Dustin Martins first 34 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

So how many other 20 year olds are there teams #1 Midfielder copping the #1 Tag yet still has as good a numbers as he does for a Midfielder?

His year to date has been nothing short of outstanding, and he would definitely be in contention for an AA nomination at the end of the year if his form continues.

Age is irrelevant. It's All Australian, not the rising star. The players who perform the best should get picked, not the best considering their age and experience.

Is Martin the best second year player in the comp? In my opinion, yes. But it would be a joke if he was gifted AA just because he is young. There have been far better midfielders this year, as I listed in previous post.

This is embarrassing, Richmond supporters. Do we have to blow smoke up his ass every time he plays a good game or gets a mention in the media? You can't use statistics to determine whether he has been 'better' than any other player. And even if you watched and analysed every single one of their first 34 matches - in the end - it's still only your opinion...

This is embarrassing, Richmond supporters. Do we have to blow smoke up his ass every time he plays a good game or gets a mention in the media? You can't use statistics to determine whether he has been 'better' than any other player. And even if you watched and analysed every single one of their first 34 matches - in the end - it's still only your opinion...

Well done. STFU other annoying Richmond Martin fanboys! Talking other excellent young players down (or players that were excellent when young) and using selective stats the way a few of you are is just stupid, ignorant and pathetic. He is a brilliant young mid and you finally nailed a top first round pick. Leave it at that.

Dustin Martin is not even that good. In 2 years he will be delisted. Will be shown up for a spud who gets loose ball then looks tough by pushing a few guys in the neck.

Would rather Voss as coach then Martin as a player

Quiet today as was a few other Tigers, but watch the haters flood the board everytime he has a non 3 vote match. He'll bounce back, upcoming opposition will rue his quiet game was not against them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very few players under 20 can handle a hard tag unless they are gut running freaks and even then they may struggle. Scully did okay with a bit of attention today and we know he has a huge tank; another I saw do well with a tag at that age was Palmer who also has a massive tank.

Point is though, match#35 doesn't change **** all, Martin is still a gem and a player every coach would sell their left nut for.

Will be if not already, the best impact player in the comp. What he can do in a short spell is astonishing. I would not be at all surprised if we are talking him up as the best player in the comp in another couple of seasons - I think Brandon Matera will be another of the same type albeit, playing a different role.

still think melbourne got it right, Scully has been amazing and Trengove has almost all bases covered including his tackling. I reckon J Viney will cover the grunt side of things in years to come.

still think melbourne got it right, Scully has been amazing and Trengove has almost all bases covered including his tackling. I reckon J Viney will cover the grunt side of things in years to come.

I have to say that I love Trengove. I'd make him captain next year, but I know it won't happen. Martin impacts scoring more than the Melb duo, but Trengove (especially) is a better mid.

Better than Selwoods.... Better than Judds....

If he can simply continue this form he will finish this season as the best second year player in the the last 30 years.....
Cyril Rioli was runner up in Hawthorn's best and fairest in his 2nd season (after finishing 6th in the B&F in his first season and playing in a premiership)

Judd, Selwood and Martin aren't the only footballers who starred in their 1st and 2nd seasons

People are prone to exaggerating the deeds of current players and quickly forgetting the past
Dustin Martin is a bloody champ, but there have been many young guns of equal calibre down the years

Greg Williams won Geelong's best and fairest and the AFLPA MVP award in his second season
Paul Hudson had 527 disposals, kicked 62 goals, polled 17 Brownlow votes and played in a premiership
Tony Francis had 586 disposals, polled 14 Brownlow votes, won Collingwood's B&F and All Australian in his 2nd year
Peter Matera had 535 disposals, kicked 32 goals, polled 18 Brownlow votes and All Australian in his 2nd year
Jason Dunstall kicked 77 goals in his 2nd season (inc 6 in the Grand Final)
Tony Lockett also kicked 77 goals in his 2nd season
Peter Sumich kicked 45 goals in his 1st season and 90 goals in his 2nd season
Paul Salmon kicked 63 goals from rounds 1-13 before injuring his knee
Gavin Wanganeen was selected as an All-Australian in his 2nd season
Nathan Buckley had 458 disposals & 21 goals in his 1st year, 512 disposals & 22 goals in his 2nd year
Mark Ricciuto had 427 disposals and 23 goals in his 2nd year
Simon Black- 416 disposals, 19 goals in his 2nd year (was an absolute star, played centre in the finals)
Mark Mercuri - 448 disposals, 25 goals and starred in a premiership team in his 2nd year
Gavin Brown had 493 disposals in his 2nd year
Adam Goodes - 300 touches and 40 goals in his 2nd year
Wayne Carey - 298 touches and 38 goals in his 2nd year
Shaun Rehn - 314 disposals, 272 hitouts and 12 Brownlow votes in his 2nd year
Glen Jakovich - 405 disposals, 10 Brownlow votes and the star CHB of the premiership team in his 2nd year

I could keep going, but I'll stop now...

If he is not in AA considerations it's a joke.....
I think Martin would've come under consideration earlier in the season, but he hasn't held his form over the past month

Remove this Banner Ad

Dustin Martins first 34 matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back