Draft picks or success?

Remove this Banner Ad

i think we are now at the stage that we dont NEED the best talent in the draft.
it would be nice of course, but now, i think we are just looking for another tall option in the forward line, just to give us some direction, as barker does when he plays.
this year, i see us winning more games, but probably just fall short of finals.
use 1st selection next year to pick up another big body, and aim for the 8.

i say go for broke. if we make it great, but if we dont, at least our young kids will have a season under their belt, and be better for it next year.
i still think 9-10 would be a good year this year. any higher would be well above expectations!!

Shown more on-ball has young Harry Miller than he has as a goal-sneak from my pov. To be honest, prefer than showing as well.

Not a great wrap for small foward pockets, never really had one at Hawthorn that I can recall (Lord probably fit's closest?) that was a pure 'goal-sneak' and that was it.

To the original question, draft picks, we're not going to make the finals.

I think everyone would love to say finals.

However, in today's current climate, you need quality draft picks to be able to achieve either a long period of success (not just a flash in the pan year), or the ultimate. Which is what we all want.

Short term pain for long term gain people.

binxy24 said:
I know this doesn't answer the question but I would love an Aaron Davey/Andrew Lovett/Daniel Wells type player.

I think you did answer the question :)

Alex_au said:
I think we missed the finals boat last week.

Definately didn't. That bottom 4 is pretty flimsy.

Even though I don't think it will happen, i think we should aim for finals.

We have a good list now. I say push them this year, you don't want them to ever stop playing for the flag.

Teams that play for Picks have no heart. I actually don't think any would, just a cover for a ******** year.

Draft picks and success

This may be the last year for priority picks.
I dont want to chase finals this year we arent good enough, I would rather go for the experience of finals next year with a few more kids.
Lets rebuild once and for all not have to drop again in a few years.
In a few years Crawf and Spida will finnish and a few more after that Croad, Hay,Smith will be 30 odd.
We need to get the kids to take there spots and keep the show going.
Ruckman and key position.(kids)

"I think we missed the finals boat last week."

nah the last train out to see is this week. (hah!)

plus we have a pretty easy draw coming up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go for finals still. God prioty picks are such a cop out. Of course I see their benefit. But I see more benefit in our young blokes carrying out the game plan effectively now, get their confidence up, and ready to make a crack at the finals next year. We can still add to our list by drafting sensibly, and not trading away our picks like we did in the past. I believe we have a list capable of pushing for high honours next season, we don't need two more picks. I think we'll finish about 13 or 12. With my prediction of no prioties for any team this year, except maybe carlton, we'd be looking at pick 4-6... that would be a huge pick in itself.

We are going to win 3 more games this year... so forget priorities please. Sure two more players would be nice... but losing 10 more games out of 12 this year wouldn't be very enjoyable at all.

I have the same wish whether the Hawks are top or bottom. I want them to get out there every week and do the very best they can. Nobody can ask more than that. If we win, fantastic, if we make the finals, great, and if we end up with good draft picks, then that's okay with me as well. However, playing for draft picks is not part of the Hawthorn charter. Losing on purpose is cheating.

Truer words have never been written, AH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft picks or success?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back