Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Durdin did get invited to the draft so I guess he is some chance of going in the top 10.

Yeah I won't but would you really pass away Peter Wright?

Depends on how you classify Wright. If you see him as a forward that can play ruck then definitely. We already have Clark, Stanley, Vardy and even Walker who can play this role. If you think he will definitely forge a career as a no.1 ruck then we will take him i think. Too good to pass on at 10.

According to Sam Cheeseburger at the HS, Carlton are huge fans of Marchbank and "couldn't call his name fast enough" if he makes it through to their pick and they reckon Essendon have done a heap of work over in Perth on Garlett. They reckon their mail is that Garlett will "definitely be gone" by Carlton's pick 19.
Ellis and Maynard >>>>>>>> Marchbank and Boekhorst.

Won't get off these bandwagons...

Hope CM can grow to be as tall as Josh Marchbank who is 202 cms.

Would be fitting to get Caleb if he's related to the Marchbank brothers who played with Carlton. Missed out on Ollie Wines who is related to Clinton Wines.

The fact Boekhorst is a mid might have him ranked higher than DVR who is a flanker. List balance might put him above a mid who doesn't carry the ball.

Personally I really like Weller but the Cats haven't shown any interset in him from what I can gather. I'd take Lever or De Goey before Wright. There are lots of question marks hanging over Wright IMO.
NOOOO we will take him thanks. Yeah I think you will take De Goey if he were to be available but I still see you taking Wright.

NOOOO we will take him thanks. Yeah I think you will take De Goey if he were to be available but I still see you taking Wright.
Yeah my suspicion is if De Goey is there we'll take him, even if Wright is still available. Wells loves him apparently! But Lever's name keeps bobbing up so who knows. Realistically it's down to those 3 at our pick I'd suggest.

TBH I think that whole 'the guy we wanted at 10 will still be there at 14' sentiment that has come out of the club is a touch misleading and bordering on complete bullshit.

With the way the potential order has shaken up since that trade was done, there's now guys who were once absolute LOCKS for the top 9 (Wright and Lever) who are a legitimate chance of sliding to 14, and similarly there are a couple of guys that looked certain to be around at 14 (Langford and Cockatoo) who may now be snapped up before then. This pretty much happens every year between the trade period and the actual draft too.

I don't think there was a specific target in mind when the trade was done. I think they looked at the draft and said 'Pick 7ish to 20ish is bloody even - let's go down a few spots because the talent is all so even in that range and, in doing so, get back into the 2nd round where someone decent will likely slide to 35 who won't be around in the 40s'.

If we end up ignoring a slider and taking a Marchbank / R McKenzie / Maynard type at 14, my theory is out the window, we were clearly fixated on one of these guys from day 1 to the point of ignoring superior talent, and I personally won't be happy about it. Especially if either of Jake Lever or Peter Wright go to Geelong at Pick 10 (or one or both are taken in the 11-13 range).

However, if we end up nabbing Wright, Lever, or any of the others I mentioned in my previous post at 14, I'll be very happy with the value there, regardless of who the Cats take.
The crows history in the first round (Dangerfield excluded) is pretty ordinary
I think geelong initiated this trade and then bullied you guys into accepting it
To save face you came up with the story that you can get the player you wanted at 10 at 14
Whoever you pick up will be lauded as the one you wanted.......
But we'll never know

I think geelong initiated this trade and then bullied you guys into accepting it
To save face you came up with the story that you can get the player you wanted at 10 at 14
But we'll never know

How can you bully a team into accepting a move like that.
Haven't you heard of the word NO, truly if they're not strong enough to use that expression then they shouldn't be in the job!What strong arm tactic could Geelong possibly have done to make them say yes,it not like the Sapranos.
The Crows wanted into the second round and that deal got them into it. You have to believe them on face value and hope they know what they're doing.Supposedly their confident the player they want will still be on the board at pick 14, heard that one before!
I still wish we had pick 10 personally.

Apparently the mail from his junior club is that Lamb is likely to be picked up be Essendon.
They could do with a decent third tall at either end, they could do with a big bodied mid to replace Watson and Goddard and with 2 first round picks they can probably afford to chance a boom or bust type. Besides from the this is where we rate him factor, I'd say there are a lot of other reasons why he'd be a really good fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But we'll never know
Pathetic troll - but anyway
Talia goes ok - AA
Smith goes ok - AA
Davis goes ok - just not for us anymore
We traded a first round pick for B Crouch in the mini - he goes ok
Ill come back if I think of anymore:)

Douglas goes alright too.
Obviously a few over sites on my behalf, those boys go alright

I was thinking more along the lines of John meeson, Fergus watts and my good mate Laurie angwin

Mind you the Hawks picked Mitch thorp at 6 over Joel Selwood so we can't really talk!

