Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why won't we get value for them? If we trade them, the AFL cannot take them away from another club.
Because clubs will know we have to trade them or risk losing them. They don't have to go hard with their offers, and the picks aren't in a spot that will trigger a bidding war.

I struggle to get my head around what "review next year" actually means here. So if we win too many games next year the AFL will strip us of TWO first round picks? Isn't that encouraging us to lose? Don't they discourage tanking? What's the threshold to keep them?

My only answer is that they want us to trade them now so they don't have to deal with that.

I think the point is if we improve a lot next year then we don't really need two more picks.

It's designed to strengthen us this year without further diluting the draft order, which is fair enough. If we win 6-8 games next year then there's no justification for us to be getting more picks in 2024.

You could guarantee we are trading those picks. We should be bullish about next year and expect to put us in a position to have them reviewed due to better performance.

I’m confused about the review part. What’s there to review if the picks have already been traded?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In AFL lingo it means use them now or lose them.

I reckon there's already a deal involving one of the future first that the AFL are counting on, and we will most likely keep the other until next trade period. It's more palatable letting us keep a single end of first (if we improve) than two.

You could guarantee we are trading those picks. We should be bullish about next year and expect to put us in a position to have them reviewed due to better performance.
Spot on. If we have a promising year next year - which could easily happen, the AFL will make those picks evaporate in a flash as other clubs whinge and whine.

At least the AFL statement regarding the F1 2024 picks allow us to use them this year...

The AFL reserves the right to review the 2024 draft selections at the end of next season, however the club will be able to use the picks in trades this year.

Encouragement to get cracking and improve asap for mine.

Gee fair bit of sooking going on in here. We did this to ourselves remember? We now have 6 first round picks in 2 years. Plenty we can do with that! I think I actually rather this outcome to the previously rumoured pick 11 and single future end of first round.

Have to start moving those end of first round picks next year to improve this years hand.

Would WC accept pick 2, 19 and future 19 for Reid?

Why would it be 1 this year 2 next year? It should have been the opposite.
Interesting isn't it? And most likely, not an accident. Maybe a combination of being able to strongly encourage us to trade two picks with the caveat of them being reviewed otherwise, along with the expert opinion that this year's draft isn't all that deep.

Gee fair bit of sooking going on in here. We did this to ourselves remember? We now have 6 first round picks in 2 years. Plenty we can do with that! I think I actually rather this outcome to the previously rumour pick 11 and single future end of first round.

Have to start moving those end of first round picks never year to improve this years hand.

Would WC accept pick 2, 19 and future 19 for Reid?
Sorry to intrude but I would have thought the late 1st rounders would be given to Nth so you have the leverage to go after the Suns pick and get your man Sanders rather than chase Reid?

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy Draft assistance 2023 [Twomey: NMFC get #19 in 2023, x2 end of 1st rd picks in 2024, and x2 extra rookie list spots in 2024; no Sanders/#11]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back