Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Purhim out to stud? Lol.

What, Richmond can sell off his offspring at the summer horse sales?

They totally overpaid forthe final two years. But with three flags fans wont caee.
To be fair, Richmond cannot have reasonably predicted a season ending kidney injury that caused him to lose a lot of weight and fitness, the passing of his father, and then subsequent mental health battles.

But your final line of the post sums it up, we don't win the 3 flags without him. An expensive contract to finish up now is of no consequence.

Purhim out to stud? Lol.

What, Richmond can sell off his offspring at the summer horse sales?

They totally overpaid forthe final two years. But with three flags fans wont caee.
I mean it's not really a case of over-paying for the final two years. His salary got balanced throughout the term of the contract to help us from a salary cap sense. You could easily take the extra 400k or so each year that you don't think he's worth and shift it to 2017-19 so he got paid 1.3m those years if it helps you feel better about it

Totally agree with those saying another club taking him now wouldn't want to pay 1.3 per year over two years. I'm sure if he did want to move it would have to involve a change in contract where maybe he signs for more years at a reduced rate?

Realistically, what other team would really be interested given Dusty could check out any time now?

Even contenders would give it a pass, way too much risk, waaaaaay too much salary hit.

Let Richmond deal with both issues, physical and mental risk, $1.3m hit to their salary cap for 2023/24

Just throwing in my two bobs in.
To trade Dusty out of the club will come at a cost.
That cost will be to the RFC.
To off load an anchor of a contract like that for a bloke who thirst for the game seems to have all but dried up.
Will cost plenty?? Yep.
Whether it be draft picks thrown in. Part salary paid. Or a combination of the two.
Either way he either takes up 10% of the teams salary for the next 2 years or costs them in draft picks or players.
Can't see a club willing to take the gamble TBH.
Unless of course the package offered is to their benefit, where they have plenty of salary cap space to absorb the hit and add something of value to the squad in terms of quality players via the draft/or ready made players.
FWIW I think he's been a bargain in terms of those 3 AFL Cups sitting in the trophy cabinet down at Punt Rd.
As with everything in life it all comes at a cost.
Cheers Boys!

Being one of the contenders over the next few years, I would rather see Richmond limited with their salary cap. I would hate to see them go on a spending spree with 1.3 million to play with. Instantly puts them back in the window. Surely he stays now and possibly turns it around after a full pre season.

Being one of the contenders over the next few years, I would rather see Richmond limited with their salary cap. I would hate to see them go on a spending spree with 1.3 million to play with. Instantly puts them back in the window. Surely he stays now and possibly turns it around after a full pre season.

No one is giving Dusty that; no one can even be sure his heart is in it still. So he would have to take a paycut to leave, and why would he do that? I imagine he stays and focuses on getting right.

No one is giving Dusty that; no one can even be sure his heart is in it still. So he would have to take a paycut to leave, and why would he do that? I imagine he stays and focuses on getting right.
I always assumed he would be one of them players that lasts until they are 35 and still killing it. A down year doesn't mean much if he gets it right again like you say

The only thing its going to come down to is if Dusty wants out. If he does then Richmond will accomodate him regardless of trade value for carrying them to 3 premierships. its not going to be a better list management move

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder how he'll go next year fit, healthy, hungry and playing nearly exclusively in the forward line given that he won't be needed in the middle....
Let’s hope that both dusty and Fyfe can get healthy and back near their best would be great to see them play 19+ games at full flight again.

Sounds like most oppos on this thread think Dusty is cooked.

Which will be good for us next year.

With Hopper and Taranto in the middle,
It leaves Bolton and Dusty to play the half forward role and rolling midfielder.

Takes the pressure off these guys but also makes them less crucial in that first and second contest which means they can be damaging closer to goal.

Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.

If someone offered to pay $800k of his salary then I'd say the Tigers would be rapt with that outcome. It frees up SC space for big recruits (Hopper and Taranto).

But no way any other club is doing that.

Dusty won't be going anywhere. No chance.
Last year was the only realistic chance.

If someone offered to pay $800k of his salary then I'd say the Tigers would be rapt with that outcome. It frees up SC space for big recruits (Hopper and Taranto).

But no way any other club is doing that.

Dusty won't be going anywhere. No chance.
Last year was the only realistic chance.
Sounding like we can do Hopper and TT while still paying Dusty. Can see him transitioning to an 80% forward and it’s going to be horrifying for many a defender

Sounds like most oppos on this thread think Dusty is cooked.

Which will be good for us next year.

With Hopper and Taranto in the middle,
It leaves Bolton and Dusty to play the half forward role and rolling midfielder.

Takes the pressure off these guys but also makes them less crucial in that first and second contest which means they can be damaging closer to goal.

Can’t wait to see how it all pans out.
It's not that he's cooked. It's more like he's looks disinterested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back