Obviously a few over sites on my behalf, those boys go alright

I was thinking more along the lines of John meeson, Fergus watts and my good mate Laurie angwin

Mind you the Hawks picked Mitch thorp at 6 over Joel Selwood so we can't really talk!
That was over 10 years ago. Since we got rid of Fantasia our recruiting has been excellent.

theres a couple of things i am struggling with:
- surely GWS dont overlook wright, they have no resting ruck
- surely GC/Geelong dont overlook durdin, both need a genuine tall KPD
- what does freo/adelaide do if goddard and durdin are gone
- how does essendon take with their first pick if its between weller/garlett and lamb
- if gws doesnt take ahern with one of 6&7, who is the next suitor

But we'll never know

The Crows early round drafting since 2005 has actually been pretty exceptional, as has been touched on by a couple of posters above. And yes, I am acutely aware that the club's performance in most areas other than drafting during the corresponding time period has been pretty shithouse, so you wouldn't be telling me anything new by pointing this out.

2005 Pick 16 Richard Douglas - the vast majority of players selected shortly after Douglas were complete busts, while Douglas has a Club Champion award under his belt and is pretty universally respected these days.
2005 Pick 32 Bernie Vince - again, everyone else selected in the 30s in this draft was a complete disaster so this pick was again very solid indeed. Bernie also won a club champion, and then ultimately netted us Matt Crouch in a trade once his best days were behind him.

2006 Pick 14 James Sellar - a bust, although the blokes selected with picks 15-25 in this draft were mostly complete junk too, so it was always going to be a tough ask to end up with anyone of note here.
2006 Pick 32 Kurt Tippett - if this draft was redone now, he'd probably be pick 3. More than made up for the shitty Sellar pick but unfortunately he went all Judas on us.

2007 Pick 10 Dangerfield - no need to discuss
2007 Pick 27 Andy Otten - very solid player. Has struggled with injuries but is certainly a best 22 player when fit
2007 Pick 30 Jarrhan Jacky - awful

2008 Pick 10 Phil Davis - would be far more established as one of the better key defenders in the league by now were it not for several freak injuries.
2008 Pick 28 Shaun McKernan - had talent, but no heart. This selection was redeemed in the following round...
(2008 Pick 44 Rory Sloane - every club in the league would love to have Rory Sloane running around.)

2009 Pick 13 Daniel Talia - go have a look at the entire first round of this draft - it was a disaster zone. Would go pick 2-3 if redone (Fyfe Pick 1). Arguably the best key defender in the game today.
2009 Pick 29 Jack Gunston - A beast. Unfortunately couldn't keep him here.

2010 Pick 14 Brodie Smith - AA this year, and not even playing in his preferred position yet. Look out.
No other early selections in 2010

2011 mini-draft Pick 2 Brad Crouch - pulled a trade out of nowhere to get this guy, despite a lot of pressure to take the hometown lad Ben Kennedy. He's an absolute beast. Pretty sure everyone can see that by now.
2011 Pick 27 Sam Kerridge - not yet a star by any means, but is certainly going a lot better than anyone else picked in the 20s of this draft (with the exception of Tom Mitchell who was a father/son selection).
2011 Pick 41 Mitch Grigg - opportunities were limited under Sanderson, but they won't be now. I expect him to become a very good player which is more than I can say for the vast majority of players selected around this point of this particular draft.

2012 - no early picks

2013 Pick 23 Matt Crouch - a bit early to judge but is a ball magnet and looks a surefire 200 game player in the Matt Priddis mould.

To have no selections in the top 9 of any of these 9 consecutive drafts (unless you include the Crouch selection), and still come out with a haul including Patty Dangerfield, Rory Sloane, Kurt Tippett, Jack Gunston, Daniel Talia, Brodie Smith, Brad Crouch, Richard Douglas, Phil Davis and Bernie Vince is a pretty huge effort, and one that I daresay would compare very favourably to most other clubs during the same period.

Prior to 2005, I'd agree that our early round drafting was pretty awful. This has well and truly been sorted out though.

On a related note, my money is on Adelaide selecting Laverde, Goddard or Wright if any of them are still on the board at 14. It's probably looking unlikely that any of those 3 will drop to 14 at this stage however, so I think our preference list would look something like (in order):

Laverde
Goddard
Wright
Lever
Langford

Backup plan: One of Cockatoo, Weller, De Goey, Ahern, Durdin, Marchbank (unsure who we'd like the best out of these).

