News Dylan Buckley officially a Blue !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan is hard at the ball. :thumbsu:

Just needs to bulk up so he doesn't get brushed aside.

I've seen him play aswell TG, he's not the hardest player going around, nor is he soft. It's more his body shape that's keeping him from being a physically minded player.

Simpson is still a skinny sort, but he is tough as nails and this is what Buckley will become IMO. He will never be a physically imposing player but he will be hard at the ball once he adds some size.

So in essence, I agree with you.

if I remember rightly, Jimmy came to us when he was 25 years old and had already filled out. Give Dylan a couple of years and we will see him put on a load of bulk. I dont think that he is ever going to be a big as his dad, but he is going to be a pretty solid kid.

Thinking of someone else entirely Dram.

Jimmy was our equal youngest player ever when he debuted at 16 years 6 months 18 days.

http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Jim+Buckley

Maybe you are thinking of the Blackwell father/son combo as Wayne was 24 when he came to us, and was a solid bloke.

I was looking on wiki and they have his age next to his DOB... I transposed the 51 over the 59... my bad :D

That makes sense. My brain sometimes tricks me the same way. Could you imagine players debuting at 16 these days or 15 like Tim Watson. It was rougher back then too.

Hope he turns out to be a great player for us but that short highlights clip doesn't instill me with confidence. I know he hasn't played much this year due to injuries, but right now, I can't help thinking that pick could have been better used on someone like Aaron Hall.

Hope he turns out to be a great player for us but that short highlights clip doesn't instill me with confidence. I know he hasn't played much this year due to injuries, but right now, I can't help thinking that pick could have been better used on someone like Aaron Hall.

Weren't most of those highlights from last year when he was a bottom ager?

He has a lot of talent, make no mistake about that.

We look after our own at Carlton. :)

Pretty sure we're doing everything possible to stack weight on the guy. Remember Kade Simpson never put on weight, and turned out to be one of the very best outside mids in the AFL. Talent's the most important ingredient, and Buckley has loads of it.

:)

Pretty sure we're doing everything possible to stack weight on the guy. Remember Kade Simpson never put on weight, and turned out to be one of the very best outside mids in the AFL. Talent's the most important ingredient, and Buckley has loads of it.

I support our best-talent-available recruiting and I have faith in all the supporters who have seen the talent in Buckley; I just wish there was a clip showing it, as seeing is believing.

You have to remember that for every Kade Simpson, James Hird and Nathan Fyfe, there is another thousand Nottes who don't make it because their body mass couldn't handle the rigors of AFL.

Who's Flyfe? Never seen Notte.

Hird was never small like Simmo. Simmo is still light. I remember watching Simmo play when he first started - he was very similar to Buckley size wise. But Simmo was always supremely talented, and that compensated for his light frame. Lappin was the same. You need to have top-end skills to make it with a light frame. Buckley could be the same. Jeffy Garlett's not exactly a monster either - another example. Reckon we've snapped up a margin with Dylan.

Simpson is still a skinny sort, but he is tough as nails and this is what Buckley will become IMO. He will never be a physically imposing player but he will be hard at the ball once he adds some size.

Simpson goes above and beyond with his attack on the footy. Never takes a backsward step and while not maniacal like Robbo, he's as courageous as they come. While I've seen very little of Dylan, it'd be a bonus if he ended up with Simmo's willingness at the contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simmo is an amazing footballer. He IS the best winger in the AFL. No doubt. He gets almost no recognition from the incompetent footy media, but the opposition coaching teams know all about how damaging Simmo is and put a lot of effort into combating his effectiveness. He consistently breaks lines, and slices through opposition floods with ease. He does it regularly - week in week out, season after season. You'll never see his name mentioned in the increasingly irrelevant Media-Opinion-AA-Award thing.

The other thing about Simmo is that he rarely gets injured, despite the intensity he plays the game at.

The point here is that physical stature of a footballer is not a predictor of whether they can withstand the physical demands of the AFL. It's more complex than that. There's been countless examples to prove that point, some I've already given.

Anyway, Buckley will never have the physical power of a Chris Judd, but he doesn't need to.

You have to remember that for every Kade Simpson, James Hird and Nathan Fyfe, there is another thousand Nottes who don't make it because their body mass couldn't handle the rigors of AFL.

Buckley will make it. He has the same ambition and drive as his dad had.

A year in the Bullants and hopefully cemented a place in the senior (VFL) side by the end of the year.

Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Works for me as well... give him a couple of runs in meaningless games (maybe against Bitchmond) just to give him a taste for the big time. But leave him in the Ants all year... feed him lots of chicken I think.

Blues hold back recruit Dylan Buckley

CARLTON father-son recruit Dylan Buckley says the Blues are taking a cautious approach with his pre-season training as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury.
Buckley, the son of Blues premiership centreman Jim, ruptured ligaments in his left ankle playing for his school, Ivanhoe Grammar, in late April.

Buckley said today his ankle injury was progressing well and he hoped to join his teammates for full training after Christmas.
"The injury is good. It is coming along really well, the club has been really good about it,'' he said.

Blues hold back recruit Dylan Buckley

Impressed with his interview. Smart, confident, level-headed. A quick, skilful, talented, Murph-type midfielder, with massive upside. Already adding some weight. Looking forward to his progress. This could be the steal of the draft. If he was injury-free, and had a few extra kg's he would have gone MUCH higher in this draft, but then we wouldn't have managed to land Bootsma. So it's worked out perfectly.

Suddenly I'm rather excited by this kid. Just watching those interviews, he speaks very well and obviously has a very good head. Then I noticed clips of him running at training and his physique is already bigger than I imagined.

Yes, he'll never be a monster, but already I can see how his frame can/will fill out and I reckon he could be an absolute gun in years to come. Perhaps leadership material too. Here's hoping.

LOL

Okay, perhaps "******" is the wrong word. He's still thin, but his actual frame was wider than I had imagined. I figure it could fill out pretty well in time. But I havent seen him up close :p

EDIT: What the? -Bigger- is starred out?

For lack of a more eloquent wording, I'll just say that I'm stoked that we landed Buckley so late in the draft. As has been said, he'll never be a monster midfielder, but I think (hope) he'll continue to bulk up as he matures. With his pace and slight frame, I'm seeing shades of Simpson in him. If he has as much heart and guts as Simpson as well, he'll be a gun.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dylan Buckley officially a Blue !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back