Draft discusson thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah for crying out loud! Gaff is no more a wingman than masten or shuey. If gaff is going to be drafted it's to be a midfielder. If it's a winger people want, heppell has more of a chance at playing that role much the same as hurn played well late in the season on the wing.

What do you base this on?

You don't consider a wing part of the midfield?

Once the centre square bounce has occured a stoppage is a stoppage. Gaff from his highlights looks like he can play both inside and outside roles. He can get it himself plus also run past and recieve as a link player and run the lines. Looks like he has a fair bit of toe taking the ball away from packs as well.

Have now jumped off the Heppell bandwagon and have converted to Gaff.:thumbsu:

Except Green is an inside mid who likes to break free and kick goals.

Height: 179cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 24/08/92
Recruited from: Clarence (Tas)

Kevin Sheehan says: Quick and agile midfielder/forward who reads the game extremely well and wins contested footy. Won Tasmania's most valuable player in the 2010 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships and All-Australian honours where he averaged 25 disposals

Listed in the small forward section of the draft players listing.

Thinks himself as a Marc Murphy but can obviously play an outside role and likes kicking goals.

The ability to play forward and midfield is a good thing ............ isn't it?

I've previously stated that I see Gaff as a Chad Fletcher clone, but with a neater kick.

Gaff looks a hell of a lot faster than Fletcher ever was.

Sure, haven't seen Fletcher for years and watching Gaff's clip isn't much to go on but from a lot of reports Gaff is quick.

Anyhow, I just don't like anyone saying our most likely #4 pick is a clone of Fletcher ..................... bad karma maybe.:eek:

Are they televising the draft on Fox again? I didn't watch it last year but it might be more interesting this year cos it's pick 4. I heard it was a flop.... more boring than the brownlow.

Gaff looks a hell of a lot faster than Fletcher ever was.

Sure, haven't seen Fletcher for years and watching Gaff's clip isn't much to go on but from a lot of reports Gaff is quick.

Anyhow, I just don't like anyone saying our most likely #4 pick is a clone of Fletcher ..................... bad karma maybe.:eek:

Gaff tested quick, but will that speed in testing translate into what's produced during an actual game. It might, but some say it doesn't.

Fletcher got a rap for having a shit kick. But I don't think other areas of his game is worth denigrating. If Gaff plays a Fletcher type roll, but with better DE, then I believe it's a good thing. It also helps that he has more strings to his bow than Fletch.

I do think Gaff will star in this role and do it far better than Fletcher, in time.

Pick 4:
Gaff, Polec or Heppell. Outside of televised U18 state games I've only seen Heppell and Polec play a handful of games if it's between them I would pick Heppell because I think he is the classier player who always has time with a really good kick. But unlike others I still have faith in our recruiters who even if they were the worst they would still have a better idea than everyone watching highlight videos on bigfooty. All I want is the best avaialble I don't care about needs.

Picks 26 and 28:
This is where we can start allowing our needs influence our drafting but it really depends on who slides and who doesn't. Ideally I'd love a pacey HF/outside midfielder and a key forward. I don't think he is going to slide but Isaac Smith would be the terrific choice, 190cm winger with incredible pace. Maybe Cook or Darling will slide, but I'd happily settle for Luke Mitchel.

Gaff tested quick, but will that speed in testing translate into what's produced during an actual game. It might, but some say it doesn't.

Fletcher got a rap for having a shit kick. But I don't think other areas of his game is worth denigrating. If Gaff plays a Fletcher type roll, but with better DE, then I believe it's a good thing. It also helps that he has more strings to his bow than Fletch.

I do think Gaff will star in this role and do it far better than Fletcher, in time.
For the first half of his career Fletcher was a great kick.
Incredibly reliable with those sub 40m stab passes, which Gaff does similarly.
Still want Polec. Think he has more potential than Gaff or Heppell, and fulfills a need more too.

We will take Gaff with pick four, who I'm contempt with as he will be a good solid player.

But I think not taking Heppell will come back to bite us on the ass

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will take Gaff with pick four, who I'm contempt with as he will be a good solid player.

But I think not taking Heppell will come back to bite us on the ass

I don't think we will take Gaff. Just reminds me of the Rich situation. If you go through all the drafts, most clubs draft on potential with the first few picks then start drafting on who is performing at u18 level. Heppel's body is very under-developed...

I can see quite a few clubs passing on Gaff. I think WC will go with Heppel. I doubt Polec will be an Eagle either. Gaff might be GC bound with picks 9-11.

The full time recruiters have a hard job. If they get the pick wrong they cop it hard. But, they draft for the player in 5 years time not who is going to excel round 1, 2011. So everyone can rest easy.

