Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

How do North generate wins with only Corr, Bonnar and Dawson as KD's in 2024?

We'll be back here talking Priority Picks again.

Rewarding North to "let go" of Mackay is counterproductive to them being competitive next year.

In 2019 the Gold Coast suns were given 3 years worth of draft concessions. This included the expansion of their NGA and the ability to prelist any player who came through their academies (including the expanded area) for 3 years.

They were also given picks 1&20 that year, pick 11 the following and pick 19 the year after (subsequently retracted I believe).

What people are talking about here is the potential for us to get:
  • the ability to preselect 1 player.
  • A potential upgrade of free agency compensation should the McKay deal not trigger band 1 compo anyway (which is it possible that it would).

Because they have a points calculator we can actually work out what it would be worth to us.

the preselection thing is a push, both clubs got it so it equals out, well kinda, if we only get 1 player they got 3, but Sanders way more touted than the rest.

If (and it is a big if) McKay only hits band 2 compensation then we would net a pick directly after our natural second selection. this would be pick 21, if that gets upgraded to band 1 then it is the equivalent of pick 11.

So we would get Sanders and equivalent points to pick 11.

this idea that we would be getting 3 for McKay is flawed. It may be the pick that we receive for him, but reality is if his contract triggers band 1 compo anyway there is no part of it that is draft assistance. That is a charade. If the contract triggers band 2 then there would be assistance in getting 3 but it is not just getting 3 on its own, we get a pick/points upgrade to the value of pick 11. While at the same time losing one of two defenders on our list with a mature body and the ability to play on true KPFs, compounded of course by the fact that the other defender is out for a year with an ACL.

Band 1 is after first pick. Band 2 is end of first round. Pick 11 would not come into play, it's 3 or 19.

Rewarding North to "let go" of Mackay is counterproductive to them being competitive next year.

Anyone who takes a long view with the goal of building a team capable of long term success isn’t too concerned about wins in 2024. It’s 2025 and beyond that are important for wins.

Weird to come to the North Board Draft Assistance thread to be salty. I'd find it less weird if your club hadn't benefited from Draft Assistance in the past.

A. Your assuming we won't pick up a KPD or 2 to cover.

B. That would be a concern if our long term goal was a few more wins in 2024.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Anyone who takes a long view with the goal of building a team capable of long term success isn’t too concerned about wins in 2024. It’s 2025 and beyond that are important for wins.

This is similar to how I view it, 1 step back 2 steps forward. I like McKay and he's got an elite set of hands, but he plays his best footy only when he's by himself (No Taz or Griff), he noticeably declines when he's not the main guy.

Not allowing a single inside 50 against, duh.

Band 1 is after first pick. Band 2 is end of first round. Pick 11 would not come into play, it's 3 or 19.

I thought band 2 was the pick directly after your second round pick not end of first. I was incorrect. You're right its end of first.

I wasn't saying we would get pick 11. I was saying that it was the points difference was between pick 3 and a pick directly after our natural second.
so this:
1690424411668.png

based on what you've said is actually band 2 compensation the calculator comes out this:

1690424335885.png

the pick upgrade would be the assistance part which is the equivalent of the surplus.

Because we would be getting compensation for free agency regardless of draft assistance.

All good, spoke to Brady and he told me we’re picking up Curtin with 3.

Wouldn't be surprised if there is some assistance in the form of extra soft cap or something along those lines, based on Vineys comments that its not just about players but making sure the club is well run

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if there is some assistance in the form of extra soft cap or something along those lines, based on Vineys comments that its not just about players but making sure the club is well run
IMO we are probably owed that regardless due to the dragged out handling of the Hawthorn bullshit.

In 2019 the Gold Coast suns were given 3 years worth of draft concessions. This included the expansion of their NGA and the ability to prelist any player who came through their academies (including the expanded area) for 3 years.

They were also given picks 1&20 that year, pick 11 the following and pick 19 the year after (subsequently retracted I believe).

