Douglas, Perrie IN

Remove this Banner Ad

As the token Marty defender round here - I know it's accepted knowledge, but do we know that he was really dropped for poor form?

He might have been ordinary against West Coast, but he was very good against the Kangaroos the week before, wasn't our worst against Geelong, and was terrific against Carlton.

The fact that Perrie's not travelling suggests Bock and McGregor aren't as sore as they had been, and that's a good thing. Mattner's probably got more ability to cover players in the 22 without restructuring the planned set up than either Jericho or Perrie.

Do you remember last year, Marty was dropped for discipline reasons (not doing the team thing apparently) that co-incided with a small injury, and he took a few weeks to get back in Craig's good books (and the team) again? I'm thinking it's a bit like that.

Sounds like Massie will get the job on Reiwoldt. Should be interesting.
Massie looks like he is going to be under the pump & hopefully he plays as well as last week. Going to be harder though in the perfect conditions of the Dome.

Do you remember last year, Marty was dropped for discipline reasons (not doing the team thing apparently) that co-incided with a small injury, and he took a few weeks to get back in Craig's good books (and the team) again? I'm thinking it's a bit like that.
IMO, it is because his form was up & down. He had some good games, but was lacking consistency.

i would rather douglas in for perrie.for one thing perrie hasnt play any football for a while.but douglas has done very well in the sanfl.i saw him last week against my club cdfc.douglas should be in the crows side since round 1 this year .they should give him a chance. :thumbsu:

Put Bock on Riewoldt, guaranteed to shut him down and take a one handed beauty. Up to that night I did not rate him at all.
Yep, Bock on Riewoldt is a no-brainer, although it would be nice to sretch them up forward with Bock and McGregor there. Massie on Riewoldt is another no-brainer but with a different meaning.

I reckon the Crows are banking on Koschitzke playing back. Blake is their main tall defender, the Crows want to stretch them in this department with both Kenny and Bock up forward.

Stevens will take Riewoldt, Rutten will take Gehrig. If they start Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig up forward then either McGregor or Bock will go with Koschitzke.

If Lyon starts all three up forward, and they get off to a flier, we need to be careful. Will be interesting to watch.

Kosi will probably start in the ruck, but play a fair bit up forward as well. Blake is not, never has been and never will be a tall defender.

This year our main tall defender has been Sam Fisher, who has done a good job but he is far more valuable playing on the third tall/medium marking player and running off half back. Now that Maguire is back we will at least be able to play Fisher at CHB instead of FB. Gilbert would probably take a third tall up forward if you try to stretch our defence. I wouldn't be surprised to see Ferguson included if you play Perrie as well.

Assuming that you start with Ricciuto, Bock and Welsh as marking targets up forward, I think we'd line up like this

Maguire v Ricciuto
S.Fisher v Bock
Gilbert v Welsh

If you put McGregor in the forward line as well, then we'd probably play Leigh Fisher on Roo and Maguire on McGregor. We might also play Gram on Ricciuto or Welsh and just get him to run off his opponent.

Midfield match-ups
Baker v Thompson
Ball v Edwards
Thompson v Goodwin

Attard v McLeod

St Kilda have dropped two unfit flankers for two inside midfielders with gret endurance. Obviously they want to run Adelaide into the ground. If Perrie plays then you have 9 talls that can't be rotated through the midfield (Rutten, Stevens, McGregor, Massie, Bock, Welsh, Hudson, Maric).

The only St Kilda players that can't be rotated through the midfield are Gehrig, Maguire and Rix.

Harvey, Hayes, Montagna, Ball, Birss, Fiora, Gram, Thompson, Attard, Blake and Baker are all elite runners and should still be going strong well into the last quarter, which means guys like Dal Santo, X.Clarke, L.Fisher, Gilbert and Milne could get a fair bit of rest and should prevent another last quarter fade-out.

You will probably win the hitouts quite comfortably if Kosi rucks for most of the game, but no ruckman other than Cox can equal his input around the ground. Hudson is a good ball-winning ruckman, but doesn't damage teams like Kosi. Rix on the other hand, will probably win about 20 hitouts to no one and end up with a grand total of 5 disposals.

Realistically I don't think we will get within 5 goals of you. Usually we have a crap opening term, fight back a a bit in the 2nd and 3rd quarters (but never hit the front due to inaccuracy) and then completely fall away in the last quarter. Hopefully having some players who can actually stay on the field for more than 10 minutes without collapsing will help our final quarter, but the team is mentally weak and seems to think that they will lose even if we're 3 goals up with 15 minutes to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How crucial to the final result was the selection of Douglas and not Perrie.

Playing one KPP short cost the game IMO - Massie on Riewoldt was an unmitigated disaster of gigantic proportions.

A match losing selection IMO.

How crucial to the final result was the selection of Douglas and not Perrie.

Playing one KPP short cost the game IMO - Massie on Riewoldt was an unmitigated disaster of gigantic proportions.

A match losing selection IMO.

I thought we were fine until Big Ben got injured. Add that to Bock getting injured as well. No doubt that if fit one of Kenny or Bock would've gone back, when Massie started getting dominated. Ken Doll would've ended up having to stand G-Banger anyway.

If we were to go with a taller option, I would've gone with Gill over Perrie anyway.

Nothing to do with the injury. We were one tall short before the game. Once we had a tall injured we were two talls down.

The match was lost at the selection panel and compounded with some poor moves - eg Kenny going back instead of Bock.

Not a great night by Craig and co.

Nothing to do with the injury. We were one tall short before the game. Once we had a tall injured we were two talls down.

The match was lost at the selection panel and compounded with some poor moves - eg Kenny going back instead of Bock.

Not a great night by Craig and co.

let's just hope injuries aren't offered as an excuse. Tonight's game was very poorly managed from Thursday morning onwards.

please explain?

Perrie hasnt played for 6 weeks and must be underdone.

Gill has had 3 good games in the SANFL. He can mark and the conditions at the Telstra Dome would have been ideal for him. He is an unknown for St Kilda and why did we draft him if we wont play him in a game where we were a clear big man short?

Perrie hasnt played for 6 weeks and must be underdone.

Gill has had 3 good games in the SANFL. He can mark and the conditions at the Telstra Dome would have been ideal for him. He is an unknown for St Kilda and why did we draft him if we wont play him in a game where we were a clear big man short?

I'd love to see Gill get a game.

please explain?

Ian Perrie hasn't played since the game against Melbourne in Round 10. Including the one week break, thats 6 weeks on the sidelines with a pretty serious injury.

Coming back from injury he always struggles big time. If he'd played tonight, there would be probably be 4 threads on how bad he was.

I'm not a huge Nick Gill fan, but he has had consecutive good performances in the SANFL since returning from his own injury.

If we wanted to give Nick a game, this was the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Douglas, Perrie IN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back