Draft Camp Invitees and State Screenings

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Draft Camp
Original quote from Mick:
Victoria 42,WA 17, QLD 7, SA 5, TAS 4, NT 2, NSW 1.

Does anyone know who the NSW guy is?

My mate at at school runs 15.5 or something gilly.

The NSW player would have to be Bird, one would think
Bird is tied to the Swans through the scholarship scheme, I would doubt that 3 other clubs would nominate him if they have no chance to get him.
Could be wrong though.

foj1 mentioned earlier in this thread that Tony Armstrong from Calder was invited, so I suspect technically he's the NSW/ACT rep.

Youre right and much to the chagrin of the Cannons I suspect who have had him since he was a 16 year old. His Assumption College form has improved as the year has gone on and he played pretty well for the Cannons a fortnight ago. Unfortunately for him has broken his arm when a spot in the Cannons team looked likely.

Youre right and much to the chagrin of the Cannons I suspect who have had him since he was a 16 year old. His Assumption College form has improved as the year has gone on and he played pretty well for the Cannons a fortnight ago. Unfortunately for him has broken his arm when a spot in the Cannons team looked likely.

Do you know if he broke his arm in the APS vs AGS game?? I saw the impact and thought to myself, that could have been nasty....he seemed to play on though which was a pretty gutsy effort, and I thought maybe he just had numbed it.

HHHHHHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm, so the only NSW/ACT player invited to DC is a guy playing full time in Vic. I wonder, and this year NSW/ACT won Div 2 and still only get 1 up.

your just a pest Kirky!!!look most of the players were on a scholarship from an AFL Club under the sydney scholarship system , therefore leaving plenty of country kids out, as AFL Clubs push for there players to be selected in the State Side...Those on scholarships cannot be selected for Draft or State Screening..make sense?!!!

Such as Craig Bird and Taylor Walker who would have been monte's for the draft camp or SS if not tied to Sydney and Adelaide repsectively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

foj1 mentioned earlier in this thread that Tony Armstrong from Calder was invited, so I suspect technically he's the NSW/ACT rep.

Armstrong is a very good player, i saw him play very well in his AGS games along with Sheehan. He is tall and athletic and not that suprised he got a gig at DC. Only problem is his work ethic during games when he is payed close attention. Playes alot like A.Goodes as he is a tallish wing/midfielder

I'm collating a list of invitees to the DC: it should be on this page with the Heading of Draft Camp Invitees: The List or some such thing.

If you can add something to the list I urge you to do so.

your just a pest Kirky!!!look most of the players were on a scholarship from an AFL Club under the sydney scholarship system , therefore leaving plenty of country kids out, as AFL Clubs push for there players to be selected in the State Side...Those on scholarships cannot be selected for Draft or State Screening..make sense?!!!
Makes plenty of sense. So I will go back to my original question, guys in NSW/ACT without a sydney scolarship (as you call it) are the only decent players and the rest may as well head south and not north?
Also the state wins Div 2 this year and NO ONE but scholship players want to be looked at, get real, there were 12 out of 25 with scholarships, what about the rest?

because they were a very evn side with no outstanding players other then Craig Bird!!!
No other players had outstanding attributes to be considered

Makes plenty of sense. So I will go back to my original question, guys in NSW/ACT without a sydney scolarship (as you call it) are the only decent players and the rest may as well head south and not north?
Also the state wins Div 2 this year and NO ONE but scholship players want to be looked at, get real, there were 12 out of 25 with scholarships, what about the rest?
What would your opinion be if NSW/ACT had three invitees (the other two being Walker and Bird)?

I think they should essentially be counted because realistically they would have earned a Draft Camp.

because they were a very evn side with no outstanding players other then Craig Bird!!!
No other players had outstanding attributes to be considered

Its also a player-type thing. NSW had a batch of solidly built rovers and they are about as popular as an Iraqi in Arkansas. Keen, Woods and Simon Davies are never really going to cause much fuss. McGregor, Stroobants and McIntyre are tiny. Breust, Reed and Kanga-man are too young.

Walker, Bird and Reed are the good ones. James Wilsen and Simon Drum might be outside considerations.

Its also a player-type thing. NSW had a batch of solidly built rovers and they are about as popular as an Iraqi in Arkansas. Keen, Woods and Simon Davies are never really going to cause much fuss. McGregor, Stroobants and McIntyre are tiny. Breust, Reed and Kanga-man are too young.

Walker, Bird and Reed are the good ones. James Wilsen and Simon Drum might be outside considerations.
(All these guys have scholarships)
Which backs up my original question, that players south of the scholarship line need just as much development. NSW/ACT are not going to give it to you, so look to an alternative, go the the state that gets the most reps, (42 from Vic?), there development and player numbers mean you have to improve or you wither on the vine.
You would still play for your state but be exposed to better competition constantly, either making you better as a player of you will fall by the wayside. If you improve then that it turn will improve the standard of the state team.
NT is the same, as you said you only got 2 and 1 lives in Vic.

Dean Terlich didn't fire in the Carnival but has a State Screening invitation I believe. As good as any coming out of NSW this year in my opinion.

Draft Camp Invites List:

NSW: Tony Armstrong (1)

NT: Cyril Rioli and Marlon Motlop (2)

TAS: Tom Collier, Aaron Joseph, Tom Bellchambers and Jay Bowden (4)
SA: Brad Ebert, Jared Petrenko, Nick Murphy, Levi Greenwood, Tom McNamara (5)

QLD: Sam Reid, Joey Daye, James Mulligan, Joel Smouha, David Hill, John Williams and Brendan Whitecross (7)

VIC: Matthew Kreuzer, Brett Meredith, Trent Cotchin, Patrick Veszpremi, Jack Grimes, David Zaharakis, Jarrod Grant, Scott Simpson, John McCarthy, Steven Gaertner, Callan Ward, Will Sullivan, Lachlan Hill, Hugh Sandilands, Harry Croft, Andy Otten, James Polkinghorne, Jeremy Laidler, Mitchell Farmer, Darcy Daniher, Addam Maric, Jackson Hall, Dan McKenna, Brent Connelly, Haelen Kay, Patrick Dangerfield, Guy O'Keefe, Ed Curnow, Lachlan Henderson, Chris Kangars, Clayton Hinkley, Ashley Hockey, Ashley Arrowsmith, Matt Austin, Myke Cook, Michael Dell'Aquila, Ryan Normington, Scott Selwood, Robert Tarrant, Matthew Lobbe, Ben McEvoy, Dawson Simpson (42)

WA: Cale Morton, Rhys Palmer, David Myers, Chris Masten, Alex Rance, Tony Notte, Tayte Pears, Paddy McGinnity,Matthew Deboer, Cruize Garlett, Jarrhan Jacky, Mayne, Bonney, Steven Browne, Simon Starling, David Gourdis, Luke Sampey. (17)

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Camp Invitees and State Screenings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back