Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll feel no guilt about getting Sanders and pick 3
Ditto
And Had they just given us the first round priority pick last year then I wouldn’t be expecting much this year

But since they ****ed us last year with some bs compo then it makes sense this year to get a big compo

I was really asking if we could consider all the players who have been in our NGA (Sanders, McKercher, Callinan, Shoenmaker (has he been North NGA?) as able to be bid inside the top 40…

vs…

just prelisting Sanders.
Interesting that in his interview Sanders talked about how great it would be if he could be at the same afl club as his mate McKercher. Wonder if he knows something there similar to the George and Harry interview a few days out from the draft.

I’m reading into Todd’s slip of the tongue response about winning 11 games in 4 years: ‘when are you looking at that?’
Sounding like a response to AFL questioning.

Some pretty honest and ruthless questions asked from you guys which we’ve been asking all year on here

Good ol' Mark 'Duff' Duffield on WA SEN radio reckons the AFL would be looking backwards not forward if they gave North a PP. 'Simpkin, LDU, Phillips, Sheezel & Wardlaw - in 3 years time, you would pick North's midfield over the Eagles midfield every single time...'

Yes, leaving aside how in WA every single footy-related event must be related to the Eagles somehow, his argument that PP's should be awarded on future projections, not current performance, is so ridiculous you could see the AFL adopting it. Give them even more smoke and mirrors to hide behind while they whip up whatever suits their agenda.
It amuses the hell out of me all this discussion about our midfield by the media. Yeah i wonder why we have so many names they can reel off. Perhaps because we havent drafted in another position for 5 years 🤣 can we compare backlines instead? 😂

Surely our assistance this year will continue the two extra rookie spots and Brady was just playing a straight bat in that interview. Would be crazy to take that off us now. I'd actually argue that it should be extended further to four extra rookie spots. It's really just a way to retain extra experience that would otherwise be delisted, so it doesn't hurt any other teams.

It should actually be the first cab off the rank in terms of assistance to bottom placed teams. West Coast aren't deserving of any assistance yet, but if they gave them a couple of extra rookie spots? Meh. Might need to put some parameters around it so that teams only use the extra spots for experienced players, but you would think clubs would do that anyway as they would see the benefit in support to youth and stopping blowouts in the Reserves as opposed to taking a low % punt on a low rookie pick or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely our assistance this year will continue the two extra rookie spots and Brady was just playing a straight bat in that interview. Would be crazy to take that off us now. I'd actually argue that it should be extended further to four extra rookie spots. It's really just a way to retain extra experience that would otherwise be delisted, so it doesn't hurt any other teams.

It should actually be the first cab off the rank in terms of assistance to bottom placed teams. West Coast aren't deserving of any assistance yet, but if they gave them a couple of extra rookie spots? Meh. Might need to put some parameters around it so that teams only use the extra spots for experienced players, but you would think clubs would do that anyway as they would see the benefit in support to youth and stopping blowouts in the Reserves as opposed to taking a low % punt on a low rookie pick or two.

More to the point, all AFL clubs should have their squad sizes returned to what they were pre-covid. The needs to cost cut there are now gone although there's probably no coincidence squad sizes and cost cutting was pushed upon the clubs 2-3 years before expansion was on the agenda again.

I stupidly ventured over to the mainboard (gave myself a few uppercuts after for doing so), and read the North priority pick thread. What I found amazing (well not really) was just how ironic and hypocritical posters from other clubs are. These posters claiming North don't deserve a PP because you know, we are at fault here and its all our doing. The same posters that had first round PP's provided to their teams, for being less crap than us.

So after reading the melts on the mainboard about whether we should get a first round priority pick, I honestly hope we are provided a kings ransom from the AFL. Can you imagine how triggered supporter from other clubs will be? Just the thought of that will make this year worth it. However, like many, I don't trust the AFL, but if we can somehow get Sanders as pre-selected player, get pick 3 from McKay (pending him leaving), then we would be turbo charging our rebuild.

Now I would be ecstatic if we get Sanders as a pre-selected player and get pick 3 for McKay, however, if we get that and somehow get additional assistance, then I am going to strut around like a Carlton supporter who's team has just won the first 10 games of the season. Yep I am going to be that obnoxious.

* if the AFL twitter and website is posting this sort of stuff about Sanders and North, could it mean it’s…
season 7 GIF

In 2019 the Gold Coast suns were given 3 years worth of draft concessions. This included the expansion of their NGA and the ability to prelist any player who came through their academies (including the expanded area) for 3 years.

They were also given picks 1&20 that year, pick 11 the following and pick 19 the year after (subsequently retracted I believe).

What people are talking about here is the potential for us to get:
  • the ability to preselect 1 player.
  • A potential upgrade of free agency compensation should the McKay deal not trigger band 1 compo anyway (which is it possible that it would).

Because they have a points calculator we can actually work out what it would be worth to us.

the preselection thing is a push, both clubs got it so it equals out, well kinda, if we only get 1 player they got 3, but Sanders way more touted than the rest.

If (and it is a big if) McKay only hits band 2 compensation then we would net a pick directly after our natural second selection. this would be pick 21, if that gets upgraded to band 1 then it is the equivalent of pick 11.

So we would get Sanders and equivalent points to pick 11.

this idea that we would be getting 3 for McKay is flawed. It may be the pick that we receive for him, but reality is if his contract triggers band 1 compo anyway there is no part of it that is draft assistance. That is a charade. If the contract triggers band 2 then there would be assistance in getting 3 but it is not just getting 3 on its own, we get a pick/points upgrade to the value of pick 11. While at the same time losing one of two defenders on our list with a mature body and the ability to play on true KPFs, compounded of course by the fact that the other defender is out for a year with an ACL.

I'm still astounded that so many here have bought into the AFL media conditioned idea that a Band One compensation for Ben McKay is somehow part of an assistance package.

He's 25 and if he is offered enough ($800K) by another club, that's more than likely enough to trigger a Band One compensation outright. The public suggestion that the AFL would 'bump it up' to achieve this outcome is designed to:

a) avoid having to give us a PP, and/or;​
b) soften resistance by other clubs and their supporters.​

The current narrative also helps *essendon who may not have to offer as much salary, if they believe the AFL will give us Band One regardless.

McKay free agency compensation is a separate issue to any assistance.

Four years of being abysmal deserves a PP, after our first pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back