What people are talking about here is the potential for us to get:
  • the ability to preselect 1 player.
  • A potential upgrade of free agency compensation should the McKay deal not trigger band 1 compo anyway (which is it possible that it would).

Because they have a points calculator we can actually work out what it would be worth to us.

the preselection thing is a push, both clubs got it so it equals out, well kinda, if we only get 1 player they got 3, but Sanders way more touted than the rest.

If (and it is a big if) McKay only hits band 2 compensation then we would net a pick directly after our natural second selection. this would be pick 21, if that gets upgraded to band 1 then it is the equivalent of pick 11.

So we would get Sanders and equivalent points to pick 11.

this idea that we would be getting 3 for McKay is flawed. It may be the pick that we receive for him, but reality is if his contract triggers band 1 compo anyway there is no part of it that is draft assistance. That is a charade. If the contract triggers band 2 then there would be assistance in getting 3 but it is not just getting 3 on its own, we get a pick/points upgrade to the value of pick 11. While at the same time losing one of two defenders on our list with a mature body and the ability to play on true KPFs, compounded of course by the fact that the other defender is out for a year with an ACL.
The AFL didn't retract any of their picks, the Suns on traded the 2020 and 2021 picks.

Worth noting, we finished below the Suns in 2020 and 2021. I think there were vague suggestions about us enquiring about assistance in 2021 which was obviously not forthcoming, so despite finishing below the Suns for the second time in a row, for the second year in a row we still had our picks, from round 2 onwards, pushed out by assistance they were still receiving and at the same time being denied assistance ourselves.

But this year, the AFL and everyone else kicks up a stink about the integrity of the draft when considering any assistance to us, in the same year the Suns are going to walk away with 3 top 20 academy players just because!

How is any of that relevant to McKay leaving and North getting FA compensation? Answer: It's not. If the AFL want North more competitive faster the solution is to provide them with on field and off field resources to do so.

Interesting quote - “The club’s operations are inept, the leadership doesn’t exist on field, the leadership off-field is questionable.

First time I think he has had a crack at the off-field leadership in this way. Who is he aiming that at? President, board, football management?
Interesting considering Sonja has recently let him back in & gifted him the Clarkson exclusive.

Interesting quote - “The club’s operations are inept, the leadership doesn’t exist on field, the leadership off-field is questionable.

First time I think he has had a crack at the off-field leadership in this way. Who is he aiming that at? President, board, football management?
Interesting take. Club with no debt, modern expanded facilities, successful women’s program and solid VFL program giving young players a good platform, a young Aboriginal man guided away from anti social behaviour; all achieved with the men’s coach hounded from his role by Hawthorn-AFL ineptitude, our best mid in the last 10 years supported through two bouts of cancer, the President recovers from cancer.

I’ve probably forgotten something but inept doesn’t seem to describe the current administration

If there's one thing I can sympathize with oppo fans melting on the main board about, it's the completely f***ed AFL system around compensation.

They've created a system that actively prevents us from utilizing our cap space to bring in experienced free agents to bolster our list in 2024. We aren't in the market for any decent FA's because we know that will destroy any chance of getting Pick 3 for McKay.

It's absolutely backwards, but you can't blame our list managers for maximizing the value we can get, especially if we can pick up Sanders for free.

Having said that, the tears on the main board are an absolute laugh to read through.

If there's one thing I can sympathize with oppo fans melting on the main board about, it's the completely f***ed AFL system around compensation.

They've created a system that actively prevents us from utilizing our cap space to bring in experienced free agents to bolster our list in 2024. We aren't in the market for any decent FA's because we know that will destroy any chance of getting Pick 3 for McKay.

It's absolutely backwards, but you can't blame our list managers for maximizing the value we can get, especially if we can pick up Sanders for free.

Having said that, the tears on the main board are an absolute laugh to read through.
Free agency was sold to supporters on the basis that it would help with equalisation. In reality, it has helped strong clubs pilfer from struggling clubs. It is anti-competitive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back