Gaff. He has everything. Not sure why people say others have alot more upside, Gaff is a stick. He can certainly find the ball and works extremely hard. he is more of a ben cousins with a left foot. Heppell has an excellent kick, however Gaff's is pretty good and has many attributes that are better than heppells. he certainly wont slide 9-11.

Daniel Rich was performing well like Gaff yet he slid. The only reason I say he might slide to 9 is because Essendon, Lions and Tigers might target specific players with their picks. I guess we'll all see draft day.

I'm more critical of Fletchers off field drug issues than his on field performance.

It's pretty obvious he was a party boy, almost died in the US and was now caught red handed.

Somewhere I read that Gaff was mates with Shuey. Would that get him over the line if the club was at the stage of tossing a coin between say him and Heppell?

I don't think we will take Gaff. Just reminds me of the Rich situation. If you go through all the drafts, most clubs draft on potential with the first few picks then start drafting on who is performing at u18 level. Heppel's body is very under-developed...

I can see quite a few clubs passing on Gaff. I think WC will go with Heppel. I doubt Polec will be an Eagle either. Gaff might be GC bound with picks 9-11.

The full time recruiters have a hard job. If they get the pick wrong they cop it hard. But, they draft for the player in 5 years time not who is going to excel round 1, 2011. So everyone can rest easy.

I wouldn't compare Gaff to the Rich situation. I think there were a number of questions about Rich and there won't be a quality, explosive player like Hill available at our pick. It's true that Gaff has no real elite qualities, its hard to pinpoint something and say: he is elite at *that*. He is just kind of 7.5/10 or 8/10 in everything. Gaff is a very well-rounded prospect, and would be a great pick. I just worry about free agency and the go-home factor, which is why I would be open to taking Atley.

Gaff. He has everything. Not sure why people say others have alot more upside, Gaff is a stick. He can certainly find the ball and works extremely hard. he is more of a ben cousins with a left foot. Heppell has an excellent kick, however Gaff's is pretty good and has many attributes that are better than heppells. he certainly wont slide 9-11.

Agree that Gaff still has a huge upside. His body has a heap of development to work on and its been mentioned that his long kicking could also improve. From reports he is a very hard worker off the track getting his body right and skils right. He also has shown he has a huge work ethic on the field.

You can't say that with 3 preseasons, a bigger stronger body and 50 games AFL experience he won't be better than he is today.

I'm more critical of Fletchers off field drug issues than his on field performance.

It's pretty obvious he was a party boy, almost died in the US and was now caught red handed.

Somewhere I read that Gaff was mates with Shuey. Would that get him over the line if the club was at the stage of tossing a coin between say him and Heppell?

It s intersting that

FLetcher who was a wonderful kick in his eary years lost his kicking accuracy after the US incident.

Watch some of his perfect kicks in the 2006 Granny.

Gaff is quick, he's just intelligent enough to realise he doesn't need to use it all the time. Whilst I hate using the "see 2 minute highlight video" to prove my point, his highlight reel on the AFL site has some perfect examples where he has had to put on the after burners to create some space.

Yeh, I was talking to Gaff's best mate and potential draftee Sam Crocker, he said wc hadn't spoken to him but there was a very good chance of Gaff coming to us at pick 4. I asked him if he knew how Gaff would feel about moving west and Crocker said its Gaff's dream to play AFL, and he'd be happy no matter where he goes. He also mentioned he's good mates with Shuey, so that'd make moving west a lot easier for him.

I think wc would be crazy not to take that into consideration when choosing between Gaff, Heppell and Polec. We all know Shuey has star potential and im sure, like us, the wc coaching staff are terrified at the thought of Shuey returning to Victoria Judd-style. So adding a good mate of his to the list would be really good for both Shuey, Gaff and West Coast.

I wouldn't compare Gaff to the Rich situation. I think there were a number of questions about Rich and there won't be a quality, explosive player like Hill available at our pick. It's true that Gaff has no real elite qualities, its hard to pinpoint something and say: he is elite at *that*. He is just kind of 7.5/10 or 8/10 in everything. Gaff is a very well-rounded prospect, and would be a great pick. I just worry about free agency and the go-home factor, which is why I would be open to taking Atley.

Yeh, he is the complete package, a pure footballer.

He has elite endurance.

Earlier in the year after Champs when I was pumping up Gaff on here I pointed out a bit of play in the highlights vid where you could see him thinking 3 steps in front of the play.

He was on the boundary and waiting for Watson to link up for a handball, but Watson was slow to catch on and Gaff put it out in front of him, unfortunately it took a bad bounce and ended up costing them a goal, but you could tell from that little snippet how clever a player he is.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/104376/default.aspx

"His ability to read the play is just so good that he accumulates possessions. He quite often can read steps ahead of the play where he needs to be which makes him such a good footballer."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back