Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee fair bit of sooking going on in here. We did this to ourselves remember? We now have 6 first round picks in 2 years. Plenty we can do with that! I think I actually rather this outcome to the previously rumour pick 11 and single future end of first round.

Have to start moving those end of first round picks never year to improve this years hand.

Would WC accept pick 2, 19 and future 19 for Reid?

We actually have 7, as we have our natural F1 pick.

19 PP
F1 PP (#19)
F1 PP (#20)
F1 NM.

With F2 NM likely being top 25 also.

That's potentially 8 top 25 players in 2 drafts.

At least the AFL statement regarding the F1 2024 picks allow us to use them this year...

The AFL reserves the right to review the 2024 draft selections at the end of next season, however the club will be able to use the picks in trades this year.
That reeks of the AFL parenting North.

‘You’ve got 5 minutes to pick what toy you want from the store otherwise we’re going home’

Ah nice.

Not great leverage to trade them if they can disappear.

Nah zero chance they disappear if they are traded on otherwise no club will deal with us.

They are also concreted end of first round so clubs know the exact value as opposed to being attached to our hypothetical ladder position.

The AFL 100% wants at least one of them traded.

I think the point is if we improve a lot next year then we don't really need two more picks.

It's designed to strengthen us this year without further diluting the draft order, which is fair enough. If we win 6-8 games next year then there's no justification for us to be getting more picks in 2024.

Yeah. It's the AFL telling us to get creative with our trading and drafting now otherwise they'll give up trying to help us anymore.

Why won't we get value for them? If we trade them, the AFL cannot take them away from another club.
No, but knowing the Afl they will say that "we have decided to withdraw the 2024 F1st picks we gave you and seeing as you had elected to trade them you now owe us that amount in points , so therefore we will withdraw picks *, * , which total up to the amount of points that is owed; have a nice day.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Commission has today approved an assistance package to be provided to the North Melbourne Football Club.

Recommendations were ratified by the AFL Commission in its meeting today in Melbourne and were presented to the 18 club presidents meeting on Monday afternoon.

North Melbourne made a request to the AFL for special assistance to help the club improve its on-field performance.

The AFL Commission determined that North Melbourne will receive the following assistance package over the next two years:

• One (1) end of AFL National Draft first round selection

• Two (2) end of AFL National Draft first round selections
  • An extension of two (2) additional rookie list spots for the 2024 season (previously granted for the 2023 season)
Incoming AFL CEO Andrew Dillon said the two-year support package will help to ensure North Melbourne returns to being competitive on the field in the AFL competition.

"North Melbourne has faced considerable challenges in recent years having not finished higher than 17th on the AFL ladder in the four seasons since 2020. The club presented to the AFL on how assistance can help the club potentially improve its on-field performance," Mr Dillon said.

"The AFL and football fans want a strong competition. Ensuring North Melbourne is competitive on the field and can build strength across its organisation, in the short term and in a sustainable way, is important for both the club and the broader competition.

"Under the leadership of President Sonja Hood, CEO Jennifer Watt and the club's board, the AFL is confident that North Melbourne is heading in the right direction. After assessing the club's position, the special assistance package can help the club deliver on its strategy for overall improvement in its football program and give greater confidence to staff, players and supporters."

While the package is set for two years, the AFL Commission reserves the right to review special assistance picks in 2024 should the club materially increase its on-field performance in the 2024 season.

Personally think one or both of the futures will be used to try and dislodge a player.... as someone said dawson was a late first, we need a couple similar...

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We will have definitely talked with the afl about how we use those picks. Fully expect either 2+ futures for 1 or 14+19+ futures for GC 4 as Sphynx says above.
I suspect it's backward designed.

The AFL has facilitated a high draft pick to us, and announced the 'cost' to be this package.

GC don't really need points.

TBH, 14 + the 2 x future end of R1 picks might be a preferable deal to the Dogs.

TBH, 14 + 19 + 20 is 3000 points = Pick 1, with the added bonus of the PP being the first 2 picks of night 2 in 2024.

They won't get a better offer than that for Pick 5.

I'd almost be asking for change tbh.

Assuming we finish bottom 2 again next year you would think we will be right back asking for more assistance.

If draft picks were not the only way to help us improve was there anything about an increase in the soft cap for development coaches or something?

If we are bottom two next yr with what we have on our list plus what we have avail to use.... it's not the afl that can help us

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We absolutely would have taken a player with 11 with no Sanders.

But I agree.

3 x picks inside of 20 is plenty of ammunition when you factor in we have 2024 R1 & R2 picks as well as likely 2,3,14.

We effectively have 7 x R1 picks + another top 25 pick (R2 24') and what everyone would consider 3 x top 5 picks up our sleeve.
And we have B George, who is like another first rounder this year anyway...

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back