently legendary endurance should give Clarko greater flexibility with the sub.

Wtf props to the Hawthorn trading department, they just pulled off the biggest heist since the great train robbery. Totally reamed St Kilda.

I was against getting Herman Munster a couple of years ago, but have had great joy yelling out "HAILSTORM" when he takes a big grab and kicks a goal, so that has been a big turn around.
It's hard to get excited about picking up a ruckman (unless it was Nic Nat or Grundy), but he is a player we need and is probably the best Ruckman we could have hoped to pick up. He helps us in two ways 1. He provides us with a competitive 1st Ruck 2. He will allow Hale to spend more time forward.
Here's hoping I regularly get to shout "BIG BOY" when he's taking a big contested mark in defence, or even kicking a goal.
Welcome Big Boy

Very disappointed to lose Savage, but it sounds like he wanted out regardless.

St kilda and pelchen are rusted in to the bottom out theory

Ffs you only deploy that when a disaster happens. (Like holland, twiggs and barkers careers all finishing abruptly)

Journos say st kilda are following the hawthorn model. Wasnt our model a copy of st kildas ?
Theres no sign of us bottoming out with the talent stockpiled at sk kilda, even with buddy leaving

Could it be rosss recruiting for now only policy ? And the keep all the dicheads in a bubble policy ?

Something seriously wrong there

Umm...??/... Ye?? So we get screwed over with the Bud thing and now we give away sav and first round for McEvoy?? Is this the best we can come up with?? Im lost for words.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Done Deal - Savage +1st round pick for McEvoy - welcome to the Big Boy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back