Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Whose the guy between Sellers and Hunter?

Good question i was thinking that.

fu**, he looks like someone I should know.

I reckon Aphrodite might know.

He looks like someone I meet so it doing my head in not putting a name to it.

David Nettlefold (Life Membership recipient) & also involved with the Spirit Of Carlton.

Cool, now I want to know where I meet him.

He founded a large outdoor advertising company, has donated an enormous amount of free advertising space to the Blues over the years and heavily involved in the Spirit of Carlton and takes a hands on approach to looking after the welfare of our past players. One of the best blokes you will ever meet. Father of Michael Nettlefold who was a VFL player and administrator.

He founded a large outdoor advertising company, has donated an enormous amount of free advertising space to the Blues over the years and heavily involved in the Spirit of Carlton and takes a hands on approach to looking after the welfare of our past players. One of the best blokes you will ever meet. Father of Michael Nettlefold who was a VFL player and administrator.

Any relation of Bill Nettlefold?

I get the skill, I understand the courage, I love his commitment to the game, the spirit of the sport and carlton footy club - but did he also have to be so damned good looking - come on.......

Out of interest, what happened to us in the 1976 season? Minor premiers, and then out in the finals in straight sets. I’m old enough to remember a similar occurrence in 1994 well enough, but was only one year old in 1976.

So, did we get injuries? Or couldn’t we put it together during the finals? Or maybe Hawthorn and North caused us problems in the home and away season? I’d just be interested to know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we were minor premiers there was little (in no of wins) between Carl, Haw and Nth. I think that during the H&A we had the better of Haw and Nth (though Blight's kick after the siren at PP was in this season.) I don't recall if injuries played their part, though losing the coach days before round one wouldn't have helped. Our season's form was up and down: our five loses were in a row (included to that years' wooden spoon team) and the draw was in the last round. I have a memory of feeling we were lucky to get that draw, but was not impressed with how we played in the second semi. The scores don't show it but Hawthorn controlled the play all day. The Prelim was a bad quality game. (My father and I were sitting behind a goal, and late in the last qtr we were a point behind and one of our players has a set shot at goal. I yelled out something like "kick it to me" and my father turned to me and said if he did that it would be a behind. My reply was that neither team deserved to win, and my father nodded agreement. That player kicked it out on the full.) I walked away doubting North would win the Grand Final.

Out of interest, what happened to us in the 1976 season? Minor premiers, and then out in the finals in straight sets. I’m old enough to remember a similar occurrence in 1994 well enough, but was only one year old in 1976.

So, did we get injuries? Or couldn’t we put it together during the finals? Or maybe Hawthorn and North caused us problems in the home and away season? I’d just be interested to know.

Your username has reminded me of a great Princes Park moment, big Tarcz knocking the stuffing out of Bluey McKenna with almost the best shirtfront of all time in a game we went on to win narrowly against a West Coast side that only lost 2 other home and away games that year, in a season we were very ordinary.

While we were minor premiers there was little (in no of wins) between Carl, Haw and Nth. I think that during the H&A we had the better of Haw and Nth (though Blight's kick after the siren at PP was in this season.) I don't recall if injuries played their part, though losing the coach days before round one wouldn't have helped. Our season's form was up and down: our five loses were in a row (included to that years' wooden spoon team) and the draw was in the last round. I have a memory of feeling we were lucky to get that draw, but was not impressed with how we played in the second semi. The scores don't show it but Hawthorn controlled the play all day. The Prelim was a bad quality game. (My father and I were sitting behind a goal, and late in the last qtr we were a point behind and one of our players has a set shot at goal. I yelled out something like "kick it to me" and my father turned to me and said if he did that it would be a behind. My reply was that neither team deserved to win, and my father nodded agreement. That player kicked it out on the full.) I walked away doubting North would win the Grand Final.

Thanks so much for this Bort. What a great rundown! I was intrigued, because I imagine this would be one of the very few seasons where we were minor premiers and went out in straight sets. The way you write it up reminds me a little of 1993 (shudder). We were minor premiers, but I never really felt we had Essendon’s measure. It’s similar to how you’ve written about us against Hawthorn in that season.

At the risk of stretching the friendship, another season I know little about is 1978. We lost to Collingwood in the first semi, a pretty unusual event given our finals’ record against them. Do you remember much about that one?

Thanks so much for this Bort. What a great rundown! I was intrigued, because I imagine this would be one of the very few seasons where we were minor premiers and went out in straight sets. The way you write it up reminds me a little of 1993 (shudder). We were minor premiers, but I never really felt we had Essendon’s measure. It’s similar to how you’ve written about us against Hawthorn in that season.