Lever would be an excellent result in the eyes of most, and either him or Langford seem the most likely outcome at this point.

That was over 10 years ago. Since we got rid of Fantasia our recruiting has been excellent.

Fantasia gets a bit of a bum wrap

He wanted Kane Cornes, but Ayres wanted Angwin

He brought Taylor Walker to the crows

Levarde to Collingwood at Pick 5, seems to be Majority what People think will Happen
As a supporter of a club without an early pick, laverde is clearly my favourite player in the draft. Wouldn't shock me at all if he ended up the best player overall. Would be a great pick for the pies IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Crows early round drafting since 2005 has actually been pretty exceptional, as has been touched on by a couple of posters above. And yes, I am acutely aware that the club's performance in most areas other than drafting during the corresponding time period has been pretty shithouse, so you wouldn't be telling me anything new by pointing this out.

2005 Pick 16 Richard Douglas - the vast majority of players selected shortly after Douglas were complete busts, while Douglas has a Club Champion award under his belt and is pretty universally respected these days.
2005 Pick 32 Bernie Vince - again, everyone else selected in the 30s in this draft was a complete disaster so this pick was again very solid indeed. Bernie also won a club champion, and then ultimately netted us Matt Crouch in a trade once his best days were behind him.

2006 Pick 14 James Sellar - a bust, although the blokes selected with picks 15-25 in this draft were mostly complete junk too, so it was always going to be a tough ask to end up with anyone of note here.
2006 Pick 32 Kurt Tippett - if this draft was redone now, he'd probably be pick 3. More than made up for the shitty Sellar pick but unfortunately he went all Judas on us.

2007 Pick 10 Dangerfield - no need to discuss
2007 Pick 27 Andy Otten - very solid player. Has struggled with injuries but is certainly a best 22 player when fit
2007 Pick 30 Jarrhan Jacky - awful

2008 Pick 10 Phil Davis - would be far more established as one of the better key defenders in the league by now were it not for several freak injuries.
2008 Pick 28 Shaun McKernan - had talent, but no heart. This selection was redeemed in the following round...
(2008 Pick 44 Rory Sloane - every club in the league would love to have Rory Sloane running around.)

2009 Pick 13 Daniel Talia - go have a look at the entire first round of this draft - it was a disaster zone. Would go pick 2-3 if redone (Fyfe Pick 1). Arguably the best key defender in the game today.
2009 Pick 29 Jack Gunston - A beast. Unfortunately couldn't keep him here.

2010 Pick 14 Brodie Smith - AA this year, and not even playing in his preferred position yet. Look out.
No other early selections in 2010

2011 mini-draft Pick 2 Brad Crouch - pulled a trade out of nowhere to get this guy, despite a lot of pressure to take the hometown lad Ben Kennedy. He's an absolute beast. Pretty sure everyone can see that by now.
2011 Pick 27 Sam Kerridge - not yet a star by any means, but is certainly going a lot better than anyone else picked in the 20s of this draft (with the exception of Tom Mitchell who was a father/son selection).
2011 Pick 41 Mitch Grigg - opportunities were limited under Sanderson, but they won't be now. I expect him to become a very good player which is more than I can say for the vast majority of players selected around this point of this particular draft.

2012 - no early picks

2013 Pick 23 Matt Crouch - a bit early to judge but is a ball magnet and looks a surefire 200 game player in the Matt Priddis mould.

To have no selections in the top 9 of any of these 9 consecutive drafts (unless you include the Crouch selection), and still come out with a haul including Patty Dangerfield, Rory Sloane, Kurt Tippett, Jack Gunston, Daniel Talia, Brodie Smith, Brad Crouch, Richard Douglas, Phil Davis and Bernie Vince is a pretty huge effort, and one that I daresay would compare very favourably to most other clubs during the same period.

Prior to 2005, I'd agree that our early round drafting was pretty awful. This has well and truly been sorted out though.

On a related note, my money is on Adelaide selecting Laverde, Goddard or Wright if any of them are still on the board at 14. It's probably looking unlikely that any of those 3 will drop to 14 at this stage however, so I think our preference list would look something like (in order):

Laverde
Goddard
Wright
Lever
Langford

Backup plan: One of Cockatoo, Weller, De Goey, Ahern, Durdin, Marchbank (unsure who we'd like the best out of these).

Lever would be an excellent result in the eyes of most, and either him or Langford seem the most likely outcome at this point.
Pick 3 goes alright...

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back