Strategy Draft 2018 - rookie picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Meh must have seen something in him... shouldn't matter too much what punt we take in the rookie draft. Let's face it, if someone was genuinely good they would have gone in the main draft and while I don't think we picked perfectly I reckon we did ok there.

So I just went through Tobin Cox's entire year in the Sanfl. Some stats/figures:

Games played:
Seniors: 2
Reserves: 13

Total goals (across seniors and reserves): 23 goals, 12 behinds.

Averages per game:
Disposals: 14.6
Kicks: 8.9
Handballs: 5.7
Marks: 2.7
Tackles: 3.9
Goals: 1.5
Behinds: 0.8

Best performance was 22 disposals (15k,7h), 5 marks, 5 tackles and 6 goals 1 behind. But that was in round 15 against us at Sanfl reserves level, so I'm putting an asterisk against that performance.

In his two games at senior level, he didn't get more than 8 disposals and a goal. Only 1 mark and 1 tackle between those two games too.

Someone mentioned above that he's carrying a bit too much weight at the moment, and used to have more speed and agility. Maybe the club sees something in Tobin if he can lose some weight and regain some speed and agility. Otherwise, I'm not sure why we made this pick. I'll reserve judgement for now.

UFEoFLP.gif

Half of the players in the 2012 grand final were rookie listed players . These are not cheap spots to throw away.

We need talls talls and more talls cycling through our list drafting jake neade lights and average sanfl players will leave us as we are now , battling for relevancy

The club is obviously targeting character types, Tobin has the same attitude towards footy as our other draftees, just had an interrupted draft year. The clubs obviously picking more hard workers, some have elite talent, others might not. But i would rather a crop of determined 18 year olds trying to prove themselves over people who have coasted on talent.

Know nothing about Tobin and good luck to him.
But I think rookie list is for speculative talls.
We have 4 spots. Keep it stacked with 1 tall back 1 tall forward 1 ruck plus an empty to retain 1. Keep cycling through every couple of years till you hit something worth it.

We have 4 spots. Keep it stacked with 1 tall back 1 tall forward 1 ruck plus an empty to retain 1. Keep cycling through every couple of years till you hit something worth it.
I agree with this but historically we’ve rarely used the rookie draft like this - Pete Ladhams is one recent exception.

Na, one of the most successful rookie lists we've had in a long time was the year we went out and got natural footballers. We grabbed Snelling, Hewett, Houston and Mitchell. All hit the ground running averaging near 20 touches and putting pressure on the senior players.

The rookie list should just be filled with the best footballers you can find, and/or players with elite traits. Hence why I hoped Tobin would have electric speed, but it appears he doesn't, so he is a weird pick.

Ultimately though, the point is the rookie list might carry a ruck, and other key positions, but we should just be giving the best natural footballers the chance there and seeing what happens.

Na, one of the most successful rookie lists we've had in a long time was the year we went out and got natural footballers. We grabbed Snelling, Hewett, Houston and Mitchell. All hit the ground running averaging near 20 touches and putting pressure on the senior players.

The rookie list should just be filled with the best footballers you can find, and/or players with elite traits. Hence why I hoped Tobin would have electric speed, but it appears he doesn't, so he is a weird pick.

Ultimately though, the point is the rookie list might carry a ruck, and other key positions, but we should just be giving the best natural footballers the chance there and seeing what happens.
I think he was quick was the runner for glenelg in the sanfl sprint didnt even know they had 1 lol. I know teams dont always put up there fastest but it had the caption blink and you'll miss him so fingers crossed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we used those 2 late national draft picks and stole Pudney and Frederick as Cat B rookies I was half expecting us to pass on this pick to keep it open for a mature aged player under the new rules.

I don’t know much about Tobin and I get that it seems an unusual pick immediately after Woodcock but it has always been the Geoff Parker way to max out on one player type per draft. I’m comfortable with that in the basis we will use our early picks next year on talls.

Anyway, welcome Tobin. Anyone described as tough has a place at Port Adelaide.

When we used those 2 late national draft picks and stole Pudney and Frederick as Cat B rookies I was half expecting us to pass on this pick to keep it open for a mature aged player under the new rules.

I don’t know much about Tobin and I get that it seems an unusual pick immediately after Woodcock but it has always been the Geoff Parker way to max out on one player type per draft. I’m comfortable with that in the basis we will use our early picks next year on talls.

Anyway, welcome Tobin. Anyone described as tough has a place at Port Adelaide.

It has been his way and when has it worked for us.

I hope Tobin has a good crack and will back him all the way, he is a part of the Port family after all.

Why are we taking another short forward at this pick though? When there are quick and/or tall players that fill a greater need?

Tobin will be behind Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Woodcock, Johnson, S.Gray, R.Gray, Patmore, Farrell and, to be honest, any of the midfielders like Atley and Drew. So what is the point of this pick? What’s his chance of getting a run? Have we done him a diservice by picking him up? Surely we take a Randanovic or Waters or speculative tall here???

It's been like christmas day. Got the big ticket items early, a couple of late unexpected cool treats then aunty Joyce comes in right at the end with the socks and undies that leave you feeling a bit meh
The good thing was you didn’t have to open Aunties gift as you knew what it was by just holding it.
Tough gig for a kid to smile while your thinking I don’t want this crap.

The club is obviously targeting character types, Tobin has the same attitude towards footy as our other draftees, just had an interrupted draft year. The clubs obviously picking more hard workers, some have elite talent, others might not. But i would rather a crop of determined 18 year olds trying to prove themselves over people who have coasted on talent.

well said!

Parker Cripps Anderson been working their butts off observing potential draftees and assessing them with a fine toothed comb. Then putting them in order of wants and needs. Our talent scouts see much more footage and live games than any of us possibly could. There must be a reason Tobin was chosen. A couple of Glenelg mates rate him highly too.
There will be some busts as with all drafts but I am hopeful of a few gems being thoroughly polished by Schoey Monty and Bass.

Yep. Ollie hopefully will have a squad of positive dedicated team mates aiming to get the very best out of themselves

Under the new rules, i think leaving a rookie spot open would make sense. Wait till the midseason draft, and you get to choose the most promising player in the country who has been overlooked in a draft. There is always a bolter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft 2018 - rookie picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back