At the risk of stretching the friendship, another season I know little about is 1978. We lost to Collingwood in the first semi, a pretty unusual event given our finals’ record against them. Do you remember much about that one?
In 1978 we came from almost rock bottom (1-5 before Jezza took over as Captain-Coach). It was a fantastic effort to make the finals & chalk up a win against the Cats in the EF. We had been up for quite some time, so I reckon we were cooked when we met the Magpies in the SF. Maybe if we had the double chance (we lost to the Saints in the last round) we could have gone a bit further, but I don't think we would have troubled either Hawthorn or North in the GF.

In 1978 we came from almost rock bottom (1-5 before Jezza took over as Captain-Coach). It was a fantastic effort to make the finals & chalk up a win against the Cats in the EF. We had been up for quite some time, so I reckon we were cooked when we met the Magpies in the SF. Maybe if we had the double chance (we lost to the Saints in the last round) we could have gone a bit further, but I don't think we would have troubled either Hawthorn or North in the GF.
That's how I remember the 1978 season. Though that season was the foundation for 1979, so it wasn't all bad. (BTW Tarczonandjane, in 1993 Essendon were Minor Premiers, getting there on percentage.)

That's how I remember the 1978 season. Though that season was the foundation for 1979, so it wasn't all bad. (BTW Tarczonandjane, in 1993 Essendon were Minor Premiers, getting there on percentage.)
Oh did they really Bort? Thanks for correcting me. I think I have PTSD from that season and have tried to block it from my mind. I recently saw a YouTube collection of what the author declared were the fifty greatest goals of all time. Michael Long from the 93 Grand Final made it in there. I spent the next three mins of the compilation pondering that a) Long clearly ran too far; and b) that if Silvagni didn’t touch it, then he was having the greatest shocker of all time (how many times would we have seen him touch similar shots on goal?). Nearly thirty years on, and I still can’t stomach that game.

Oh did they really Bort? Thanks for correcting me. I think I have PTSD from that season and have tried to block it from my mind. I recently saw a YouTube collection of what the author declared were the fifty greatest goals of all time. Michael Long from the 93 Grand Final made it in there. I spent the next three mins of the compilation pondering that a) Long clearly ran too far; and b) that if Silvagni didn’t touch it, then he was having the greatest shocker of all time (how many times would we have seen him touch similar shots on goal?). Nearly thirty years on, and I still can’t stomach that game.
Funny old game. Reckon if you had told me pre game that Sticks would kick 7 I'd have thought that we were all but home. Never were really in it though.

In 1976 we won our first 7 games, lost the next 5 and then finished the season with 9 wins in a row and a draw in the final round. I don't think any other team in VFL/AFL history have lost that many games in a row and still finished top. We did not fall below 3rd on the ladder at any stage that season.

From memory that mid season slump was caused by a loss of form, injuries to Walls and Jezza and the problem we had in the mid 1970's - our inability to handle wet conditions.

We won both games against Hawthorn by more than 5 goals and our big 50 point win against North at Arden St late in the season was our 9th win in a row. I remember the day after we beat North a journo in the paper saying that the premiership cup may as well be given to Carlton now because the finals would be one sided in our favour.

Unfortunately that was to be our last win for the season. Footscray then gave us considerable trouble in that drawn game even though it was at Princes Park and we could not get going until the last quarter. The last shot at goal for the game from Tony Pickett was touched on the line by a doggies player. Had we won that drawn game Melbourne would have made the finals for the first time since 1964 but the demons had to wait another 11 years.

Our percentage on the ladder was at least 15% higher than both the Hawks and the Kangas. We lost to the Hawks in the second semi in the wet at Waverley but was hopeful of getting another crack at them on a dry surface on grand final day.

As a kid I thought that Jezza and the boys were unbeatable footy gods during that winning streak late in the season especially after our big win at Arden St, so I was shattered when we lost the prelim by 1 point.

Something a bit different for this thread. I dug out this pretty kitsch piece of Blues paraphernalia today.

Must be Big Nick in my opinion, done in the classic style of Weg.

I think a mate gave me this a long time ago, but I don't recall exactly.

On the back it has written "Hand painted by A.M.T." I somehow don't think they made their living as an artist long term....

20220307_220839.jpg .

Something a bit different for this thread. I dug out this pretty kitsch piece of Blues paraphernalia today.

Must be Big Nick in my opinion, done in the classic style of Weg.

I think a mate gave me this a long time ago, but I don't recall exactly.

On the back it has written "Hand painted by A.M.T." I somehow don't think they made their living as an artist long term....

View attachment 1340470.
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back