Draft Glenn Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

Get rid of Laidley now, or at the end of the year? It's an interesting question. Our young list offers some tantalising prospects for a new coach if he's prepared to put in the hard yards.

Clearly, if we get rid of him now, which I think is the appropriate course of action, we need a caretaker coach.

The issue is who would we get? I don't want King or Longmire. I couldn't stand Hardwick as a player, but word is he's got quite the good coaching brain. I just can't see Crocker as a caretaker coach. Blakey is probably another feasible option, but ehhhhh. Not sure.

Malthouse, Williams, Mark Harvey and Leigh Matthews are the only coaches with senior experience who could feasibly be available to us (at some stage) you'd think. I'm not including Terry Wallace because we're not that dumb. Of those four, you'd think only Williams and Matthews would possibly be keen, but they are both longshots.

The most important thing as far as I am concerned is, in the short term at least, we need a coach that the players will play for. The team clearly isn't playing for Laidley at the moment. So here's my waaaay out of left field idea;

Bring in Glenn Archer.

There is no way you can try telling me that the players won't play for Arch. He's got a good footy brain, and if he's just a temporary caretaker coach, he won't have the pressure of expectations put on him by the footy world. He'll nurture the young kids to play natural tough footy. He'll get the best out of the senior players who he has played footy with for years. And the media would love the story of North's favourite son saving us in our hour of need.

Long shot, but i'm getting wood thinking about it.

Buckley coach. Archer and Matthews assistants.

Unless Archer is giving away his job as a manager he can't be a head coach. I think Buckley will need someone with a lot of experience to help him at times. You have guys that cover the Defence, Forward and Midfield. Who were some of the best players in the competition in those areas and were tough, skillful players.

With these three you would expect a physically intimidating side, where skill and accountability were highly regarded, the kind of side that ground the opposition into the dirt quarter by quarter.

Four quarter efforts are currently rare as hen's teeth, as is some hardness and the skill element.

No way can Arch ever be a head coach. He isn't the most intelligent guy and he has no conviction in anything he says. The coach must be a pillar of motivation and direction and things like nervousness are contagious.

An assistant coach ain't too bad an idea as there isn't the pressure the head coach has to put up with and like you said he would communicate well with the players and they would respond well to him.

No way can Arch ever be a head coach. He isn't the most intelligent guy and he has no conviction in anything he says. The coach must be a pillar of motivation and direction and things like nervousness are contagious.

You have obviously never spoken to him in person. Very different to how he is on tv

I'd love to see Arch coach us but i just don't think he's capable of it.

I'd be looking at Matthews or Buckley. Hardwick would be the other option.

If we are talking end of season, then Williams comes into play as well.

If we happened to sack Dean now then Crocker will be offered the caretaker role until the end of the season, no doubt.

Nah... I don't think Arch would make a good coach. Maybe an assistant... but not stepping into the top job straight away

It's a romantic idea but unfortunatly not sensible. I'd really question Archer's ability to strategically analyse football games internally and externally, and then communicate these strategies to his 44 players - which are the important elements of being a Head Coach. In adition I think selecting a green coach with no high lever coaching experience, whether it be state level, or an AFL Assistant Coach, is playing with fire (and I fear for Brisbane at the minute).

John Longmire and Damien Hardwick are the sorts of people who should, and will be on the board's 'watch list'.

Id prefer if the club took the correct avenues and elects the best possible candidate.

Id almost prefer a non ex-North Melbourne player.

Nathan Buckley :thumbsu:

Anyone thinking Malcom Blight has rocks in their heads.

Damien Hardwick is extremely highly rated in the coaching fraternity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who gives a crap who is coach as long as he gets them playing fast, direct and tough football. Even if Laidley changed to this like in 2007 that would be great but he is to stubborn

Arch could never be a coach, maybe come down and help our backline players on a casual basis thats all.
Its time to look at a coach such as Mark Williams and maybe assistant coaches such as Gary Hocking. We need to get some hard nosed people in our coaching department not what we currently have. Time for good clean out and start again, same goes with our players list.
As for Darren Crocker as caretaker coach, c'mon guys let get fair dinkum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Glenn Archer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back