Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca AND Brayshaw to Melbourne?

Or do they still take a tall?

Two mids. Whilst McCartin is great, the Dees do have Hogan coming in, so there isn't a pressing need for a key tall.

Would this bring Lever back into the conversation

Unlikely. Surely you take best available, a bloke off a knee is a very high risk selection at pick 3. Best available is Petracca and Brayshaw.

Unlikely. Surely you take best available, a bloke off a knee is a very high risk selection at pick 3. Best available is Petracca and Brayshaw.

And a monumental need in midfielders.

I still think we'll end up with Brayshaw/McCartin which I would love but the duo of Petracca/Brayshaw is absolutely perfect for us.

They need more than just Hogan.

Petracca and Wright would be a good combo.

They can get a tall in 2015, best available. Whenever you compromise that with a very early pick you run a risk.

And a monumental need in midfielders.

I still think we'll end up with Brayshaw/McCartin which I would love but the duo of Petracca/Brayshaw is absolutely perfect for us.

Exactly, Jones and Tyson can't carry the whole midfield, and who knows when Trengove is back (if he will). Melbourne if given the choice will call Petracca and Brayshaw and then proceed to laugh at St Kilda.

Ahhh....yeah he was.

"The Carlton Football Club has strengthened its recruiting operations with the appointment of Luke Williams as Recruiting Manager."

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2013-05-02/blues-recruiting-stocks-bolstered
Rogers is the National Recruiting Manager with three recruiting officers and the rest reporting to him.
My understanding from the rumours is that this was also part of the problem. Too many Chiefs.
Reckon Williams left to due his actions, not Carlton's. Can't think of too many people who have worked for three clubs in the space of six months. Sounds legit after he walked out two weeks before the draft.
Luke Williams as with Geelong for 14 years with Geelong under Wells. He moved to Carlton but resigned after less than a year for "personal reasons". A few months later he came to us.

Rumours that when he was with Carlton as "Recruiting Manager" he felt Malthouse had way too much input. Malthouse wanting to be heavily involved was probably justified given the recruiting department's record before Williams arrived.
Rumour is false after Mick said Rogers could pick who he wanted.

"Let the baker bake the bread, just make sure you give me a good loaf"

Tigers still handed over a second round pick for Hampson after Williams moved to Tigerland.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones, Tyson, Vince, Viney, Petracca.

That'd go alright.

Brayshaw makes it even better, and if you are relying on Vince going forward there are problems. Vince is a good solid player, but Brayshaw will be better.

Brayshaw makes it even better, and if you are relying on Vince going forward there are problems. Vince is a good solid player, but Brayshaw will be better.

Yeah it does. And they have Dawes and Hogan to kick it to.

They need another key forward.

Yeah it does. And they have Dawes and Hogan to kick it to.

They need another key forward.

Midfields that win flags bat 8-10 deep. You can always at least contend to a flag with an elite forward and a few blokes who play their role. Melbourne will go tall in 2015.

Whilst 2 big forwards would be nice, I feel like over time we could develop a player to support Hogan. What you need is a dominant midfield and multiple goal kicking options. Petracca would help with both. If he plays along side Brayshaw, Viney and Tyson for his career he can spend plenty of time forward.

I think with the way footy is going guys like Robbie Grey, Wingard, Dusty Martin who play forward and midfield are just as valuable as the 30 possession getting who plays in the midfield all day.

I'm not fully buying this rumour though. I could see the saints putting out a teaser to build some interest. Let's see if it's consolidated over the next 24 hours.

That really does throw a cat among the pigeons!

Dees would have to really look at taking a tall (Lever? Wright?) and forgoing Brayshaw
How many people are going to keep saying this?

OUR MIDFIELD IS OUR BIGGEST NEED!

Petracca and Brayshaw help us try to solve that problem.

Yeah I only read the dozen or so posts saying that after I'd already posted :oops:

Might not be much of a pigeon-disturbing cat at all then, just affects the order of the top three.

Yeah I only read the dozen or so posts saying that after I'd already posted :oops:

Might not be much of a pigeon-disturbing cat at all then, just affects the order of the top three.

I'm excited, even though I know on Thursday night they'll read out Petracca as the number one pick.

The question then gets influenced by how the recruiters see next years draft. Given that 'Big Men Take Time', and given that Melbourne are likely to have a nice high selection next year too, from a list balance and timing perspective there is the potential that Melbourne could go with a mid and a tall this year and a mid next, rather than two mids this year and a next.

A bird in the hand however...

Exactly, fix your midfield first. The other things are minor pieces.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back